Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a coupon in an auto trader magazine for the Badland winch at Harbor Freight for 49.99, the mounting plate was 5 bucks making the total winch cost 54.99.
Not too shabby!!
A couple of things I ran into while installing it,

1- the bolt holes on the guide were made to fit the mounting bracket for the winch, and not the standard mounting holes on the front of a quad, the bolt pattern is slightly more narrow than the holes on the quad, I fixed that by taking a 5/16 drill bit in my high speed drill and kind of running it in and out to oblong the mounting holes on the front of my 450L, worked like a charm.

2- The mounting bracket holes line up perfectly with the four mounting holes on the quad, BUT.. the winch when mounted to the bracket actually sits on top of the two left hand bolts, which makes it sit at kind of an angle. The remedy for this was for me to use slightly longer bolts to mount the winch to the bracket, and put nuts on the bolts between the winch and the bracket, so now it is sitting on the nuts in the center, and the bolts on the left hand side, which makes it sit in there level.

I had cheap bolts laying around, they are so cheap they don't have grade markings... I plan on going to ace hardware and buying stainless bolts, pulling the winch back off and remounting it, when I do I will take pictures and put together a "how to" mounting guide for it.

But anyway, 54.99 for a 2500lb winch with a remote.... not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Pics?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trying to do this too! Do you remember how you wired it? Can am wires to where on the Badland solenoid?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found a coupon in an auto trader magazine for the Badland winch at Harbor Freight for 49.99, the mounting plate was 5 bucks making the total winch cost 54.99.
Not too shabby!!
A couple of things I ran into while installing it,

1- the bolt holes on the guide were made to fit the mounting bracket for the winch, and not the standard mounting holes on the front of a quad, the bolt pattern is slightly more narrow than the holes on the quad, I fixed that by taking a 5/16 drill bit in my high speed drill and kind of running it in and out to oblong the mounting holes on the front of my 450L, worked like a charm.

2- The mounting bracket holes line up perfectly with the four mounting holes on the quad, BUT.. the winch when mounted to the bracket actually sits on top of the two left hand bolts, which makes it sit at kind of an angle. The remedy for this was for me to use slightly longer bolts to mount the winch to the bracket, and put nuts on the bolts between the winch and the bracket, so now it is sitting on the nuts in the center, and the bolts on the left hand side, which makes it sit in there level.

I had cheap bolts laying around, they are so cheap they don't have grade markings... I plan on going to ace hardware and buying stainless bolts, pulling the winch back off and remounting it, when I do I will take pictures and put together a "how to" mounting guide for it.

But anyway, 54.99 for a 2500lb winch with a remote.... not bad at all.
Just got the same winch. Had to switch the wires around since its way to close to the winch with nowhere to mount since the dps model spot is already taken, any advice on where to stash this cell where it wont get wrecked? Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts