Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 400 max xt that's got a stutter when crawling and seeming when you first start moving but goes away once your moving at driving speed and I don't mean a fast speed but has to be more then just a crawl or it will stutter.
Not sure where to start looking I have had people tell me everything from rear diff to secondary clutch to valve adjustment.
Haven't had time to really look at it as I was in the middle of a move but should be able to start at it soon.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
Welcome to the site

You're talking about an engine/power stutter?

Or a belt/clutch shudder at engagement RPM?

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
So belt or clutch, then.

When's the last time you cleaned the primary clutch real good? What shape is the belt in?

I remember my spring cup was stuck in my primary on my bike, made for weird engagement behavior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been quite sometime as the machine has sit idle for about a 1 year and half or so. But the belt was good before that. I have also had suggestions that it could be in the rear diff a valve adjustment or the secondary.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
also had suggestions that it could be in the rear diff a valve adjustment or the secondary
Highly unlikely.

If it's an engagement/off-idle issue, that's the primary. While you're in there cleaning it, change the one-way bearing and maybe grab a set of the slider shoes, those are cheap enough and quiet down the "back-n-forth" knocking noise, if you've got any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts