Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about swapping my stock rear differential/prop shaft for the kit found on Canam parts guy's website.
Those who have done it, how much trimming has to be done to make it fit? I heard it's just not a slide it in place and bolt it up simple upgrade? Any input from those who have done it would be appreciated.

thanks.

Automotive tire Font Tire Screenshot Vehicle

Reactions: xsever

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,698 Posts
I thought the 1000's got the better diff from OE.....

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the 1000's got the better diff from OE.....
I would be going from a '14 1000XT diff to a 850/1000 XMR diff.........as I have a '14 Outlander Max 1000 XT

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,698 Posts
Holy smokes they sent that bike out with the same diff as the 500 :oops::oops:

Same diff as my XMR 650 had.

For your application, that kit will be a 100% straight bolt-in, no trimming no nothing. That's what I upgraded my XMR diff to, that 1000XMR one. It went right in no problems.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if things are different back there on my '14 1000 vs your XMR 650?

I just heard back from Jared, this is what he said:
The area with the most issues is the bracket that surrounds the pinion area of the differential. This requires a large section to be removed, or the complete bracket to be removed. Removing the bracket isn't a big deal as the newer models no longer have it. The rest is minor work with an angle grinder to remove some material.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,698 Posts
Mine was a '15, shoulda been identical to your '14

What bracket is he referring to I wonder?

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,698 Posts
Dang that Jared speaks canam-ese more fluently than I do :

Font Line Parallel Auto part Line art

Font Line Automotive exterior Parallel Rectangle

Your bike does have some chincy little brackets mine didn't. I had no idea they were ever there

• Haha

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, I was going to look it up when I got home. Looks like part 18 is the one I would do away with.....I don't think 23 is related to the diff.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Heard back from Jared. He said:

Looking at the parts diagram it looks like you already have the correct bracket for the xmr rear differential. It would be #20 that can be different.

#18 is the one that can be deleted.
#23 is found on renegade models, this installs where your hitch is, the diagram is misleading.
So, I ordered it. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it installed. It was a tight fit but it fell right into place. :)

Now, does anyone know if the XMR axles from 15-18 will work? I'm thinking they will, seeing Jared told me my OEM XT axles will work just fine with the upgraded XMR diff. I think the XMR axles just are a bit beefier than the non-XMR ones, but both sets can be interchanged with each other. Can anyone confirm?

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Hey JRHAWK9 guy, yeah, I did this swap in my 2014 Outlander MAX awhile back. Like you wrote, the diff slipped right in. I used my stock axles for over a year until a CV joint fell apart. I then bought some SuperATV Rear axles & they've been great so far.
Yes, I think the XMR axles must be a bit beefier since the last time I checked, they had a different part number than the stock Outlander.

Here's the video I put together of doing this along with some other stuff ...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey JRHAWK9 guy, yeah, I did this swap in my 2014 Outlander MAX awhile back. Like you wrote, the diff slipped right in. I used my stock axles for over a year until a CV joint fell apart. I then bought some SuperATV Rear axles & they've been great so far.
Yes, I think the XMR axles must be a bit beefier since the last time I checked, they had a different part number than the stock Outlander.

Here's the video I put together of doing this along with some other stuff ...

Thanks for sharing! I just purchased a rear diff brace after seeing yours. I use mine in winter to haul firewood all winter, so it won't hurt to beef up the rear driveline.

Reactions: GunnyE9

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@GunnyE9 , how many miles do you have on your Outty Max? I have a little over 10,000 and now that I am doing all of this I sure hope the motor doesn't blow up 1,000 miles later.

I just don't have trust in aftermarket Chinese made stuff. It just seems the QC is not there (compared to the OEM Chinese made stuff) and the products are hit and miss. I'm assuming the Rhino SuperATV axles are Chinese made.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I have a little over 7,000 miles on mine now. And it's still going strong!! WOO HOO!!

If I'm not mistaken, the SuperATV axles are made in the states. You would have to check out their web page to confirm that ... I would, but I'm just walking out the door for an engagement, so I apologize for not having the answer right at the moment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts