Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my battery needs to be replaced on my outlander and was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock batt with a lithium batt? Or is it best to buy the same original batt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
This is one application I personally wouldn't use a lithium battery. The AGM type lead acid can take a lot of hard use compared o standard lead acid batteries. I am about to replace mine in a 2013 model. I am upgrading to the higher capacity model Yuas301a YTX20HL-BS Battery. 310 CCA compared to the originals 270 CCA. yet has the same size. I bought mine on Amazon. Comes with acid not installed. Some points not identified in the very brief instructions.

After adding the acid, let it sit for at least an hour to allow the glass mat to absorb the acid.

The initial charge will determine the future life of the battery. You need a charger that can be limited to 2 amps and can reach 14.8 volts. less and the end terminal voltage will be less then desired leading to poor performance. The NOCO Genius2 Battery Charger fits the bill nicely. leave it on charge for 5-6 hours. The charger will turn off automatically once it's reached a full charge,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is one application I personally wouldn't use a lithium battery. The AGM type lead acid can take a lot of hard use compared o standard lead acid batteries. I am about to replace mine in a 2013 model. I am upgrading to the higher capacity model Yuas301a YTX20HL-BS Battery. 310 CCA compared to the originals 270 CCA. yet has the same size. I bought mine on Amazon. Comes with acid not installed. Some points not identified in the very brief instructions.

After adding the acid, let it sit for at least an hour to allow the glass mat to absorb the acid.

The initial charge will determine the future life of the battery. You need a charger that can be limited to 2 amps and can reach 14.8 volts. less and the end terminal voltage will be less then desired leading to poor performance. The NOCO Genius2 Battery Charger fits the bill nicely. leave it on charge for 5-6 hours. The charger will turn off automatically once it's reached a full charge,
Ok thanks a lot for the info. I’m going to check that battery out you said you ordered.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the higher rated HL-BS.

Installed new stock YTX20L when I got mine.
Factory charged, ready to ride.

Two seasons now and no problems.

Just wanted to add I learned the hard way on my first agm, keep it charged during extended periods if/when youre not riding....had a brand new agm sit for a couple of months during winter once and there was no bringing it back to life.
I followed the directions as styk stated on the initial charge but being used to the old school water batteries I didnt think sitting idle would hurt it. It did.

I put a charger on it religiously now.
Summer heat is brutal on water batts here AGM is the way to go for sure.

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,662 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up on the higher rated HL-BS.

Installed new stock YTX20L when I got mine.
Factory charged, ready to ride.

Two seasons now and no problems.

Just wanted to add I learned the hard way on my first agm, keep it charged during extended periods if/when youre not riding....had a brand new agm sit for a couple of months during winter once and there was no bringing it back to life.
I followed the directions as styk stated on the initial charge but being used to the old school water batteries I didnt think sitting idle would hurt it. It did.

I put a charger on it religiously now.
Summer heat is brutal on water batts here AGM is the way to go for sure.
Yeah I think that’s what happened to mine. I think I went on 1 decent ride in the summer and just putted around the house with the kids and my atv had just been sitting around. I had to charge the battery once in the summer because it wouldnt start and now I charged it but it doesn’t have the power to start it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts