Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys is there anyone around the fairbanks area who can replace a rear output shaft on outlander 1000xt. Dealer is quoting over 2k to replace in labor alone. Seems excessive but does it seem reasonable to you? Thanks

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It sounds purposely inflated .
It does however require removal & splitting of the gearbox .
Not sure what your labor rates are there but here they're +/- a hundo an hour.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I edited my post about the splitting the gearbox as I'm not positive of that but ...Holy cattails.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,239 Posts
Sumbish.... you can get a whole new gearbox for under $1400 :

Can you pull it yourself? Then all you'd have to do is pay them for the actual labor of splitting it open and replacing reshimming whatever internals.

I mean, there's nothing too specialized about removing/replacing the gearbox. Real labor intensive, but nothing impossible.

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have never been that far into the engine and I would be doing it in the yard. Does the engine/gearbox come out in 1 piece thru the front of machine? Any special tools needed to get it to the bench for splitting?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You should do a little searching and see if your bike uses a "through-shaft" as the G1'S do .
I've read that those can be replaced with the mill still in the frame.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks. Looks like I'll probably have a go at it. Does the motor and gearbox come out thru belt side of bike?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Not sure .
Start a new thread with a pic and see if one of the boys here can ID it and answer your question.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Unbolt rear driveshaft from engine.
Unbolt rear end from frame.
Pull rear with driveshaft back as a unit 4" or so.
Remove front driveshaft.
Remove throttle body
Remove all exhaust
Unbolt engine/trans mounts.
Move engine/trans forward then turn unit sideways so trans comes out left side.
You'll have enough room to get trans off and out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome thanks. Not sure on the clutch it was put in a few years ago and I dont remember what it was.. I'll have to check after I get cover off

1 - 20 of 120 Posts