Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I was running the billet super atv locker and billet halo diff case for the other half of the diff. So of course neither of those parts broke. I just destroyed the factory spider gears and pinion. And it’s not the first time. I think it’s just time I went with the halo 30 so I won’t have these issues anymore
Who set the gears up? Were they shimmed and meshed properly?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I did it myself and set the backlash. I’m actually on my second one because I didn’t do the backlash correctly the first time around lol

·
Registered
2021 Defender Max Limited
53 Posts
Interesting. I didnt have a dial gauge so I used stock 1 shim. It was sloppoy. I did 2 shim, then 3 shims next. 3 shim was tight as a drum. No play at all. 2 shims seemed logical solution and I could just detect smallest amount of movement so I went with 2 shims total.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Less then 10 miles and its broke. Simple gravelly 20ft hill. Think passenger axle broke off inside? Not torn apart to see yet but very un-impressed with superatv pin lock or can am axle?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update.... Driver front axle broke inside diff. End with circlip stuck inside. Any tips on how to get it out without removal of diff.?? Weird that it broke yet driver side was locking up and pass. side wasnt engaging? Is both axles driven off that litlle end of splines?? Wow what heck is going on engineers from BRP?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just the right side. Common issue seems like, although never had any issues with it personally. Grind off the splines but leave enough so circlip still holds axle in. I think a lot of people get it out with a magnet.

Edit: I misread and thought you said passenger had broke. I didn't know driver side had that issue also. The axle that spins more freely will spin until the visco locks in and spins both.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts