Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to remove belt cover today and all came out but 3. Was told to put impact on them and it will burn them loose. The replace them with bolt flat and lock washer with nut. Will it leak like this? I like the ideal of having a nut on the back. If so what size should I use?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did the 3 that didnt come out get stripped?? Y would you need to change out the hardware for nuts and bolts??? Im going to open my up for the first time this week to inspect the belt and blow out the clucptches b4 my big trip this weekend, just wondering if i shuld expect dificulties

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back plate is also plastic and the bolts just tread into it. I assume mine had been opened before or factory over tightened them from factory so regardless I've got to get them out. Really don't want to change backplate if I don't have to just wondering what my options are

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Try spinning them but don't try to remove the cover right away, The rear cover has embedded nuts. This will melt the surrounding plastic. Give it ten minutes and see if the embedded nut is being gripped again. Worse case is you either use a nut and bolt to replace the esisting hardware or change the backplate.

In any case use antiseize on the bolts afterwards and don't over torque them. they don't require much.

I had one get over torqued when it went in for the 10 hr service now I have to fiddle around with one bolt but i have a new cover to replace it with when it gets beyond fiddling.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't know if they use loctite from the factory or not. The first thing I would do is use a solder gun on the screw head long enough to get some heat down to the threads but not so long you melt plastic. If that doesn't loosen them up then try to spin the insert nut out with the screw. If you get that far then put the insert nut in a vice to get the screw out. Use a tap and die to clean up the screw and the insert nut. Use marine tec or something comparable to epoxy the nut back into the airdam. :smilietwocents:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts