Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 outlander 650 xt, it seems my power steering isn't quite what I expected after riding a buddies yammy 700, even on hi it seems to lag my actions and doesn't have the assist I expected, since I added headed grips even worse...So I checked battery after overnight at 12.86 volts was ok,checked charging at 14.2 steady ...Anyone else feel there power steering doesn't assist as much as you would think...Thanks for your input , its appreciated...

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,256 Posts
There has been multiple threads here about DPS, mostly about it quitting completely rather than insufficient assist when its working.
When mine is working the minimum assist level is plenty for me. Ocasionally I will inadvertently switch the assist level when using the reverse override if I am not careful.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has been multiple threads here about DPS, mostly about it quitting completely rather than insufficient assist when its working.
When mine is working the minimum assist level is plenty for me. Ocasionally I will inadvertently switch the assist level when using the reverse override if I am not careful.
Well mine is not nearly that good,very little difference between all 3 settings either but it does work,I could in no way say it was too much ever,and I do notice it less at higher speeds as it should be,perhaps my 7lb tire pressure is not helping,but when I got it the dealer had it set at 13lbs and it rode like crap. will try some things I guess and see what I get...Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,256 Posts
I have not noticed much difference either between the three levels of assist. That's why it is kept at minimum to reduce overheating. But the feeling is very clear when it quits completely.
7 psi would not be creating DPS problems. What kind of terrain do you ride?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not noticed much difference either between the three levels of assist. That's why it is kept at minimum to reduce overheating. But the feeling is very clear when it quits completely.
Mostly dry, clay, gravel and rock...Northern B.C. Does work better on my concrete shop floor as I would expect as it doesn't sink into ground at all...Mostly gives way more road feel when you steer it than you would think normal of good p/s...Like the old chev's of the 70s to todays if you know what I mean...lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well mine is not nearly that good,very little difference between all 3 settings either but it does work,I could in no way say it was too much ever,and I do notice it less at higher speeds as it should be,perhaps my 7lb tire pressure is not helping,but when I got it the dealer had it set at 13lbs and it road like crap,will try some things I guess and see what I get...Thanks for your input...
7lbs? That’s the cats meow. I run 4-5. I don’t think 7psi would I find you gotta give it a bit of throttle for it to work.. at idle the dps seems underpowered. And why would the heated grips make a change in dps operation?

maybe steering bushings are dry or not greased,
Lol. Lots of interesting findings that these new machines lack straight from factory..

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7lbs? That’s the cats meow. I run 4-5. I don’t think 7psi would I find you gotta give it a bit of throttle for it to work.. at idle the dps seems underpowered. And why would the heated grips make a change in dps operation?

maybe steering bushings are dry or not greased,
Lol. Lots of interesting findings that these new machines lack straight from factory..
The heated grips take a lot of power as all accessories do that are a heating element, this takes battery power that would be used for the electric steering motor and make it less efficient...Thanks for your input on tire pressure, then my 7 lbs will be good...

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 1000r XMR Neo Yellow/Black
1,249 Posts
If you google this you will find that in the past there has been complaints of the lack of power. I'm not 100% sure but I thought the 650 had a smaller stator output. I have only own 1000s and never had a charging problem. There is after market stators that put out more, maybe that's what you need.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
He has the 650 watt stator. I have always been a fan of yammis ps, it always felt very smooth with the right amount of assist but on high yours should feel as powerful. I would guess your steering bushings are dry.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He has the 650 watt stator. I have always been a fan of yammis ps, it always felt very smooth with the right amount of assist but on high yours should feel as powerful. I would guess your steering bushings are dry.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I will check and get some oil in the bushings,even though there is only 1500kms it could still be that, thanks...I did use a needle and filled all my tie-rods and ball joints with grease as my last bike got 9000 kms and no play in any of them...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you google this you will find that in the past there has been complaints of the lack of power. I'm not 100% sure but I thought the 650 had a smaller stator output. I have only own 1000s and never had a charging problem. There is after market stators that put out more, maybe that's what you need.
Mine has the updated stator,should be enough,running with steering used stays at 14.2 volts no prob...Batt volt at 12.8 sitting not running...Thanks though...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I always thought mine was lacking when i first got it especially at speed. Now that im used to the way it operates i have no complaints especially on slow technical trails i don't have to fight the steering to turn..

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I purchased my machine it did take some time figuring out the various “feels” of the settings.

For what it’s worth here are the settings I use on different terrains-

Low- salt flats / mud flats- heavier input on the bars for speed and drifting response.

Mid- loose terrain/scrapple- float with bar response.

High- snow- deep snow or plowing, looking for grip.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after some checking, I found that at 1500kms, the bushings are still fine, the O-rings however from no lube at factory are very dry and the cause of noise and drag, using some silicone lube as grease has a bloating agent and I don't want to swell the o-rings which would make the problem worse,I now am able to use MED on p/s and it works awesome and easy. I found also that you can access the lower bushing and could drill into the plastic bushing below the upper o-ring without all the disassembly and could put lube in that way and seal hole with just a dab of silicon ...Thanks for all your help and thoughts on this...

·
Registered
168 Posts
So after some checking, I found that at 1500kms, the bushings are still fine, the O-rings however from no lube at factory are very dry and the cause of noise and drag, using some silicone lube as grease has a bloating agent and I don't want to swell the o-rings which would make the problem worse,I now am able to use MED on p/s and it works awesome and easy. I found also that you can access the lower bushing and could drill into the plastic bushing below the upper o-ring without all the disassembly and could put lube in that way and seal hole with just a dab of silicon ...Thanks for all your help and thoughts on this...
Glad you found it, but I won’t last long. Do yourself a favour and instal grease zerks at the upper and lower bracket to be able to grease those bushings.

The upper is a chore but well worth it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts