Can-Am ATV Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I dont do the big shoots anymore but the western trail classic is here on our course every year.

110yd bigfoot target is the longest.
Aim for the coors can in his hand and go for who buys burgers for lunch.

Want to see some long distance consistency...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I always run a 7pin sight.
Sight it in with 100 below the 80 pin but above the bottom of the sight inside the aperature then use a paint pen to put a dot on the crosshair.

Its cheating, I know, but I dont shoot for points just braggin rights & never was much good at stacking pins.

120 would be the bottom of the sight then mark the riser for farther away ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I run a single pin maxed out at 100. 125 top of the bubble. When in my tree stand (white tails) I set it at 30 Aim 4” low for 20 and 6” high at 40. When on the ground play it by ear lol. I ran a 5 pin for years but my tiered old eyes sure like that nice clean site window with out all those pins cluttering things up (y)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I hear ya, Im screwed if I dont wear my glasses and my flip up clip on polarized lenses block the peep...thats why always practice in what youre going to hunt in, facemask, gloves etc.

Im getting better at having the patience to sit. After a lifetime of spot and stalk/stillhunting it goes against everything I want to do but I got a millenium stand and when Im up in it I can dream about whats over the ridge and think about that high basin but theres not much I can do about it.
Wild mtn blacktails are notoriously hard to pattern but Ive had some great sits!
Havent killed anything out of it yet...
Does right under me & passed several small bucks.
Maybe this year!
Got a couple killer setups in mind. Shooting lanes already cleared in one from last year, got so close to that giant 3...came down early because boredom and close to dark on night 3 (bears, especially scarface live there)

Figured it wasnt going to happen again might as well climb down early.

Anyways him and his bachelor herd came over the ridge heading right towards my stand as I was loading up my backpack at the bottom of the tree...busted!
5 more minutes Id have had him DOH!

Also, practiced out of my stand at home out back. The old neighbor lady next door thinks Im nuts lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Man I think we’ve all been there lol happen to me a couple times. I’m learning to stay put tell said time to meet back at the pickup. No bears but I’ve been damn near ran over by elk in the dark ( twice now) dat will get your adrenaline going!!

And yeah the hunting mulies from a tree.... better plan on a long long boring day cuz your probably not going to see much but it could happen

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Oh man all it takes is a split second and a lonnnnng boring day watching squirrels nap and blue jays flit around and the whole meadow is a different place when I look up and theres a forked horn at the watering hole that just appeared out of nowhere or crunch crunch of deer coming in behind me (line of does walked literally right under me)

I had that big buck the 1st nite! he was coming, I even got to full draw alls he needed was to step out but wouldnt you know it a freaking truck came down the old road and he froze and let the oblivious LOUD TALKING road hunters pass on by then he faded back into the timber....
Go figure.
No one EVER comes down that road.
Just my luck.
Took him two nights to come back up & I convinced myself he wasnt gonna...

When I checked cards scouting he wouldnt show back up for weeks after I was in there even tho I did everything for scent control.
You cant fool those big bucks.

I pulled my cameras a month before the season.
I dont cam that area anymore.
Ive seen enuff.
Dont cam the core areas, blows em out. Too many other secret water holes they can hit, just this ones his favorite ;)

Tree stands are awesome. You really dont have to go that high, just high enough.
Only had one old herd doe look up other than that they never do.
Love it

·
Registered
565 Posts
160 yard shot and those arrows are in that target pretty deep still.. that's amazing.. i wonder why his draw weight is because those arrows took off!

I'm lazy.. i'm sticking with my cross bow lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
thanks.. he did a great job considering the DNR cut his cheek wide open! you can kind of see the line, but i think it looks more like a colic than a straight up slice lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Oh yeah, I see it now that you point it out.

Well he still looks good.
What is the dnr looking for in your area?
Ive heard of the dfg taking elk teeth and we have to surrender a bear skull upon harvest,, you get it back after theyre done.
But they dont take anything from our deer at this time.

Hey dont feel bad.
At least you can blame the dnr.
When I was a rookie caper, I kind of messed up on the first one I got mounted.
He fixed it but, yeah kind of embarrasing haha

·
Registered
565 Posts
they cut the cheek to check the back molars to determine the age of the deer. in some counties you have to surrender the entire head for testing, but you actually do not have to do either if you don't want to. I just chose to stop and get my 'successful deer hunter' patch that they hand out :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Ahhh gotcha.

Id stop in too.
Helps with their research.
I got picked to keep track of harvest and send in waterfowl wings and main tail feathers for two seasons.
It was an honor to me.
Always loved sending in bird band numbers and fish tags and getting the certificate that shows where banded/tagged etc.
Know some guys that got a buck and when they walked up on it discovered it was radio collared.
Love that stuff.

Our biologists try to manage our deer but its so political, they choose to ignore the recommendations and spend all the money on mountain lion and now, wolf research.

160 yard shot and those arrows are in that target pretty deep still.. that's amazing.. i wonder why his draw weight is because those arrows took off!

I'm lazy.. i'm sticking with my cross bow lol
Its all about kinetic energy.
You can blow through a deer and sink deep in a target like that even with a lower draw weight with a good heavy arrow setup.
Better aim a little higher at 160 tho haha

Light fast arrows are good for close range.
I gave up chasing speed after making pincushions out of a couple of bucks...

Give me a good heavy arrow double lung passthru anyday 😉

121 - 135 of 135 Posts