Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smith Marine in New Britain, PA New Britain, Pennsylvania, Can-Am, Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo, ATV, Utility Vehicle,motorcycle, pwc, Snowmobile, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessorie, Apparel

I've owned and ran quads for 20 years. I've had more quads than I can count. It's my passion. Of course as passions go, you end up wanting the best. That's why I ended up with a Can am. I had an outlander then sold it. HUGE mistake. I went out and got a Renegade and LOVE it.

Here's my story - My Renegade ran good but had a flat spot in the mid range. Idled like new, WOT was like brand new. Just bogged a little at mid throttle. I usually work on my own quads but don't have the scanner (of course) so took it to Smith Marine in New Britain, PA. I drove it up to the garage and handed over the keys. I got a call back from the owner 24 hours later and he said, "Good news, we found your problem... I think" I said, "Okay, what is it". he says "I think your engine is blown up." I said "WHAT?!". He goes on to tell me that it 's completely locked up. Won't budge or start. He was willing to tear into the engine to confirm but he's quite sure it's blown. I was furious I asked what his guys did to it. He told me that they took it out on the road and were doing high speed tests and it was fine but when the guy put it up on the lift he started it and it immediatly locked up. I asked him why he was doing runs on the road when all I asked was for him to run the computer test. He told me you have to run it with the computer on. I said that was obserd. He immediatly switched stories, this time claiming that it may not have been run hard, just put on the lift and and blew up there.

I asked what he was going to do about it and he said "nothing". He told me that he didn't want to work on it anymore and that I had to come pick it up. He said he'd do me a favor and not charge me the $100 diagnostic fee for hooking up the computer!!!!

Never ever ever have I had this happen to me. As final warning about them. Our conversation ended like this

Me - Has this ever happened to you before?
SM - Sure, it not uncommon
Me - Are you telling me that you often have vehicles brought in running and then have them blow up while they're here
SM - Of course we do! That is the nature of how machines work!

I said, thank you. I'll come pick up my blown up machine now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Holly chit!!!!! I would be wareing my phone out calling every BRP number I could find then move on to lawers. Damn, I feel bad for you.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
is this new

Is this a new machine

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Sorry to hear. My local dealer installed main bearings in wrong and it wiped out my motor. They did say they were sorry and they tried. Cost me $2200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Incredible! I would not be happy, and would not have been as nice as you were with them. And would not let this go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Running your mouth on the forum

Id like to set the record straight as far as this persons issue goes. I am a 15 year certified brp master technician and do this every day. This customers atv did come in running however what he failed to mention was the fact that the air intake was full of water as well as signs of water in the engine. Ive seen plenty of 4-stroke main bearings that would seize up then brake free again when they cool off, this is what was meant as "not uncommon". May this guy should either check his washing skills or go back to the guy he "just" bought it from. Further more the atv in questions showed other signs of submersion and miss treatment, and as we have no streams or ponds to dunk it in and did not was it prior to its service there is no other way the water got there other than it was there when it came in. As a professional in the industry i get really annoyed when people " run their mouths " and dont tell the whole story or think they know what they are talking about. Owning a handful of atvs doesnt make you an expert but working on them every day i think kind of does. Please i would love a response for this post especially from those who do this for real and not for fun in their back yard.

·
Registered
666 Posts
As this shows, every story has 2 sides...

·
Registered
827 Posts
This could get messy.....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
This is exactly why you have to take these internet rants with a grain of salt. People sign up just to come complain sometimes, and we only ever get one side of the story. If an established poster has a gripe than its a lot easier to take as being legit. But when someone pops on here and their first post is about how their dealer or BRP screwed them over there USUALLY seems to be a back story. The above shouldn't come as a surprise, there was a thread on here the other day and the just of it was "I swamped my machine, what can I do to hide it from my dealer when I bring it in for my 10 hour so I dont lose my warranty".

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is exactly why you have to take these internet rants with a grain of salt. People sign up just to come complain sometimes, and we only ever get one side of the story. If an established poster has a gripe than its a lot easier to take as being legit. But when someone pops on here and their first post is about how their dealer or BRP screwed them over there USUALLY seems to be a back story. The above shouldn't come as a surprise, there was a thread on here the other day and the just of it was "I swamped my machine, what can I do to hide it from my dealer when I bring it in for my 10 hour so I dont lose my warranty".
Exactly.... and we wonder why somtimes dealers wont be loyal towards warranty... few bad apples ruin the bunch. :th_smiliefrustrated

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pretty much sounds like the OP swamped his machine and wanted it checked out because it wasn't running right. Then when it locked up, he couldn't accept the fact that it was his mistake and begins slandering the dealer to try and get a freebie.

On another note.. how did the dealer know he was being slandered on here and come to post his side??

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Yes there are 2 sides to every story for sure. If the second member telling the story is correct it kind of irks you that the OP would not tell the whole story. A lot of dealers get a not so great name when they won't warranty something at times. You never seem to hear the REAL story most times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I usually stay off the forums too for this reason, it really irks me when someone pulls this stuff. Remember you can'T trick the pro that does it every day. Always best to tell the truth to the dealer we are not out to screw anyone, we have enough to do.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Somebody get a mop & clean up all the blood on the floor.... :th_smiliepissed: Theirs a knife stuck in somebodys neck !!!!!!! :th_smiliedance: :clapsmilie: :yahoo: :th_smiliethumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts