Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He was my biggest with a bow and vary happy to have the opportunity to get him and the greatest part was my son was with me so I had the skull hydro dipped so he could have him for years after I’m gone. It was special to both of us. Shot him at 38yrds he went up the hill following his doe realized his was in trouble, so down the hill he came on a dead run right at me thought he was going to kill me back.... I was at full draw getting ready to shot again and he piled up 12yrds from me what a rush. And after the fact I was thinking and just where did you plan on shooting him again???? Man that could have been bad , my son was the smart one he got behind a tree. Me I don’t know what I was thinking just wanted to put him down ASAP!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hey that came out good!

Had one charge me one rifle season. Thought I dropped him 1st shot, went down to where he was and he busted out of the brush where he was hiding, antlers lowered head twisted to the side with intent to do me harm!
Dropped him sliding literally to me feet.

With a bow would be an oh shit moment for sure!!!
Glad you and your son are alright.

Man I love them mulies lookit all that MEAT!!!!
Toad for sure
Congrats

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Our dad passed away a few seasons ago just after midnite of opening weekend friday (so technically he held on till the opener) so every year we do our best to get one for pop.

We didnt,,,, couldnt hunt that 1st year but the next season I got this one opening day rifle and wanted to do something special with it.
My two brothers got nice bucks too but they werent into getting theirs mounted so instead of having a traditional mount done I did this.

He looked more multipointed thru the binocs but it all happened so fast and he is a shooter with 2 tags in my pocket. So 330yds boom and down out of sight.
I still wasnt ready for what I saw when I hiked up there.

Getting a blacktail in rifle season sporting velvet is highly unusual. And I love these big pacific forks.
This ones for you pop!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Crushed a nice 3point opening day archery this year.
I love my rifle but bowhunting is my passion.

40yds double lunged didnt go 40yds

Gotta love those easy blood trails.
Makes up for the other kind.

Hunted his twin brother that was running with him down on sunday. Took all day but I found him early in the afternoon, had him at 30 but when I got a good look at him he was another big fork so I passed.
Im not an antler snob or a trophy hunter but I had been scouting this bachelor herd since well before archery season and knew for a fact there are bigger in this area.

I had all 3 weeks of the season off so I focused on the herd buck, who outsmarted me over and over again haha then it became personal and I got so close! So many times! Day after day!!!
That buck is unkillable with a bow lol!
Really looking forward to matching wits with him again this season.

Opening morning of rifle found him in the crosshair, safety off... and I just couldnt do it.
He deserved it. He earned it.
Hes a survivor.
And hes good, brilliant in fact.
I dont think ive ever focused on a smarter buck. He knows all the tricks!

Hes #1 on my hitlist this year.

I have a couple crappy phone through the spotting scope pics from early july.
Our archery season starts third sat in august.
The outlander did great and added so much to the hunt.
Ive had other quads but not like this one.

It made runs between spots an adventure, sooo much fun.
Sometimes Id take a break after that buck beat me again and just go for a ride!

This season was top 5 in memory for sure even if I did eat my second tag because I was being picky.
I was on bucks and passing bucks every day. Had two close encounters with bears, met some great guys and repeatedly saw, video'd and took pics of a pair of albino fawns.

We hunt all public national forest otc b-zone wild blacktails

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Tell me more about them mulies!
I"ll bet the backstraps on your buck were 3ft long and as big around as my arm!

I have a buddy that archery hunts idaho every year and he gets some toads!

This is my best buck archery or rifle. Got him with the rifle although I jumped him like a quail or a pheasant and dropped him with a running shot in bow range after a lonnnng stalk.
Ps wish you could have seen his twin brother. But I had only 1 tag left at that point.

I know guys in mulie country, especially in wyoming that wouldnt shoot this because hes too small by mule deer standards but I did alright for a public land blacktail I think.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Couldnt get it done with my 2nd tag during archery season the year before last too but finished up with this buck opening day of rifle.
110yds chip shot.

First time in my life I got to put 5 on my tag where you enter number of points!

These are just a few of the recent ones Im proud of.
As Ive matured Im focused more on the mature bucks.
I pass young bucks, save em for the kids and the rookies and the guys that dont care about size ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep lots of meat on him ,rutting mulie..... had him made into summer sausage , Salami and jerky
Him and I meet before but was after a nice 5x5 that looked like a white tail rack on a mulie but a cougar got him so I started after him,all public land and fair chase!!!
On the way up we we’re making a plan and we we’re going to set up on a ridge with the climbers my boy was going to videotape the hunt. Got up there started get things ready and unloaded, I just couldn’t do it told my son we’re leaving the stands here and staying on the ground.( hard vary hard to hunt mulies from a tree makes for real long days lol) went in on the ridge waited for light and guess what his on the other ridge with a hot doe!! We backed out circle around him and had to come from below them (stupid wind) though we blew it when we had a little fork horn blow out of there like his butt was on fire, I still don’t think we spooked him not sure want that was about but we kept at it getting closer and moving slower. Did really good I thought had a fawn bust us so it was do or die ranged him made the shoot and the boy said good hit and I agreed boys like his 60yrds standing on the hill but I don’t have a shot all I see is legs he wobbles and bolts down the hill ,he was trying to make back into his canyon . Got one lung and cut his hart. Can’t wait tell this year!!! But I think I’m going to try and get a white tail this year,but you never know!!! I’ll

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Outlander and I middle of September Beautiful weekend early season archery full moon and elk around me bugling all night long it was awesome love it and can’t wait tell I draw my elk tag!!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice bucks!
Yeah see, your "average" bucks are our "big" bucks.
Im ready to finish out my hunting career in mule deer country.

Man you just described blacktail hunting to a T!
Except throw in a bear encounter or two. Bears and mountain lions are getting out of control here.

Im getting better at sitting for long periods and glassing.
Especially since all the burns. So much open country now Im putting together and practising long range sniping. And picked up a sig kilo rangefinder this season.
Our shots were rarely over 100...now you can glass 1000yd spots easy!

Tried a treestand the last couple of seasons (bears ran me out of my ground blind more than once so I gave up on that) A millennium. That thing is stable and all day comfy! Huge platform!
Yet to get anything out of it. Passed some small bucks. Its gonna work I just know it!

I run trail cams, you get to see whats REALLY in an area. Makes it easier to pass small bucks when all I have to do is get out my phone and remind myself what Im holding out for and they do exist

These bear and mtn lion things are losing their fear of man.
My buddy got stalked by a pair of mtn lions this season.

The city folk in san francisco and l.a. passed statewide laws years ago outlawing dogs for bears and mtn lion hunting. And mtn lion hunting is completely illegal.

Srry, just screenshots.
Photobucket got weird so I dumped my online vids and I get internet scouted, stalked on utube so secret squirrel there.

Meet Scarface
He and I have history, unfinished bidnez, and a tentative truce at the moment (great story there) lets just say I did that to his face, but he deserved it. I should have finished him there but hes just hunting too.
I dont hunt the hunters.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You like trout?

Thats cool your son hunts with you!
We always made it fun for our kids but,,,,
Not a one of them could give a shit about hunting or fishing or anything outdoors except I have one who is a fishing guide!!!!! Yay!

Just got some fresh steelhead pics from him....

·
Registered
568 Posts
we have a handful of hunters on here.. me being one of them. My grandfather was a HUGE outdoorsman. Grizzly bear rug, moose shoulder mount, countless whitetail mounts, a mule deer mount (i have this one), and a jackalope lol.

We traveled all over to hunt. His last hunt was a moose hunt, and fitting for him, earned him a boone and crockett pin, which he was buried with back in '96.

We hunt for meat, and to help out the farmer to our south, so we didn't get too many 'big-ins'. I was given one of his rifles two years ago prior to the season, and on a whim i took it out hunting that season in a new blind location on our family property, which he also used to hunt on. I was able to drop my biggest buck to date, with his rifle, on that land that year. Last year i didn't see squat but turkeys lol. However i have fun everytime i am in the woods because i spend time with my cousin, his son who has taken up the family tradition of hunting, and my grandma who still lives on the property too.

Waiting on the mount still. He isn't the biggest buck, but it was more of the story behind it that matters to me :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really into black hills carp aka trout lol . I like predator fish large and small mouth bass mainly funny story I’m deathly allergic to fish can’t eat them but love love educating them!!! Catch a few eyes here and there but mainly bass!!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are a
we have a handful of hunters on here.. me being one of them. My grandfather was a HUGE outdoorsman. Grizzly bear rug, moose shoulder mount, countless whitetail mounts, a mule deer mount (i have this one), and a jackalope lol.

We traveled all over to hunt. His last hunt was a moose hunt, and fitting for him, earned him a boone and crockett pin, which he was buried with back in '96.

We hunt for meat, and to help out the farmer to our south, so we didn't get too many 'big-ins'. I was given one of his rifles two years ago prior to the season, and on a whim i took it out hunting that season in a new blind location on our family property, which he also used to hunt on. I was able to drop my biggest buck to date, with his rifle, on that land that year. Last year i didn't see squat but turkeys lol. However i have fun everytime i am in the woods because i spend time with my cousin, his son who has taken up the family tradition of hunting, and my grandma who still lives on the property too.

View attachment 97287

Waiting on the mount still. He isn't the biggest buck, but it was more of the story behind it that matters to me :)
All of them are trophies when they got good story’s and memories behind them!!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hahahahaaa
Basshead!!!
Tourney fishings a huge thing here lol
My buddys are all bassheads except a few.
Everytime they show me pics of some lunker (couple of guys throw those 9" swimbaits and focus on huge bass)
I say
Man...lookit the fillets on that thing!
Thatd look reallll good in my deep fryer hahahaaaa

1 - 20 of 136 Posts