Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding last night with a buddy (on his Arctic Cat 650 V Twin). I had a good charge on my battery before riding. We rode about 4 mile to a gas station and stopped for fuel. I turned off the Bombardier 800 V Twin and it barely started back over, had to wait a few minutes. We rode about another 10 miles and I accidentally hit the switch and turned off the quad. This time it had nothing at all for a restart. I had to swap batteries with my buddies and it started right up. When we got back after about 2 miles his quad had already charged mine and mine started right up. Is it my voltage regulator?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the battery? I'd charge it and then do a load test. Then go from there.
Was told when I got it a few weeks ago the battery was new. I was going to do that but when it was in my buddies quad for just a few miles it charged it right up with enough to start mine with ease.... Thats what confuses me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It is the stator or regulator. If you have a manual it states how to test both of them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My manual for the 1000 say's it should be 14.5 volts at 4000 rpm. + or- .3 volts.
This is a start If you don't get that then it's the regulator or stator..

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi,

I think a good starting point would be the info on my old thread, hopefully it will help you too.
It was my stator, changed it and its ok for now

check it out

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

I think a good starting point would be the info on my old thread, hopefully it will help you too.

check it out

Thanks Michalip. Printed off that entire thread to check everything tonight. Any idea where I can get a PDF copy of the manual? I would pay for one if I could find one for download...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This could also potentially explain my lighting issue. My headlights only work on one setting (can't remember if it is low or high) and also my taillight/brake light do not work either.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
This could also potentially explain my lighting issue. My headlights only work on one setting (can't remember if it is low or high) and also my taillight/brake light do not work either.
Not sure what the problem may be with the headlights, but it is probably something to do with your hi/low switch, but check out this link for problem with taillight/brake light not working http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/can-am-service-bulletins-recalls-how/29056-brake-light-switch-issues-fix-write-up.html another symptom of this is you can't start in gear while applying brakes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi,

check it out

Thanks Michalip. Printed off that entire thread to check everything tonight. Any idea where I can get a PDF copy of the manual? I would pay for one if I could find one for download...
yep, outyrider posted that link to the manuals above

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Don't overlook the obvious. Check your grounds before digging any further. MAy not be the issue but quick to check and many have had issues that traced back to loose or corroded grounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Checked the ohms on the stator and in all tests got .1 ohms so it is good. All three locations are giving the same voltage output to the voltage regulator also. Checked the voltage regulator and with the atv idling it is giving me am output of 15.22v and with the engine rev'd up it is 14.82v. Do you think my VR is bad? I sure hope this is it....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Checked the ohms on the stator and in all tests got .1 ohms so it is good. All three locations are giving the same voltage output to the voltage regulator also. Checked the voltage regulator and with the atv idling it is giving me am output of 15.22v and with the engine rev'd up it is 14.82v. Do you think my VR is bad? I sure hope this is it....
not sure , make all the tests as I describe on my thread and even more as seen in the manual. Especially the one with checking the stator wires with ground to see open/closed circuits. Maybe it's obvious like others said.
These things are tricky for everyone, dont get discouraged

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also checked the battery with the bike not running and it was around 12.5v and with it running was over 14.5v. Is this too much while running?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I also checked the battery with the bike not running and it was around 12.5v and with it running was over 14.5v. Is this too much while running?
Currently since all my charging components are new:
  1. battery & bike off : 12.8V
  2. battery & bike on: 13.8V
  3. battery & bike revved @4000rpm: 14.8-15.0V
With older components (you can check my thread but if I remember well):

1. battery & bike off : 12.1V
  2. battery & bike on: almost no change (and this is normal)
  3. battery & bike revved @4000rpm: 12.8V - basically not charging !!!
hopefully this helps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts