Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Defender HD8 and second time out it started making a siren kind of noise? I turned the it off and back on a few times and it cleared up for another 15 miles. This was around 70 miles on the unit. The next time I tried to start , 2 days later the battery seemed dead. I jumped it and it started great. It did go for another 10 or 15 miles. Turned it off and it would not start! Had to jump it ! I drove it about 2 miles and turned it off , and it would not start! had to jump it again! I then drove it back to the truck about 3 miles, turned it off and it started, loaded it up and came home about a 25 minute trip and it started again.
What is causing these intermittent dead battery incidents ? Loose connection or bad battery ?

thanks Bill

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yep. You answered it. Check connections and make sure it is charging. If that checks out have the battery tested.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will go through and tighten all battery connections and maybe look at ignition?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Battery was fine ! I checked all connections I could easly get too! I sanded the battery cable connections with fine emory cloth. I think it was the Park Switch ? do the Park switches need adjusted ? It has to be really in the P slot to start ! Thanks Everyone ! Bill

·
Registered
563 Posts
No park switch. Just leave it in gear and push the brake or shift to neutral to start it. Does it show park on the display? The shift cable pry needs adjusted, if it is not showing park.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No park switch. Just leave it in gear and push the brake or shift to neutral to start it. Does it show park on the display? The shift cable pry needs adjusted, if it is not showing park.

Thanks ! I will check it out. I will put it through the paces.
I just got this HD8 and am fiquring out stuff ! lol
I was an Elevator mechanic for 23 years and before that an electrician .
But they are not Can Ams ! Thanks CanAmRancher1 Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ours had a similar issue. Harness to the stator melted down. Couldn’t tell by looking at it. 2020 was 2 weeks old. 3 months later they may have a fix.
Trying to see if others have heard of issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts