Can-Am ATV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Factory service manual should detail the secondary, but you'd have to check the CVtech instructions for any shims or spacers needed on the primary.
If the motor mounts are toast will that throw off the alignment between the trans and motor? (I've never had one of my Canned Hams that far apart...I know you have, LOL)

I know that when I added the QSC primary to my machines, the secondary required a spacer.....about 1/4 to 3/8" unit on the end of the shaft. (I think I still have it in a drawer on the bench somewhere...when I rebuilt my STM secondary, I ordered the longer one so the spacer wasn't needed)

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
If the motor mounts are toast will that throw off the alignment between the trans and motor?
Shouldn't, no. Gearbox and bottom end are hard-bolted together. Motor mounts could affect driveshafts/throttle cable, etc, but not the relationship between the primary and secondary (y)

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Here’s what a spacer looks like. I assume whoever is selling the CV Tech primary, they would tell you if this is needed or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Reactions: Lambe

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I checked the CVTech instructions and no mention of spacer anywhere.

I also noticed that the gears are very hard to change.

Sometimes I have the impression that the CVTech does not close completely. I'm not sure where to go right now.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You’ve got the secondary sorted out/refreshed. I’d pop the stock primary back on and see what it does.

Did you file/smooth out the aluminum ramps on the secondary where the helix rubs?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Perfect, I'll put the original clutch back on and see what happens. No I haven't filed out the aluminium ramps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I put back the original clutch, same problem. I seem to have a little more power and the gear lever goes in more easily than usual. I'm sure my main clutch isn't in the best condition either. I await your opinions and here is a video. At the start it is in neutral and then backs up at low speed

Video:

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
What am I missing, from that video? Looked like "normal" operation, to me. Did someone switch my coffee out for decaf?

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
I really think you need to see what you are getting for max rpm. Uou said your guage cluster doesn't show rpm? What guage cluster do you have? I thought the 08s had cluster that showed rpm.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Looked pretty normal to me too. Belt went all the way to the top in the primary, all the way to the bottom in the secondary.

If performance is lacking...I know this goes right back to the start...but how does the quad roll in neutral?

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
if my clutch system is working properly where is the problem i am lost .. I leave a photo of my speedometer and no it does not display the rpm. Always the same problem when I go up I reach 35 km / h and on a flat road 60 km / h maximum.

If the rear does not touch the ground in 2x4 mode it easily reaches 100 km / h
Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Cameras & optics Gas

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
What size/type of tire do you have?

I had an 08 Outlander 400efi and ran 27” Zillas on it. It was not a powerhouse. I ended up running a clutch kit from Dalton on it. I doubt it would hit 70-80 km/hr except maybe on a flat looooong road.

Keep in mind if you have taller than stock tires, the speedo reads low. Use a phone ap.

Your CV Tech primary should give you a bit more low end punch, but top end won’t be any different than the stock primary.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
My tires are a little bigger than the original ones but they always had these tires so there must be a problem ?? At least 20 km / h on a straight road. I have the impression of lack of strength when I go up a hill.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Well you've done everything and then some to the clutches. Maybe your engine power is down...? Skipped timing chain 1 tooth? Burned valve? Plugged fuel filter? Plugged jet? Have you checked compression?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
How to know if the timing chain as skip a tooth?

For the fuel filter, I tried in normal mode and on the reserve with no change.

I'll do a compression test. Do you know the specifications?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
Remind me again, was this an actual drop-off or reduction in top speed that you had previously become accustomed to?

Or has the bike been consistent all this time, and you just think it's not performing up to snuff?

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Strangely, I would say a little of the 2. it is less fast and therefore it looks like it is less efficient ...

When I go up a hill or on a flat path I am always at the maximum

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,401 Posts
Lambe, I sure hope you haven't been chasing your tail all this time.... I mean the 400 has some grunt, but as Dave mentioned, it's not scary fast.

Our "butt dyno"s all become accustomed to the torque/power/speed our machines make, and that can falsely trick your mind into thinking it's gotten slower or is performing worse than it should, when in fact the machine's fine, and its your perception that's changed.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Also, running the fuel in “run” then “reserve” doesn’t tell you anything except that the tank sump is clear. If there is an in-line filter, it should be checked. With the fuel line removed from the carb, it should flow out unimpeded. Carb jets plug easily, especially if it sits for a few months with today’s crappy gas. Sea Foam sometimes will clean them out, but if they are discoloured all green, should be replaced.

As for the timing chain….you’ll need a repair manual and tear into the engine.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts