Can-Am ATV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Update:

I installed a new CVTech primary clutch. Now I can clearly see that there is a problem with the secondary clutch.

The belt slips. I ordered a New bearing and a spring. The rest seems in very good condition.

Symptom: When running gears not shiffting

your opinions??

thank you
I'd like to see some pictures of the helix and of the surface that the helix slides on...these surfaces wear and get rough. If the helix is worn, replace it. Then carefully file the ramp surfaces on the secondary smooth, then polish with emery cloth. If the spring is worn, collapsed, or broken the symptom is the opposite of what you are having. If the main bushing is toast, the two halves of the secondary will bind.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I don't have a picture but I'm going to take some this weekend. Today I received the new bearing, the old one is clearly defective and a new spring.

I wanted to mention that the mileage is 14,000 kilometers and from what I see it had never been opened and serviced

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
That's rather impressive (y)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Update :

So I installed a new bearing and a spring. I cleaned everything up, the problem is still there. The belt slips at the secondary clutch. I raised the rear of the ATV and when it is not on the ground the belt does not slip and easily goes to 100 kilometers per hour. When I ride on the road I can barely reach 50 km / h and the belt slips.

I believe the problem is not far, probably the helix ??

The belt is new and the CVTech primary clutch too

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Leg Human body Jaw Bone Headgear

Automotive tire Tread Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system

Helmet Window Eye Plant Automotive tire
Automotive tire Plant Grass Tread Wood

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
What did you mean about sheaves binding? No, they change bearing on the press see picture

Tire Photograph Wheel Automotive tire Light

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Banned
6,161 Posts
The two halves fit together. They slide open/ closed. There is a bushing on one half that can wear causing the secondary to jamb or bind so it won't open all the way. This will cause low top speed and crap performance.

There are wear specs for that bushing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Exactly it sounds very logical. Can you tell me exactly which parts it is on the diagram?

thanks a lot

Font Engineering Parallel Urban design Auto part

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
#35 bushing, @Lambe, and potentially #30, but less likely it's contributing.

I wanna say another member just recently had to have those bushings made, they are hard to find nowadays, but iirc, it wasn't terribly difficult or expensive. Search for the thread

Reactions: xsever

·
Banned
6,161 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thank you for the link. Do you know if these easy to change or if it takes a special tool?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I see he sells a special tool to change them. my question is do these as compatible with the outlander model? I see in the description only fit on Defender and Maverick

·
Banned
6,161 Posts
Tap them out, press them in.
I see he sells a special tool to change them. my question is do these as compatible with the outlander model? I see in the description only fit on Defender and Maverick
I saw that too. Best email or call. I think the description is that way because they're primarily a sxs company.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Update

I ordered the sliding parts which come with 2 bushing directly from BRP. I installed it on ATV and always the same problem .....

I do not know in which direction to go now I need your help for the next step.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
If I'm recapping this thread correctly, you've got a new CVTech primary, a new belt, and a practically new/rebuilt secondary, with a (really) decent looking helix, but you're still getting belt slip under load/at speed?

I mean, I'm scratching my head, too. How does the behavior of your clutches compare to videos? Primary closes in, pulls the secondary open, as you throttle up? Or what?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Exactly, a new CVTech primairy clutch, a new belt, and a lot of new parts at the secondary clutch. Yes, still getting belt slip under load / at speed.

I am going to send you 2 short videos, the clutches seem to behave very well, except that they are still slipping.

I don't know if trying without a clutch cover can have an impact, I don't think so.

Do I have to put back the original clutch to see what will happen? At first I thought the primary clutch was the problem. Now since I installed the CVTech we can see that the problem is not on the primairy clutch.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
I've run down my road many a time without the cover over the belt box, for that exact purpose: to observe the clutches under load/normal use. You sure can, and it won't affect anything. I wouldn't bother changing out the primary yet, if you suspect the issue is with the secondary

41 - 60 of 102 Posts