Can-Am ATV Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
They dont get old acting like a whippersnapper.

Love to cruise the rut area in nov and when Im duck/goose hunting in dec/jan the winter range is a great place to see some monster mulies.

Too bad those tags are only for the ultra rich and the rich cattle ranchers here....

Lol,
As far as "not seein em" " no big bucks here"....
Some of my best big buck spots are literally right off the roads, oh you can hike in and /or hunt the gnarly canyons/basins too.
But yeah, was layin back on my quad bags last season making a plan keeping an eye on him when trucks came up the road I just folded in the spotter, put the binos down and a bandanna over them, grabbed another piece of jerky and the powerade bottle and said hey, hows it goin.

Not seein nothin huh.

Yeah tough huntin, nothin to see here thats for sure.

Only two guys caught me glassin but I park where I can see incoming and I know their truck so np.
Tried to get them in on it, theres some quality bucks in the bachelor herd besides the one I was after but.. gets pretty shitty up there.
They opted for "run em down to us" haha

·
Registered
589 Posts
is glassing a no-no? or are you just being sneaky about it?

unsure of the rules on mulies or out west.. one day i'd love to go out there and bag a mule deer like my papa did back in the day

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I hunt blacktail and if you want to bag a mature buck you learn to be as sneaky as they are so yeah, the second one....sneaky is my middle name (y)

Hate to be that way but thats the way it is.
This particular buck I targeted got seen twice when he crossed the road, once during bow season and once during rifle.
The rifle guy would have got him because he was used to outrunning me and stopped to look back.
The guy threw up with his front scope cap on lol
I schooled him on see thru blizzard caps ;)

I dont mind sharing, just not my best spots if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
589 Posts
yeah if you hunt public lands, i wouldn't share my secret spots either lol.. on my old property i had a cherry spot. Right outside the swamp on a main drag/highway.. Seen them as they were going to the swamp and as they were coming out.. Main reason why at one point i went 7 years in a row with meat in the freezer. Sadly that land got sold (even though it was supposed to be given to me and my brother). So now i hunt a different 40 acres. Been pretty successful but always wanting to be MORE successful.. i have still NEVER taken 2 deer in a single season. Hope to change that one day

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
All public land all the time.
Hmmm Ive hardly never not filled both tags except a few seasons I could probably count on one hand.
Life getting in the way or being picky like last year are usually my undoing on tag #2.

Of course one of your whitetails or mulies equals two of our average blacktails meat wise so youre still doing great as far as the smokers/freezer are concerned.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I forget, do you run trail cams?
Srry, crs.

Greatly increases my success rate on mature bucks but also contributes to my epic failure on #2 when I hold out because I know whats really in an area.

Love to have 40acres!
20acres
10 acres
Hell 5 acres in the right spot!
This secret squirrel stuff gets old. Ive been burned by friends and friends of friends and even my own brother.
Only dawg and 1 fully tested/trusted friend knows the plan anymore but I cant get away from everybody and having a unique truck and quad doesnt help.

Ive come back to notes on both or a buddy tells me he saw my truck at x marks the spot....

Two seasons ago, my friend sent me this pic his buddy sent him...
That is my older brothers truck lol
I know exactly where he got that buck....
Unfortunately he hasnt quite mastered the whole drive home thing and he pulled right out in front of this guy who snapped a pic before he passed him and sent it to my friend telling him lookit this buck, the guy just hit the highway off of "such and such" road.

Doesnt give them the x but gives them a starting point.
My friend told his buddy, yeah we'll have to check that area out some time.
He hunts big bucks and I trust him so we talk spots.

Thats not technically a burn but...is kind of blowing it.
Im all for show off your rack once youre down the highway a bit, but for the trip out of camp....secret squirrel mode please.
Unless you want a spot burned in two seasons.
All it takes is one guy with buddies in his truck and a network of hunting buddies....

I do the same thing, always looking for new mature buck spots, but I keep it close and only talk about specifics with the few hunters I completely trust.

·
Registered
589 Posts
yeah we can run cameras and such. we stopped last season because we would get photos of decent sized bucks, all at night, and then come rifle season (the only time we hunt our property), they were ghosts. We have scrapes in almost the same locations for YEARS. Where i hunt there is also scrapes and rubs like crazy, but they have yet to show their faces. Problem is less hunters around our area over the years, which means less pressure to make them move. we have crops planted, but so do our neighbors to the north and south of us, and then the west of us has an 80+ acre field on the other side of a swamp

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Nice.

Guess thats the cool thing about having unlimited access to thousands upon thousands of acres.
There are areas that dont need to be cammed anymore and always new ones being scouted out every year.
I am never boxed in and as far as competition its mostly road hunters.

Now muley country, theres the same amount of blm public land but...private land and alfalfa fields draw em in and hold em.

·
Registered
589 Posts
my cousin does a little farming on our land to keep the taxes down and help pay for them as well for our grandma. it's been enough to keep them around and cause crop damage, but if he wasn't farming it, we could have started transforming it into more of a bedding type property for them, which would in turn keep them on our property more because they would be leaving in the mornings to go to the agg fields to eat, and coming back after eating, or come back to hide, and we would be able to get them those ways. It's what our grandfather used to do (3 fields of alfalfa) and then one field for bedding/water source. (property is split by cattle fencing into 4-10 acre sections).

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just making me wish I had some acres even more.

·
Registered
589 Posts
trust me.. i'm wanting some of my own as well lol. with granny's health always in limbo it's hard to say how much longer i have to hunt there

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Theyre not going to keep the land in the family?

Thatd be my luck too....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Its feeling like bowseason here.
Big fire up in lassen, the smoke has dropped the temps and theres a bit of a haze in the sky.

Sometimes/usually fires rage during season and the smoke is literally like fog all day and night.

Keeps em movin. I love it.
Plus the burned areas from the fires are another thing I focus on 2nd only to springs.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Shoulder is not healing fast enough from last summers crash and I got old and not working out like I used to so Im having issues with my 70lb bows.

Looking at grabbing a 50-60 pound draw bow just to help build my strength up in my left shoulder without (hopefully) destroying whats left of it.

Im seriously considering something other than hoyt for some reason, just to try something new, I guess.

I was feeling this way last year and picked up a G5 rogue...
Shoots just like a hoyt, I love it but its 70lb too.

I am totally matthews/bowtech illiterate, what do you think about the prodigy?
Anybody know about it or can point me towards the good models Id appreciate any input.
Dont want to go over $500. Dont have to have the latest greatest.

Used to speed bows, love spiral cams if you know hoyt.
Hate fuels, love rocket and Z5 cams.

Anyways, this is up for $450 but sold pending funds. Looked interesting.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I also go for the short ata bows.
Much easier to thread thru the brush when chasing.
My alphaburner is a little long for me at 34" but because it shoots like a 3 1/2" 12 ga goose load or a .300 ultramag, I will allow it.
Love the burner.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Less then two hundred and you could put 60lb lims on yours.?.?.
no experience with the bow techs sorry
And yeah the shoulder thing sucks been shooting 63lb for a while now. Getting old sucks !!!!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yeahhh im not that in love with my bows.
Back when I had access to a shop Id have already swapped limbs.
Nothing wrong with the shop we have now, just, id have to leave it.
Not that I dont trust them. They do good work. Its just not worth the hassle of finding limbs and doing it.

For $200 bucks I just picked up a low poundage vipertec.
Had one years ago it was my long distance tack driver.
Never should have sold that one.

Anything under $600 in the mathews I might keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
If you could get a good deal on a verdix Or VXR both great bows, stupid quit and speeds not bad either. Both are shooters for sure

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Ive seen the verdix mentioned several times in comparison to the helix.

I'll check them out thanks.
Got my eye on a carbon spyder zt, waiting for the guy to confirm if its the 30 or 34, only want the 30.
Not gonna beg him to take my money.
I have to wonder whats up with these guys and their total lack of communication sometimes....

The prodigy is pending funds,,,, buyer says he'll gladly pay by tues 8am.
Wtf
Seller has way more patience than I do with this kind of stuff.
He already had one guy do the same thing to him and oh, yeah he changed his mind.
Watever
Thats like the guys on cl that tell me theyll take it,
When I ask when and where I dont hear from them for three days.
Srry bud, waited 1 full day, moved on down the list and the next guy grabbed it up.

I'll never understand guys that commit and then either dont have the funds or dont follow thru.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Found another use for the sc1....

Got some downtime so Im cleanin up the ol cave (house)

Normally just clean the antlers with a brush/water but I thought...wth.

Yeah,
Thats how I remember him.
Only bigger.
Always amazed me how much antlers shrink.
This is this morning after letting the sc1 sit overnight and wiped it off with the microfiber/dry brush.

Brought a nice shine back to his nose and eye area too.

Think I'll do the fish repro next.
Should work really well on the antelope horns Im hoping.
Those are always hard to clean up.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts