Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My old home state of Minnesota Star Tribune completed a very good review of ATV safety. Minnesota is home to Polaris and Arctic Cat and knows a thing or two about ATVs. The last of five installments was riding ATVs on hard surface roads. This is a 2014 article and maybe somewhat dated.

I found it interesting and balanced. I'm a "street legal" ATV advocate, but I understand both sides of the debate. I believe that safety can be improved on hard surface roads with "street tires" that have stronger sidewalls, less aggressive tread patterns, and allow a bit more pressure. My ITP terra cross ATV tires recommend 7 psi. I think normal trail tires are 5 psi or so. I see plenty of off highway Jeeps around Colorado with these big off highway tires with aggressive treads, but they have a "square profile" and strong sidewalls. They are very different than the hemorrhoid donut pillow shaped tires normally found on trail ATVs. I fully understand even "all season passenger car" tires are not going to make a huge difference in the inherent instability of the short wheelbase, high ground clearance, high CG design of the ATV. I do think a "hard surface" tire with stronger sidewalls would reduce the tendency to keel under and cause a rollover. This was certainly the case with sports cars with high lateral G force cornering abilities. I've never seen a sports car with trail ATV tires on it.

I thought at least two of your folks would find this an interesting read:

http://www.startribune.com/part-five-dangerous-terrain-atvs-and-open-roads-in-minnesota/283218571/

I'm wanting more riding opportunities that plowing snow and waiting for an organized trail ride somewhere. I want to ride the neighborhood tomorrow.

David

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bunch of bull, I like how they state that ATV's don't meet crash standards like cars do ya well neither does a motorcycle or them 3 wheel motorcycle deals. Then they go into accidents involving kids riding adult machines and on pavement well most places that have street legal laws don't allow kids to ride on pavement heck in Utah you need a drivers license so is it the ATV's fault or the parents that let it happen and let there kids ride bigger quads then they should be on?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You are right muddydogs. The vast majority of ATV injury and deaths are caused by recklessness and carelessness. Minnesota press was never a proponent of ATVs. The articles are slanted against ATVs. But interesting to me, more counties are allowing ATVs on public roads anyways. And I was encouraged by some comments that counties that do allow street legal ATVs are finding it not a big deal. The first born of families were not killed or maimed by an ATV.

Side by sides do have a roll cage around the operator and passengers and do have seat belts. But they can not compete with a car in a crash, no way. Side by side UTVs have a bit more protection than a bicycle, scooter, dirt bike, motorcycle, three wheel motorcycle, electric golf cart, or ATV. Everything on this list is street legal except the UTVs and ATVs in my state.

In your great state of Utah, ATVs are commonplace on public roads. It is not a big issue.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts