Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outlander 800, 2021 Outlander 850 XMR (May 2021 on order)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever been out riding by yourself and find a mud hole that you'd like to play in but you're by yourself and there is nothing to winch to incase you get stuck.

As I am the only one in my family that likes to play in the mud, I am often by myself, and in Alberta where I ride there are a lot of utility cut line trails through the swamp and nothing to attach a winch to incase.

I looked online to buy such a thing, but i wasn't going to spend $500 + for an anchor. I searched this site and found nothing on this, so here you go. For all you garage hackers out there, this is what I came up with. Just junk laying around the shop. It should be small enough to take apart and throw in the cargo box.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
That's marketable, right there. Throw a patent on it, lol

Nicely done

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
308 Posts
Great idea and design. I had occurred to me that something like that would be useful but my shopping did not turn up anything. Will you be testing it out, close to home :), to see how it works?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea and design. I had occurred to me that something like that would be useful but my shopping did not turn up anything. Will you be testing it out, close to home :), to see how it works?
thanks, First I have to see if this 2021 850XMR with Visco lock will get stuck, when I try I will make sure I have a back up plan. watch for pictures and video.

·
Registered
72 Posts
thanks, First I have to see if this 2021 850XMR with Visco lock will get stuck, when I try I will make sure I have a back up plan. watch for pictures and video.
First thing: all things can and will get stuck; especially Polaris things!

Second thing: garage engineer is the best engineer! Looks awesome, but you might want a larger spade. Lots of high voltage transmission lines around where I live that cross swamps and bogs. I can definitely see the utility in this!

I carry a chainsaw with me for this so I can ram an 8 foot log or whatever in many feet of soft earth as an anchor, or to cut a pad if necessary. Folks around me call me crazy with all the stuff I got my rig, but I want for no help no matter the situation!

excellent idea; love shit like this!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I do the same have a chainsaw so I can cut a anchor if needed. I have strapped up to trees as small as 1 inch and pulled myself out of the swamp buried bars deep...

Winch anchors are in all price ranges starting at about $20 and up...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
873 Posts
I have seen similar anchors. Nice piece of work. Can come in real handy when nothing to anchor to.
I carry a Stihl 170 chainsaw, 150 feet of tow straps and kinetic straps, and a 3 ft cable cinch for anchoring to 1 inch saplings.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Very nice! Do you carry a shovel? I was thinking if you cut the eye off the one end and made it so you could pin the spade you would also have a make shift shovel. Would have to rework that end tho, maybe not worth it.
Just a thought!

·
Registered
2014 Outlander max xt 650
93 Posts
Results of a garage engineer tackling a specific problem. That's an excellent concept and product/result. Love to see riders on the forum posting this type of stuff. Like others have said try it with a friend good luck and don't be afraid to mud that quad 😁. Send pictures or video of the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First thing: all things can and will get stuck; especially Polaris things!
View attachment 103307

Second thing: garage engineer is the best engineer! Looks awesome, but you might want a larger spade. Lots of high voltage transmission lines around where I live that cross swamps and bogs. I can definitely see the utility in this!

I carry a chainsaw with me for this so I can ram an 8 foot log or whatever in many feet of soft earth as an anchor, or to cut a pad if necessary. Folks around me call me crazy with all the stuff I got my rig, but I want for no help no matter the situation!

excellent idea; love shit like this!
I was thinking that as well. Worst case just weld a couple of wings to it. Also live update..... it's a little too long to fit in the storage box, so I'm going to cut it and add a coupler in the middle.
Results of a garage engineer tackling a specific problem. That's an excellent concept and product/result. Love to see riders on the forum posting this type of stuff. Like others have said try it with a friend good luck and don't be afraid to mud that quad 😁. Send pictures or video of the results.
Thats right. This is the proto type and with trial and error as well as suggestions, we could be onto something. I am sure there are a few if us "hackers" on this site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That looks great.

I've used a Fluke Anchor to get me out of situations where there are no other places to hook up. So far that has worked every time for me. They are not very expensive too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts