Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Asking advice for new Outty....

3059 Views 38 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Duece
Ok all you ATV guru's, let's hear what you think.
I want a machine purely for hunting season and utility. Terrain: slow speed, tight turn trails (avg 10mph), lots of hills, rocks, mud-holes, skidder ruts, logs, etc. I need to occasionally haul logs and deer from off trail locations, so it needs to go anywhere I point it. Mostly the wintry weather of November but lots of work trips in the summer. I've done this for years with a Grizzly but after riding a used 570 for a year, I fell in love with the ergonomics of the Outty and I am passing the Grizz down to my son. Price doesn't matter as I'm trading in or selling a 2019 Defender HD10 XT cab model. Just too big for the trails.

1st thought would be a 2022 left over 650 camo model for the sweet spot engine, heated grips, skid plates, HD springs, and best ground clearance. I wish it had the front diff lock though. $12k locally.

Or the obvious choice, the 2023 850 hunting edition that will add LEDs, ITC and IEB. All could be handy features on those technical trails. My only concern is the added weight and a thirsty bigger motor. I doubt I really need the power. MSRP $13K

And the odd thought: a 650 Xmr for the motor, lots of ground clearance and the 4lok system. I would add heated grips, skids and a winch. Maybe handguards and a rear bumper but not necessary. Not sure how those tires will wear in the woods though geared for 28's make future choices optimal. I thought I could move the rad back down to gain the front rack space. Surely someone would trade me the needed front rack for the relocate kit. Is the diff lock really worth it? I'm nervous to be without it after 10yrs with the Grizzly system. And doesn't the Xmr come with HD springs as well? Locally $11.6K so more money after a winch, heated grips, and bash plates get installed.

Thoughts?
Reactions: Stonecutter099
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
I need to occasionally haul logs and deer from off trail locations,
2023 850 hunting edition
I doubt I really need the power.
You sure about that? ;)

I want a machine purely for hunting season and utility.
First thing that came to mind when I read that was
a 650 Xmr
No, but then again I remembered these little jewels :

s the diff lock really worth it? I'm nervous to be without it after 10yrs with the Grizzly system.
XMR with the diff lock might be the way to go 🤷‍♂️

it needs to go anywhere I point it.
XMR

lots of hills, rocks, mud-holes, skidder ruts, logs, etc.
XMR

· Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm not a hunter, but I gather lots of firewood at low speeds in the forest and in the labyrinth of logging roads here. I went for the 850 Max XT. My purposes didn't justify the cost of the XMR.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol...Yeah, that 850 really calls to me but I've gotten more mellow in my old age. Besides, I know it's all about torque where we go and I'll never get to use the extra ponies. Gotta guy that does everything with a 400 Foreman and only his tires & lack of ground clearance stops him from going everywhere. My Grizz has clutch work and 27" Pitbull's on all four corners. Only the deep mud stops it.
One vote for the Xmr!

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a hunter, but I gather lots of firewood at low speeds in the forest and in the labyrinth of logging roads here. I went for the 850 Max XT. My purposes didn't justify the cost of the XMR.
I really don't want to go to the Max. I'd really like it to keep it as short as possible. I've gotten high centered enough with what I have now.

· Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,302 Posts
I got the 1000 XMR because it has stronger components and higher ground clearance. The XMR is designed to take a beating. With what I do with it here in Alaska, I would have killed a lesser machine long ago.. lol. The xmr is like a tank. 1,600 pound tow rating too.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the 1000 XMR because it has stronger components and higher ground clearance. The XMR is designed to take a beating. With what I do with it here in Alaska, I would have killed a lesser machine long ago.. lol. The xmr is like a tank. 1,600 pound tow rating too.
Good call for Alaska but I just can't substantiate a 1000. I've never needed more power even 20 years ago running a Honda Rancher. Also, it's just too heavy and long for tight woods trails. I like having the ability to slide the rear end around on the trailer.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get a SxS. You need a dump bed. Putting a big deer of larger on the rear or front rack of an Outlander don't work well.
Definitely don't need that. Too big. A little Honda 500 Pioneer would work but so little in options/accessories just to get a steering wheel. We have had two SxS and two ATV in camp since 2008 and very rarely used the dump box. We have always been able to fit a deer on the back rack, and for the last 30 years, we've never shot anything bigger than 180 lbs out of our area anyway. We have the SxS to haul if needed but we really need the ATVs to get places the SxS cannot. Plus, we have off-road wagons we can tow as well. The Defender I am selling was my 89 year old father's. He needed the ease of driving and the heater. He hunted from the driver's seat (legally).

· Registered
2021 Outlander Max XT 850
13 Posts
I have limited experience here, but I can offer my thoughts owning a few atvs.

First off, owned yamaha, polaris and now can am. There is no comparison. The can am is like in a whole different world! I had a single seat outlander 850 to demo and then the Max to demo. To me, the max is better at everything, including being more stable, better ride, more room to bring stuff in and out etc. the rear seat come right off and gives more room and less weight also.

The 850 was too much power at first, now second year in ownership I’d really like more power! I’m sure the 650 will be ok for you by what you’re saying, but with the power modes and high and low gears, why not go 850?

I do everything with my quad from snowplowing, dirt working, towing, hauling, tight slow trail riding, fast dirt road riding etc. It’s an all around machine. Now not once have I ever said to myself I need less power lol! Not once! I will go 1000 for the next one.

· Admin
2,302 Posts
Not for any convincing, just to point out differences for knowledge benefits. Differences between 650, 850 and 1000.
Turning radius of the non-MAX is tighter than the MAX but lot that much. I would say in a full circle maybe 24 inches.
Torque. the 1000 has a bit more bottom end torque than the 850. For power and speed both are close.
The 1000 has a SxS transmission that is built much stronger than the 850 or 650 transmission.
The 1000 has heavier differentials than the 850 or 650.
The XMR version of all 3 have a lower gear ratio.
I have a 2020 XMR 1000r MAX, a 2012 650 XT MAX, and a 2021 650 XT short.
Compared to the 1000 MAX, the 650 XT MAX is lighter and has a softer ride but has half the power for pulling and for the non-MAX version it is not as stable as it can roll over backwards much easier going up a steep hill.
Yes all three are great machines and will do much, but for reliability of drivetrain components, the 1000 XMR stands by itself as it is built like a tank and will continuously take a pounding and keep going.

The portable bandsaw on the back of my 1000 XMR MAX weighs as much as a small car. I have run at 55 to 60 mph on dirt roads pulling the bandsaw and is stable.
I would not use the 650 or 850 to pull the bandsaw because I would not want to replace drivetrain components and belts.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Snow Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Plant

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
Not for any convincing, just to point out differences for knowledge benefits. Differences between 650, 850 and 1000.
Turning radius of the non-MAX is tighter than the MAX but lot that much. I would say in a full circle maybe 24 inches.
Torque. the 1000 has a bit more bottom end torque than the 850. For power and speed both are close.
The 1000 has a SxS transmission that is built much stronger than the 850 or 650 transmission.
Compared to the 1000 MAX, the 650 XT MAX is lighter and has a softer ride but has half the power for pulling and for the non-MAX version it is not as stable as it can roll over backwards much easier going up a steep hill.
Yes all three are great machines and will do much, but for reliability of drivetrain components, the 1000 XMR stands by itself as it is built like a tank and will continuously take a pounding and keep going.

The portable bandsaw on the back of my 1000 XMR MAX weighs as much as a small car. I have run at 55 to 60 mph on dirt roads pulling the bandsaw and is stable.
I would not use the 650 or 850 to pull the bandsaw because I would not want to replace drivetrain components and belts.

View attachment 110095

View attachment 110096
The 650, 850, 1000 do use the same front and rear diff since 2020. They switched to the two pinion bearing style diff. Lots beefier than the years they used the same diff all the way from the 450 to the 1000.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2021 Outlander 1000r XMR Neo Yellow/Black
1,287 Posts
Ok all you ATV guru's, let's hear what you think.
I want a machine purely for hunting season and utility. Terrain: slow speed, tight turn trails (avg 10mph), lots of hills, rocks, mud-holes, skidder ruts, logs, etc. I need to occasionally haul logs and deer from off trail locations, so it needs to go anywhere I point it. Mostly the wintry weather of November but lots of work trips in the summer. I've done this for years with a Grizzly but after riding a used 570 for a year, I fell in love with the ergonomics of the Outty and I am passing the Grizz down to my son. Price doesn't matter as I'm trading in or selling a 2019 Defender HD10 XT cab model. Just too big for the trails.

1st thought would be a 2022 left over 650 camo model for the sweet spot engine, heated grips, skid plates, HD springs, and best ground clearance. I wish it had the front diff lock though. $12k locally.

Or the obvious choice, the 2023 850 hunting edition that will add LEDs, ITC and IEB. All could be handy features on those technical trails. My only concern is the added weight and a thirsty bigger motor. I doubt I really need the power. MSRP $13K

And the odd thought: a 650 Xmr for the motor, lots of ground clearance and the 4lok system. I would add heated grips, skids and a winch. Maybe handguards and a rear bumper but not necessary. Not sure how those tires will wear in the woods though geared for 28's make future choices optimal. I thought I could move the rad back down to gain the front rack space. Surely someone would trade me the needed front rack for the relocate kit. Is the diff lock really worth it? I'm nervous to be without it after 10yrs with the Grizzly system. And doesn't the Xmr come with HD springs as well? Locally $11.6K so more money after a winch, heated grips, and bash plates get installed.

Thoughts?
Here is your answer plain and simple XMR I love my 2021 1000r
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

· Admin
2,302 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
I am not sure about the other models you've listed, but this last fall I hunted with my 2022 650 Outlander and it did well. Quiet enough and was able to drag a gutted, but whole bull moose 4-5 kms to my truck without sweating. I do wish it had better clearance though. Did bottom out a bunch while running it down a pipeline through a frozen muskeg. I felt it when it bottomed out on moss hummocks. I think an extra 1.5-2" clearance would have been dandy.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Registered
2021 Outlander Max XT 850
13 Posts

View attachment 110095

View attachment 110096
What windshield is on that black xmr towing that mill?

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do everything with my quad from snowplowing, dirt working, towing, hauling, tight slow trail riding, fast dirt road riding etc. It’s an all-around machine. Now not once have I ever said to myself I need less power lol! Not once! I will go 1000 for the next one.
I do agree I would never complain about the power either but since 2008, I've never asked for more power than what the 700 Grizz gave me, so stepping up 20hp should be plenty. The 850 Hunting edition is still a contender for all the included upgrades the 2023s offer, but the power is not the reason. That damn 650 is just a sweet spot in the line-up; great relative TQ and power, a long track record for dependability, with an acceptable weight/MPG. Honestly, I think Can-Am would have been better off dropping the 850 and keeping the 650. And with the XMR adding better gearing for taller tires plus the 4-lok, I'm leaning that way. Everything else missing can be added rather easily like winch, heated grips, etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts