Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Asking advice for new Outty....

3323 Views 39 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Freewill
Ok all you ATV guru's, let's hear what you think.
I want a machine purely for hunting season and utility. Terrain: slow speed, tight turn trails (avg 10mph), lots of hills, rocks, mud-holes, skidder ruts, logs, etc. I need to occasionally haul logs and deer from off trail locations, so it needs to go anywhere I point it. Mostly the wintry weather of November but lots of work trips in the summer. I've done this for years with a Grizzly but after riding a used 570 for a year, I fell in love with the ergonomics of the Outty and I am passing the Grizz down to my son. Price doesn't matter as I'm trading in or selling a 2019 Defender HD10 XT cab model. Just too big for the trails.

1st thought would be a 2022 left over 650 camo model for the sweet spot engine, heated grips, skid plates, HD springs, and best ground clearance. I wish it had the front diff lock though. $12k locally.

Or the obvious choice, the 2023 850 hunting edition that will add LEDs, ITC and IEB. All could be handy features on those technical trails. My only concern is the added weight and a thirsty bigger motor. I doubt I really need the power. MSRP $13K

And the odd thought: a 650 Xmr for the motor, lots of ground clearance and the 4lok system. I would add heated grips, skids and a winch. Maybe handguards and a rear bumper but not necessary. Not sure how those tires will wear in the woods though geared for 28's make future choices optimal. I thought I could move the rad back down to gain the front rack space. Surely someone would trade me the needed front rack for the relocate kit. Is the diff lock really worth it? I'm nervous to be without it after 10yrs with the Grizzly system. And doesn't the Xmr come with HD springs as well? Locally $11.6K so more money after a winch, heated grips, and bash plates get installed.

Thoughts?
See less
Reactions: Stonecutter099
I want a machine purely for hunting season and utility. Terrain: slow speed, tight turn trails (avg 10mph), lots of hills, rocks, mud-holes, skidder ruts, logs, etc. I need to occasionally haul logs and deer from off trail locations, so it needs to go anywhere I point it. Mostly the wintry weather of November but lots of work trips in the summer. I've done this for years with a Grizzly but after riding a used 570 for a year, I fell in love...
See more
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am not sure about the other models you've listed, but this last fall I hunted with my 2022 650 Outlander and it did well. Quiet enough and was able to drag a gutted, but whole bull moose 4-5 kms to my truck without sweating. I do wish it had better clearance though. Did bottom out a bunch while running it down a pipeline through a frozen muskeg. I felt it when it bottomed out on moss hummocks. I think an extra 1.5-2" clearance would have been dandy.

View attachment 110112
That sounds perfect! We have moose but no hunting of them....yet. Yanking a 170lb Whitetail should be easy enough. That extra clearance is important to me as well. Damn rocks and stumps everywhere and sometimes hidden under the snow. One big reason I like the hunting edition is that it has the highest clearance of all the models (12") and that's with 26" tires! The Xmr is close at 11.75" but they run 28s so I thought it would be much higher. Xmr total height and seat height are higher so it's gotta be the HD springs that do it.

· Registered
6 Posts
I want a machine purely for hunting season and utility. Terrain: slow speed, tight turn trails (avg 10mph), lots of hills, rocks, mud-holes, skidder ruts, logs, etc. I need to occasionally haul logs and deer from off trail locations, so it needs to go anywhere I point it. Mostly the wintry weather of November but lots of work trips in the summer. I've done this for years with a Grizzly but after riding a used 570 for a year, I fell in love with the ergonomics of the Outty and I am passing the Grizz down to my son. Price doesn't matter as I'm trading in or selling a 2019 Defender HD10 XT cab model. Just too big for the trails.

1st thought would be a 2022 left over 650 camo model for the sweet spot engine, heated grips, skid plates, HD springs, and best ground clearance. I wish it had the front diff lock though. $12k locally.

Or the obvious choice, the 2023 850 hunting edition that will add LEDs, ITC and IEB. All could be handy features on those technical trails. My only concern is the added weight and a thirsty bigger motor. I doubt I really need the power. MSRP $13K

And the odd thought: a 650 Xmr for the motor, lots of ground clearance and the 4lok system. I would add heated grips, skids and a winch. Maybe handguards and a rear bumper but not necessary. Not sure how those tires will wear in the woods though geared for 28's make future choices optimal. I thought I could move the rad back down to gain the front rack space. Surely someone would trade me the needed front rack for the relocate kit. Is the diff lock really worth it? I'm nervous to be without it after 10yrs with the Grizzly system. And doesn't the Xmr come with HD springs as well? Locally $11.6K so more money after a winch, heated grips, and bash plates get installed.

Thoughts?
YES buy my xmr 850 like new just what you need 347 miles winch plow 2019 can-am? live in eastern,pa pocono's it will go over just about anything you want for the price you can't beat it.

· Registered
2022 Defender Max XMR, 2022 outlander 1000 XMR
8 Posts
Ok my 2 cent, I hunt in Florida mostly hogs. My stands are way off the the grades, in very wet environment, started out with Artic Cat 500 back in 2005 not a bad machine had to modify due to water intrusion, then canam came out with the Xmr 1000, i was hooked, first one I had had the old air adjustable suspension. Own another 2 since then, easy to get between pine rows, mud holes and reasonable amount of water not a big factor getting through, can haul the hogs on back, other times made sleds to drag them out behind the machine. Ground clearance good enough to clear most pine stumps, cypress knobs. Standard winch on front I used to raise and lower my 150 lb feeders, put up ladder stands and pull out my buddies when they sink their machines. I have nothing but good use with all of my XMR 1000. As I have gotten older I now have a defender max XMR that suits me these days for riding , but i still have a 1000 when I need to go where the hogs are… You take care of the machine it will take care of you

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
YES buy my xmr 850 like new just what you need 347 miles winch plow 2019 can-am? live in eastern,pa pocono's it will go over just about anything you want for the price you can't beat it.
Damn nice machine Rich. I don't know if I can bring that bright ass yellow into hunting camp though...lol And how loud is that exhaust? I definitely don't want loud exhaust.

I do like how you have it set up more for trail. What shock you went to?

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok my 2 cent, I hunt in Florida mostly hogs. I have nothing but good use with all of my XMR 1000. As I have gotten older I now have a defender max XMR that suits me these days for riding , but i still have a 1000 when I need to go where the hogs are… You take care of the machine it will take care of you
Thanks for the input! It sounds like the Xmr served you well even though it isn't "trail designed". I'm older now as well so that's why a 650 is "big enough"...lol The SxS is just too big for me.

I'm thinking the Xmr is my best choice for the gearing set-up and diff lock in addition to the bigger tires. Two things that are expensive to add later. I go slow enough not to care about the ride/handling and cornering. That set-up should allow me to go wherever the fu** I point it. And the more I think about it, I do like the idea of choosing my own winch (synthetic preferred) and installing HeatDemon grips which give me options for expansion to heated insoles. Plus PowerMadd handguards. The lack of skids, front storage and lack of rear bumper are the only things I'm missing that I'll need to decide if they are important enough to replace. Probably only the front/center/rear plates. A-arm plates trap too much crap. I've seen simple options for the front storage and the rear bumper is pricey but not too bad.

· Registered
2022 Defender Max XMR, 2022 outlander 1000 XMR
8 Posts
Thanks for the input! It sounds like the Xmr served you well even though it isn't "trail designed". I'm older now as well so that's why a 650 is "big enough"...lol The SxS is just too big for me.

I'm thinking the Xmr is my best choice for the gearing set-up and diff lock in addition to the bigger tires. Two things that are expensive to add later. I go slow enough not to care about the ride/handling and cornering. That set-up should allow me to go wherever the fu** I point it. And the more I think about it, I do like the idea of choosing my own winch (synthetic preferred) and installing HeatDemon grips which give me options for expansion to heated insoles. Plus PowerMadd handguards. The lack of skids, front storage and lack of rear bumper are the only things I'm missing that I'll need to decide if they are important enough to replace. Probably only the front/center/rear plates. A-arm plates trap too much crap. I've seen simple options for the front storage and the rear bumper is pricey but not too bad.
Sounds like you have done your homework, bad thing is the more you look, the more ideas you get, the more that price climbs, heck you only live once right…. added pic of the wife on our newest XMR 1000 and the defender, both at home in the water

Attachments

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sounds like you have done your homework, bad thing is the more you look, the more ideas you get, the more that price climbs, heck you only live once right.
That you do, that you do... I don't have as much water where I go but better to be more equipped than less....lol It's usually 20-40 degrees so sometimes the water holes freeze over and sometimes you break through. Ride a trail yesterday and it's fine, tomorrow there is tree across, and you need to climb over it or go around. Which is why I don't want a max; that extra length could be what hangs me up.

A good winch (mounted high and preferably swappable front to rear), aggressive tires, ground clearance, low-end TQ and a locking front diff are needs. Comfort, ergonomics, heated grips, storage, dependability, gas mileage are wants.

· Banned
1 Posts
My stands are well off the slope and in a really damp location. I began using an Artic Cat 500 in 2005, which was a good machine but required modifications due to water infiltration. When Canam released the Xmr 1000, I was hooked. My first one had the old air adjustable suspension. Since then, I've owned two more. They are simple to maneuver between rows of pine trees, don't provide a significant obstruction to passage, and can move pigs on the back or occasionally pull them behind the machine using custom-made sleds.

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,242 Posts
My stands are well off the slope and in a really damp location. I began using an Artic Cat 500 in 2005, which was a good machine but required modifications due to water infiltration. When Canam released the Xmr 1000, I was hooked. My first one had the old air adjustable suspension. Since then, I've owned two more. They are simple to maneuver between rows of pine trees, don't provide a significant obstruction to passage, and can move pigs on the back or occasionally pull them behind the machine using custom-made sleds.
Kick rocks, clown

spambot banned

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,242 Posts
Usually, they'll join a forum and attempt to hang around long enough, to fool a fellow forum member into trusting them that they're legit just because they have some activity and longevity. Classifieds are where they typically try to scam someone out of money. I've been on the ole inter web since its inception, back in the days of MIRC chat rooms and who remembers netscape? So I like to think I'm pretty savvy as to what's right and what's not ;)

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The biggest reason is everyone wants to get something for free and that's how they work feeding off that. Throw enough lines in the water, you're eventually going to catch a fish that wants that bait.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
who remembers netscape?
Ahahaha... Yup. Netscape Navigator, and and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications. Glory days.

Wow...I'm dating myself (sorry...you too!).

Thanks for explaining spambots. Don't think I'd even respond to one. Must be some gullible prey out there. Sad, really.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

· Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,305 Posts
Netscape and Napster. Those were the days. Then back farther when you had to dial up a computer, listen for the tones, then put the handset in the cradle for internet.

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,116 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
......And then there were AOL discs everywhere. They say that there were more AOL discs manufactured than any other disc made. At one point over 50% of all discs manufactured worldwide were AOL discs. The crazy part is that they are now collector items and sold on Ebay.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts