Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you keep you atv or sxs safe once you park it somewhere on a ride? I can’t stand leaving anything in public unattended for any longer than I have to, especially atvs as you can stick it in neutral and push it away. Want to buy something that’ll reduce the risk but isn’t crazy bulky that I have to carry around. I’ve heard of brake locks, the good old chain and lock and these brake caliber locks. Anything else that works good?

Don’t know what’s wrong with me but I am crazy about locking doors, setting the alarm system and making sure things are locked up even though I live in the country and nobody is around. If I leave the house to go do something for even two minutes doors and everything has to locked up like Fort Knox . don’t know if I’m crazy but I’ve always been this way. Anybody on here a therapist?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pop a gps tracker on it that notify your phone as soon as the machine moves..

Or just put a empty gun holster on the machine.. that will make em think twice

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pop a gps tracker on it that notify your phone as soon as the machine moves..

Or just put a empty gun holster on the machine.. that will make em think twice

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Haha, like the empty holster idea. I’ll look for a gps tracker, but aren’t they pretty expensive? That’s probably the best thing to do if I don’t want to carry anything around, and if it gets stolen you can just keep tracking it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
On my other machine i used a spot trace was around $100-$150 for the unit and i think around $10 per month for the subscription. If you buy the recommended batteries for it you get about 6 months out of them.. Unit is nice and small and you can hide it anyware... If i were to do it again i would find a unit i could wire direct just to save pulling it to change out batteries...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Python cable lock thru wheels front and back.

If you have a winch you can also run the winch cable around whatever will keep it from rolling and lock it tight since most all require key on for winch operation.

That, and a couple warning stickers should keep a thief moving on to look for an easier target ;)

More stickers on the way....

My personal favorite

·
Registered
608 Posts
Obviously always pull the key, zip up all bags, grab phone off holder, etc etc even when just using staging area restroom.

Dont forget when hauling/travelling as well.

Heres a scary story...
A buddy of mine was heading to the dunes and while he was in some roadside attraction with his wife and kids some scumbags STOLE THE QUADS OUT OF THE BACK OF HIS TRUCK in broad daylight in a busy parking lot by lifting them out somehow.

True story

Bet pit stops on the way to the riding area wont be the same now.
Even when I go in a store Im always eyeballing my rig!

Youre not safe anywhere.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously always pull the key, zip up all bags, grab phone off holder, etc etc even when just using staging area restroom.

Dont forget when hauling/travelling as well.

Heres a scary story...
A buddy of mine was heading to the dunes and while he was in some roadside attraction with his wife and kids some scumbags STOLE THE QUADS OUT OF THE BACK OF HIS TRUCK in broad daylight in a busy parking lot by lifting them out somehow.

True story

Bet pit stops on the way to the riding area wont be the same now.
Even when I go in a store Im always eyeballing my rig!

Youre not safe anywhere.
The only problem with the winch is that if the person trying to steal it has any more than 1/4 or more of a brain (which most of them don’t) they would pull the manual release on the winch, give it some slack and pull it out. At least it would give you time before they take it and most people wouldn’t realize that there’s a release but it’s what I may just do as a temporary until I find a good gps.

Holy, they must’ve had bodybuilders stealing the quads out of the back of the truck to lift them out. It’s really surprising that nobody noticed it, unless they were bodybuilders and nobody wanted to confront them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unless you anchor the quads down there is really no way of making sure nobody steals it. If there is enough people, they’ll just lift the quad into the back of a truck or trailer and cut it later, but if you anchor it they’ll have to cut it To set it free.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When i first started riding i had welded 4 lengths of chain to my trailer.. If i knew i was going to be stopping for supper some ware i would lock the front and rear of the machines... Anybody with a big hammer or cutters could have gotten it off but it was mostly just their as a deterant

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i first started riding i had welded 4 lengths of chain to my trailer.. If i knew i was going to be stopping for supper some ware i would lock the front and rear of the machines... Anybody with a big hammer or cutters could have gotten it off but it was mostly just their as a deterant
A deterant just like Junglemans stickers :LOL:. I think I’d be scary to have that thought in the back of your head that the quad you just stole may have GPS trackers and thatyou could have a gun pointed at you. Seems like too much of a risk to me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Whatever slows the four tweaked out scumbags down and moves em on to an easier target!!!

My winch doesnt release under pressure.
Cable around the trailer and back to the quad, tight, cable around a tree in camp, tight.
Of course with winch rope thats kind of pointless, all tweakers I know carry sharp knives hence the python cables.

Having to get out the bolt cutters and cut more than one thing while theyre freaking about their or their buddies head turning to red mist may keep them moving on ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whatever slows the four tweaked out scumbags down and moves em on to an easier target!!!

My winch doesnt release under pressure.
Cable around the trailer and back to the quad, tight, cable around a tree in camp, tight.
Of course with winch rope thats kind of pointless, all tweakers I know carry sharp knives hence the python cables.

If they have to get out the bolt cutters and cut more than one while theyre freaking about their or their buddies head turning to red mist may keep them moving on ;)
I’ll try putting my winch under some stress and trying to disengage it, if I can’t maybe this is-what I’ll be doing to keep it safe when I’m parked somewhere.

I know that If the winch is strained out and it breaks, it’s not very nice. Wouldn’t want to be the guy that eats the winch after cutting the cable.

When I still rode my 1986 Honda a while back, it broke down and I was being towed by my Buddy by my winch (neither of us had any quad experience). My quad had no brakes (because it’s a Honda) so I couldn’t keep the line stretched out so when my buddy gassed it, the line snapped by the hook and of course I didn’t have my visor down so the line came back and hit me right between the eyes. Any more to the left or right and I would’ve been blind in one of my eyes. I still use steel wire as winch line but I’m very careful with it and I’m going to replace it once it gets worn.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lucky man

Yep, tight cable and even rope should be respected at all times.

None of my winches ive ever had would diconnect into freeplay by hand when tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow it is so scary to have that thought in the back of your head that the quad you just stole may have GPS trackers and that you could have a gun pointed at you. Seems like too much of a risk to me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
When i trailer mine on an open trailer i put like 4 ratchet straps on it. I know they can be cut, but two of them are looped through the footwells, and the other two are wrapped through the rims. I also make sure to park in front of windows, and sit where i can see my rig at all times. I'll even send in the mrs. to do her business before me at rest areas. I always have something that sends projectiles on my hip or in my console when we travel anyways. ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Full coverage insurance. If they wan't it that damn bad, they can have it. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts