Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 570 outlander. 2018 570 outlander.
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get the wife a winch, any to stay away from? Super ATVs are $300+ vs Warns at $800/900+. I have to believe there is a difference but I'll put it this way, she has never had one and we have never needed her to have one but we came close last weekend so it's time (I have a winch on my rig). I will swap out the cable or buy synth once a brand is settled on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
After you select the winches that your interested in I would suggest you compare the winch spec's, look for them to say it is a sealed winch (believe me they will tell you it is sealed) as it is a strong selling point. Also look to see if they have a brake system on them (there are some winches that do not have brakes). And the last thing that I look for is that is has a 2 or 3 stage planetary gear system with metal gears ensuring that the outer ring is not made from a composite material. The 3 stage would be my preference.

I do like the rope better than the cable.

If you research winches here, you will see that are some people here that swear by one winch or another, but you will also find people who had problems with those same winches. Whatever you get, take care of it like you take care of you ATV (clean it/inspect/grease periodically) and most of them will last you a good while.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If it were me I'd stay away from Warn. I know that sounds crazy, but they are so overpriced for what you get and I've had more issues with their winches than any other brand. Super ATV makes excellent products and their Customer Service and product support is 5 stars. Plus their winches are cheaper than Warn's.

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
Do they carry a duty cycle rating?
When I checked some individual winch specs they did not list a "Duty Cycle Rating (DCR)" but I did see a couple articles that explained DCR and gave the generic DCR for ATV winches as 5%. (45 sec at max rated load, 14min,15sec Rest).

Electric winchs need a rest occasionally from their work. This “rest” allows the electric winch cool down and build up an electrical reserve in the battery from the engine’s alternator.

45 sec's don't seem like much time and then needing to let it rest for nearly 15 min's, seems like you might as well set up camp and have lunch before you get the stuck atv out.

I've always ran a winch less than 1 min and then would let it rest a couple min's before using it again or simply pull it out with the winch locked. (I know that's not the best idea) maybe now I will have to reevaluate my SOP when using a winch.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
832 Posts
That sequence is what I recall Cheif. The length of run time could be important based on your anticipated use. - thanks for articulating that in such detail!

I would stay away from any unknown brand. I believe Warn is still riding the coat tails of its former days with their lower end product line. Their top shelf is great but pricey. The Superwinch Talon series is trust worthy. I run one of these on my truck and it's never let me down.

I'm sure the Super ATV models have been put through the test time and time again. I trust you would have Super ATV support after the sale if need be. All that plus they offer a discount to members..... They deserve a good look. IMHO

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
[QUOTE="CMB, post: 1266110, member: 124032"

I would stay away from any unknown brand. I believe Warn is still riding the coat tails of its former days with their lower end product line. Their top shelf is great but pricey. The Superwinch Talon series is trust worthy. I run one of these on my truck and it's never let me down.

I'm sure the Super ATV models have been put through the test time and time again. I trust you would have Super ATV support after the sale if need be. All that plus they offer a discount to members..... They deserve a good look. IMHO
[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you that the Warn brand is riding on it's old reputation, but they are still pretty good. I have gone both ways, buying off brand winchs and brand name (Warn) and for the most part I have not been too disappointed. And I know that a lot of people here really like the SuperWinch and it is a model I would consider also. Like I said earlier doing preventive mainenance (i.e cleaning and greasing) is the key to these winchs lasting.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tozguy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts