Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my machine that is not built for rock crawling rock crawling again and well I grenaded the diff again lol. Anyways does anyone have any experience with the halo 30 lockers? Or any other diffs for that matter, I have a ride coming up in two weeks and need this thing back together pronto

·
Registered
2021 Defender Max Limited
55 Posts
Well considering the lift and BFT I would expect that. Halo Billet full diff is your future imop. I worry with a 30" tire lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try the smartlok diff swap. Ive had 0 issues since installing one two years ago. I only run 34's abd 4" portals but its a way better setup IMHO.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try the smartlok diff swap. Ive had 0 issues since installing one two years ago. I only run 34's abd 4" portals but its a way better setup IMHO.
I was running the billet super atv locker and billet halo diff case for the other half of the diff. So of course neither of those parts broke. I just destroyed the factory spider gears and pinion. And it’s not the first time. I think it’s just time I went with the halo 30 so I won’t have these issues anymore

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Vendor
241 Posts
What axles are you running? How much gear reduction?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
774 Posts
If I was going to do rock crawling, I would install portals for the gear reduction. Less stress on the diff.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would definitely not go smart lok. It is not a true locker and you would be replacing clutch packs all the time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ThatWhiteKid

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What axles are you running? How much gear reduction?
Y’all’s 2.0s and 45% reduction. Never broken one of y’all’s axles besides the front right lol. But it’s always the same piece that breaks on it and you just can’t help it with can am on that front right.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was going to do rock crawling, I would install portals for the gear reduction. Less stress on the diff.
Yup way ahead of ya lol I’m built for the mud with 30in of ground clearance my friend. Rocks are not friendly to bikes like mine but I figured eh why not

Reactions: Freewill

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Y’all’s 2.0s and 45% reduction. Never broken one of y’all’s axles besides the front right lol. But it’s always the same piece that breaks on it and you just can’t help it with can am on that front right.
LoL! That ol' front right axle tip! 🤣 Sounds like you've got it all buttoned up. Maybe its time to go with those 8" 60% portals? 🤷‍♂️🤣

Reactions: Freewill

·
Registered
2011 Can Am Outlander 650 XTP; 2014 Can Am Renegade 1000 Xxc
14 Posts
Guys bust diffs up here in the mud and skeg all the time. I haven’t heard of a single person breaking their mudnwheels diffs after they’ve upgraded to them. They’re highly recommended by everyone that run serious machines that I’ve talked to. Could try contacting them and asking.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys bust diffs up here in the mud and skeg all the time. I haven’t heard of a single person breaking their mudnwheels diffs after they’ve upgraded to them. They’re highly recommended by everyone that run serious machines that I’ve talked to. Could try contacting them and asking.
I have a halo on order but I’ll give them a call. I have a ride this next weekend and the halos are on back order so if the mud and wheels can over night one somehow then I may go that route.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LoL! That ol' front right axle tip! 🤣 Sounds like you've got it all buttoned up. Maybe its time to go with those 8" 60% portals? 🤷‍♂️🤣
Nope not for me I break to much stuff as it is lol. I sit too high for my liking as is. I ordered some Elkas a few weeks ago to try and soften up the ride and lower it down a little as well so we shall see😂

·
Registered
55 Posts
On a side note.. When removing front diff. Passenger side opening is instructed BUT it doesnt say to spin it 3/4 so pinion faces driver side otherwise it wont fit through opening. I learned last night. Frustrating. Also I dont know if limited model and coolant hose is part of issue with me? Riveted brake line bracket doesnt help either! Installing pin locker now from supetatv. Any tips???

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve pulled my diff out a lot more then I should have lol. I have a tcr front steering rack so it’s like 4 times the size of factory. So I find it easiest to pull my winch out and loosen the front bumper up and pull it from the front. You shouldn’t have any issues with the super atv locker though. It’s the same size as factory

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes I thought about that while I was trying to remove as an option. Diff installed. Today I will tackle wiring switch and finish a arm/axles. Overall it wasnt that bad. Directions are pretty easy follow with diff assembly. Superatv looks to be quality parts. Only thing I didnt like were the springs on the pin lock plate thingy. Seems like a weak link? Filled with Lucas, shimmed properly and hoping that tiny axle spline doesnt give me issues!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes I thought about that while I was trying to remove as an option. Diff installed. Today I will tackle wiring switch and finish a arm/axles. Overall it wasnt that bad. Directions are pretty easy follow with diff assembly. Superatv looks to be quality parts. Only thing I didnt like were the springs on the pin lock plate thingy. Seems like a weak link? Filled with Lucas, shimmed properly and hoping that tiny axle spline doesnt give me issues!
If it is an issue just grind the tops of the splines of the axle off that way the snap ring still holds it in but the pressure isn't all on just that small part if the axle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are u serious canam? Grinding? What benefit comes from making it weaker??

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ yup I will not be doing that lol. I enjoy paying $50 for another axle when they break cause super atv warranties them lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
^ yup I will not be doing that lol. I enjoy paying $50 for another axle when they break cause super atv warranties them lol
True but I think it would be worth a shot. I've never done it cause I've never had the issue but all my stuff is basically stock.I have seen guys do it and it fixed the issue. If they didn't break you wouldn't have to change them out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts