Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey group,
I have the Can Am heated grip/throttle combo coming as well as a pair of LED pods. I was wondering if I can pull power for the LED's from the same accessory plug as the heated grips or will it overload the circuit. Thought or experience?

Thanks,
HD

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
96 Posts
You may have to check the wattage for each device. Watts/volts=amps. Best guess.... heated grips are probably 40 watts. How many watts are your pods?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have to check the wattage for each device. Watts/volts=amps. Best guess.... heated grips are probably 40 watts. How many watts are your pods?
60W. Follow up question. Is there another keyed power source that you know of that would be easy to tap into? I'd prefer not to wire the LED's straight to battery.

HD

·
Registered
2019 Can-Am Outlander XMR 1000R
55 Posts
60W. Follow up question. Is there another keyed power source that you know of that would be easy to tap into? I'd prefer not to wire the LED's straight to battery.

HD
I'm using power from the highbeam headlights for my LED pods.
I soldered the positive LED wire into the highbeam connecter and grounded my negative LED wire to the frame/chassis
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using power from the highbeam headlights for my LED pods.
I soldered the positive LED wire into the highbeam connecter and grounded my negative LED wire to the frame/chassis
View attachment 104448
This configuration controls the LED's with the high beam switch, correct? I have a handlebar mount toggle switch for my pods so I need a keyed power source separate from the other lights. I was just thinking of maybe tapping off the winch power...? However, I will be using the LED's while plowing snow so the winch will be in constant use. I wonder if that will cause the LED's to fluctuate...

·
Registered
Outlander Max X-TP 1000T
286 Posts
Piggyback off the accessory socket for your switch to trigger a relay for a separate new fused feed from the battery. That way nothing will have a possibility of being overloaded.

Eyewear Cable Electric blue Wire Magenta

·
Registered
2021 Canam Outlander 1000 Max XTP
383 Posts
Hey group,
I have the Can Am heated grip/throttle combo coming as well as a pair of LED pods. I was wondering if I can pull power for the LED's from the same accessory plug as the heated grips or will it overload the circuit. Thought or experience?

Thanks,
HD
What about your cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Piggyback off the accessory socket for your switch to trigger a relay for a separate new fused feed from the battery. That way nothing will have a possibility of being overloaded.

View attachment 104449

I think what Orion is saying is use the aux power source (cig lighter) as the power source to trigger a relay. The relay will act as a switch for direct to battery power which would have an inline fuse.

GREAT IDEA!

·
Registered
96 Posts

There are empty relay sockets in the fuse box but I haven't investigated what it would take to utilize them. The quick solution would be to use something like in the link above.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Outlander Max X-TP 1000T
286 Posts
I think what Orion is saying is use the aux power source (cig lighter) as the power source to trigger a relay. The relay will act as a switch for direct to battery power which would have an inline fuse.

GREAT IDEA!
Almost - but instead of the cig socket use the Accessory Wiring Pigtail that I posted a picture of above and piggyback off of the designated socket in the loom around the headstock/fuse box area. You’ll need minimal power to switch the relay so it won’t affect anything else you’ll be running from it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Almost - but instead of the cig socket use the Accessory Wiring Pigtail that I posted a picture of above and piggyback off of the designated socket in the loom around the headstock/fuse box area. You’ll need minimal power to switch the relay so it won’t affect anything else you’ll be running from it.
I'm liking this idea. Trying to build it in my head...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Super simple even though it sounds complicated- check out that Amazon link. One of the pictures is the line diagram "normally off positive trigger. The relay will have a common - "normally open" and "normally closed" pigtail. Normally open is what you want as its open until you energize the coil with the aux power lead as Orion described. Let us know if the line diagram makes sense. If not we can break it down according to the numbers on the relay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts