Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached to the rear frame member (top, behind the taillights) one in the top left corner, and another in the top right corner.
Very hard to see. I was replacing the rear plastic when I noticed them.
Each is screw-mounted to the frame (electrical ground), with one red wire into the harness.
What kinda doo-dad plugs into these things ? Nothing in my junk box fits such a connector.
Our truck-driver-neighbor guesses "Dual Mud Flap Blinker Lights".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005 JohnDeereTrailBuck500/TraxterXL
Looks like a mini Porcelain-Resistor, used on old cars to drop 12v down to 6v spark coil.

XRight.JPG XLeft.JPG

Click=Full size

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You got that right resistor like an old chevy coil resistor. Possible 6v brake light bulb ?? Don't have any experience with that model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the tail/stop are original factory wired. These resistors were factory installed, the star screws had never been loosened, and the paint is un-touched.
However, you may be correct. I remember seeing a big trunk box / rear seat rest thing with lights.
Picture an ATC that looks like a Harley Road Hog ! All we need is a chrome fish tail exhaust. :D
I'll know more when the wiring is completed.
History: The main harness had filled with wet mud, frozen solid, with broken insulation in many places.
Measurable resistance found from wire-to-wire, and wire-to-ground. The area around the speedo is the worst.
I have removed most all the plastic tube covering the harness. Not the harness tape. Just the mud filled 'tube'.
Now, each break must be cut & soldered & shrink-wrapped... This is a hobby ? I should go fishin'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake-light blinkers
Bulbs are 12volt 2pins single filament.
Tail light wire leads thru the resistor to the bulb, which glows 'kinda' bright.
Brake light switch wire lead directly to the bulb, which glows 'real' bright.
Yes, both the tail & brake wires come together at the bulb.

In the late 1930s, Joseph Bell designed the light that flashed.
...then he went fishin'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DONE with the wiring...
Did not have to re-wire any circuits except the tail lights & new blinking-STOP light.
Did replace several plastic connectors-from-hell with soldered connections.
Did shorten & re-route all the wiring around the engine.
Removed one trash can of assorted plastic things, two resistor things, and a large bundle of multi-color wires.
Drowned-in-mud speedo toothbrush cleaned. Lights all work. But, MPH motor corroded solid.
Whatever was causing the grounding problems, is gone.
Thanks !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts