Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compare them for the Xmr thinking Vfjohn anyone got the clutch from him. How does it compare to the rest thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
VFJ rocks. He spent nearly an hour on phone with me talking exhaust and clutches. I'm planning to purchase his clutch this summer. My justification, his customer service. I'm sure something negative will eventually get posted about his clutch, or customer service but I haven't seen anything yet. In performing my research, I spoke to a representative at CV Tech and a few other companies. I also tried to speak to a representative at Airdam. I called Airdam 6 times, left messages and no one every responded. The representative at CV Tech and others were helpful and provided various insights into changing my clutch. In the end I discovered VFJ's clutch was a lesser cost and felt I received better customer service from him as compared to other companies I spoke with.

You can find reviews on the clutch manufacturers on the various ATV forums with both positive and negative reviews. Based on the posts I have personally read, the negative reviews seem to come from a lack of customer service and rarely from issues with performance. To me the whole discussion of which clutch is best is like watching everyone here argue over oil, voiding warranties, whether Chinese knock off led light bars are as good as Rigid or whether a Max chassis is too long. In the end you have to try it yourself to see what does or does not work. I have never seen anyone complain about a lack of performance improvement from upgrading their clutch. In my case I'm going with what I experienced from the company and trusting the the multiple positive feedback posts I have read aren't B.S.

As I tried to state before I edited this, it's likely all manufacturers get their clutches from the a few CVT manufacturing plants. TEAM was one such plant identified to me as making clutches for the companies discussed below in the next post. Whether or not that is true I can only repeat what I was told by one of the companies I spoke to. I in no way am suggesting they are all the same clutch. I also am not suggesting one is better than the other. I am merely stating these companies likely don't make their own clutches because the cannot afford the infrastructure in-house. Therefore logic dictates they farm out their work to a large corporation like TEAM. TEAM or whatever company who is already in the business of manufacturing CVT clutches and has the infrastructure in place to manufacture clutches to the customer's personal design and engineering specifications. In this case customer means anyone who has contracted with TEAM to build a clutch, takes that clutch, slaps their label on it and sells it as "their" clutch, not TEAM's clutch. Bottom line in the end they all work or the companies would not continue to sell or have them manufactured.

As for my comment about the STM secondary, I was advised by VFJ to keep my stock secondary. I have read STM makes an awesome secondary, but based on his recommendation I'm keeping my stock secondary. I do not have an STM installed. I have not ridden an ATV with a STM secondary installed. Therefore I cannot validate whether or not the engine braking exists, is better or worse than the stock. I am simply stating I was advised by someone that everyone else seems to regard as a highly knowledgeable source, to keep my stock secondary.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
VFJ rocks. He spent nearly an hour on phone with me talking exhaust and clutches. I'm going to get one of his this summer. Reason, customer service. I'm sure something will eventually get posted but I haven't read a bad word yet about this clutch. I spoke to CV Tech and tried to speak to Airdam. I say tried because I called Airdam 6 times and left messages and never heard a word. I spoke to CV Tech and they were helpful, but in the end VFJ's clutch was cheaper, he's got a great attitude and all the good reviews didn't hurt. Plus he's just up the road a few hours away. To me the AD vs CV vs VFJ discussion is like religion and poltics. If you search on this or the other CanAm forum you will find several positive or negative about either and a few who went from one to the other for whatever reason. Most complaints seem to boil down to unresponsiveness of the companies. Based on what I've read most people are happy no matter which one they buy, probably because they are all come from TEAM mfg to their specs. Based on my initial experience and feedback from others I'm leaning towards the VFJ. One thing I was told by both was if you still want engine braking then stay away from the STM secondary and keep it stock.
Little bit of misinformation here. The CV Tech and air dam are the same clutch and are NOT anything like the Team primary that VFJ sells. The QSC is similar to VFJ as it is based off the Team parts. There are some differences between them as well.

QSC uses a stronger center post and a billit fixed sheave and is also built to fit inside the clutch housing. The only 2 parts on it the same as the VFJ are the moveable sheave and spider assembly.

The VFJ unit is built entirely by team, has cast sheaves and requires a spacer behind the clutch housing to flex the housing out enough to keep the clutch from hitting it.

That said, both the VFJ and QSC are very similar in performance too.

The other option is STM for a full billit primary. They are a very nice clutch and work great, but are also the most expensive.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My stm engine brakes down to 4mph in high and 2 in low on a moderately steep hill with the vfj. It's a lot more controlled engine braking instead of getting your head slammed forward when you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought a QSC/STM combo for my 1000 and it woke it up a lot! Like a completely different bike.

I bought this because I wanted a clutch and VFJ's weren't going to be out anytime soon.

Let me tell you this though, Johns customer service is second to none! He is a true ambassador to our sport. Takes hours and hours on the phone to explain products and combinations that will work for you. I bought my fully muzzy from him and was pleased with the service and advice he gave.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bottom line for most people is airdam is $200 more with zero custom service. Team industries clutch is the same performance for $200 less and great customer service. I love my new primary!! Qsc not sure how he is but I know airdam has had the worse service for over 5 years I know of! That tells me go somewhere else!! And who needs a billet primary! Unless I'm not seeing some performance gains I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
One thing I was told by both was if you still want engine braking then stay away from the STM secondary and keep it stock.

You sir have been told wrong. The STM has Engine braking even with the non-EB helix.

With the VFJ/stm set up it is just as strong if not stronger than stock.

Where do you get your info? I know John did not tell you that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I know a snowmobile racer who told me that a total new clutch may throw the harmonic balance off by being lighter and it may wear out all the bearings in the motor .... Anyone ever seen this or thought about it at all to me it mKes a little sense but I'm not a gear head by no means at all. I am very interested in the qsc primary for sure . But he also said I may get better performance from a weight and spring kit and not thrown any bearings out . Also a stm secondary looks great but I'm not sure if it will help me I drive hard pack and sand trails and will drag race my buddies for fun will a secondary help with this ? And how?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I know a snowmobile racer who told me that a total new clutch may throw the harmonic balance off by being lighter and it may wear out all the bearings in the motor .... Anyone ever seen this or thought about it at all to me it mKes a little sense but I'm not a gear head by no means at all. I am very interested in the qsc primary for sure . But he also said I may get better performance from a weight and spring kit and not thrown any bearings out . Also a stm secondary looks great but I'm not sure if it will help me I drive hard pack and sand trails and will drag race my buddies for fun will a secondary help with this ? And how?
I run 26 bighorns on 14 inch rims it's a MAX and I ride 2 up alot I am a big boy too 6'5" 385 lbs my wife is 140 ish I have a straight line intake, air box mod , slip on pipe and a power commander 5. This stuff helped but the way guys talk about clutching on here I would of been better off doing a clutch alone because overall I'm not impressed with what I have yet I can do good wheelies but I still need to rock it hard in high to do a wheelie to 40 mph in low it's no problem I could easily flip it over so I know it's mak more power I was just expecting more how much would I gain with a sym secondary and a qsc primary for my style of riding

·
Registered
134 Posts
Everyone i ride with uses QSC primary including myself have been since they came out ... we are mud riding guys and have never taken a bearing out of a motor lol my personal opinion would be its easier on the bearings cuz its so much lighter.... we ride high horsepower bikes some pushing 115 RWHP after nos with 30 inch mud tires and havent ever had problems with the clutches or motors.... QSC is 100 percent gonna be better then getting new weights and springs for your stock clutch believe me there a stock clutch couldnt come close to handling the HP of some of the bikes i ride with, if you have the money i truly recommend the QSC especially if your a mud riding guy

·
Registered
134 Posts
I run 26 bighorns on 14 inch rims it's a MAX and I ride 2 up alot I am a big boy too 6'5" 385 lbs my wife is 140 ish I have a straight line intake, air box mod , slip on pipe and a power commander 5. This stuff helped but the way guys talk about clutching on here I would of been better off doing a clutch alone because overall I'm not impressed with what I have yet I can do good wheelies but I still need to rock it hard in high to do a wheelie to 40 mph in low it's no problem I could easily flip it over so I know it's mak more power I was just expecting more how much would I gain with a sym secondary and a qsc primary for my style of riding

i know you hear alot of people say when they got QSC/STM combo its completely turned there bike into a new bike with the power difference you feel.... there not lieing you do a QSC/STM combo after riding on stock clutches you wont believe how much of a difference it makes its indescribable its almost like you added 20 HP somehow its crazy wat good clutches can do

Reactions: brutewing

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not a mud guy just a fast trail rider trying to relive the younger days when I could ride all day on a sport quad. And money is not the issue its the fact I cant stand when things break. My last quad a limited 07 800. Overheated 1 time on the trail and it was gone the next Monday so when I do something to make it faster I really want to make sure it will be just as durable or more than stock

·
Registered
135 Posts
One thing I was told by both was if you still want engine braking then stay away from the STM secondary and keep it stock.

You sir have been told wrong. The STM has Engine braking even with the non-EB helix.

It was VFJ who told me to stick with my stock clutch. I did not mean to imply there was 0.00% engine braking with an STM. I'm simply restating what I was told.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input but I bought a cv tech from Russell Coker super nice guy. I'll buy my exhaust from Vfjohn

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts

It was VFJ who told me to stick with my stock clutch. I did not mean to imply there was 0.00% engine braking with an STM. I'm simply restating what I was told.

This is where I disagree with John. but hey he is the expert.:th_smiliethumbsup: I feel the STM back shifts way better and it also gets rid of that awful belt whine.
The STM will not make your bike faster but it sure as hell improves the ride ability. The stock clutches Can-Am runs are complete and utter junk.

Once you get any of the aftermarket Clutches you will never go back. In my humble opinion.:thumbsmilie:

Reactions: sadsack

·
Registered
436 Posts
So to all you clutch gooroos I know I'm going with a qsc primary but I'm undecided about the stm secondary will it make my bike faster and pull harder on hard pack and sand trails ?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
STM secondary will backshift a lot quicker. Good for high load conditions like mud/ sand.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Not every machine benefits from the STM secondary enough to justify the $600 IMO. However, ALL the Can-am machines benefit from a different primary. For all around trail riders I don't usually recommend the STM. For guys with big tires and mud riders it's almost a necessity.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ya I avoid mud whenever possible I just ride as hard and fast as I can so a new secondary won't benefit me and my riding style? Well when I'm in there putting a new primary on I will replace the belt in there a better belt out there now than oem ? I know years ago it was oem at the top of the hill but I will only put the best one on .... So please let me know if there is something better

1 - 20 of 39 Posts