Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Outlander 450 that went in to the dealer for it's 100 hours break in service, they sent it back and about 2 weeks later they called and said that the drive belt needs replacing, the rear brakes need replacement and the left rear shock needs replacing, $1100.00 total , the rear brakes have squeaked since I've owned it, I asked them about it at the 50 hour service and they said because they are higher end pads I would get that, I bought this Can Am because I thought they had a good reputation, so my question is, is the dealer jacking me around or are these quads made cheap ? That belt and brakes should last way longer than 100 hours.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,310 Posts
I have a 2018 Outlander 450 that went in to the dealer for it's 100 hours break in service, they sent it back and about 2 weeks later they called and said that the drive belt needs replacing, the rear brakes need replacement and the left rear shock needs replacing, $1100.00 total , the rear brakes have squeaked since I've owned it, I asked them about it at the 50 hour service and they said because they are higher end pads I would get that, I bought this Can Am because I thought they had a good reputation, so my question is, is the dealer jacking me around or are these quads made cheap ? That belt and brakes should last way longer than 100 hours.
If you don't use engine braking a lot and rely a lot on the actual brakes, yes the pads can wear down quickly. I never had any problem with the pads since I use engine braking very efficiently. I rarely use the actual brakes.

As for the belt, if you ride in Low gear when riding slow or in high-torque situations, your belt should last a long time. A common cause of damaged belts is when the ATV is ridden slow or in high-torque situations while in High gear. I have around 2,500 kms on an OEM belt and it still looks brand new.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The OEM brake pads are notoriously soft, if they last a couple hundred miles you would be very lucky. Aftermarket brake pads on ebay run $25-$75.

A hundred hours doesn't seem like a lot of time on a belt, but if you abused it (i.e. smoke it) a few times then maybe you need to change it. An aftermarket belt would run around $100.00 (maybe a little more)

On the shock I would check with Partzilla (they have the best prices for atv parts) they are about $105

All three of those items are easy repair items for you to do yourself. Remember, their shop hours are probably $100 or more, and they are probably quoting you the time in the service manual.

The only jacking around that I would say he was doing for sure was telling you that the brakes were squeaking because they were higher end pads.

Reactions: Dirty Red Neck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Belt is $110 (Gates Carbon) - takes about an hour to change, longer if you want to clean all your clutches etc.
Shock - $100, 15minutes to change, its 2 bolts.
Pads are under $100 i think. this is for a set of 3 pads, 2 front and 1 rear. EBC Severe Duty. Takes less than 1hour to change. I think just the rear set is like $30.

You tell me, is the $1100 worth them doing it? Depends how much you value your time I guess.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
5,958 Posts
I'd find another dealer

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Belt is $110 (Gates Carbon)
Stay away from the Carbon! Plenty of bad reviews online. Only buy the Redline model from Gates. That one is top notch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my brother in law's 06 400 outlander 3 years ago. Had the cover off to clean out a mouse nest and change the one way last fall and the belt looks like new and I am pretty sure it is the original. Just over 5k miles on it. Sounds like a lot of work on an almost new bike, I would be dubious. Unless it is an air shock there should be some noticeable leakage. do the 'bounce test' to see if it is noticeable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stay away from the Carbon! Plenty of bad reviews online. Only buy the Redline model from Gates. That one is top notch.
Lots of good reviews on those. You have a bad experience with it?

Any belt you read there is bad reviews. I’ve read bad reviews on the redline apparently being too hard on parts like the maverick belt.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Lots of good reviews on those. You have a bad experience with it?

Any belt you read there is bad reviews. I’ve read bad reviews on the redline apparently being too hard on parts like the maverick belt.
I don't personally, but when I was shopping for a belt, I read enough bad reviews to stay away from the Carbon. The redline on the other hand had positive reviews for the majority.

I ended up going with a Mav belt (364) and with 2,500 kms on it now, it's still brand new.

Reactions: TheSponge

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't personally, but when I was shopping for a belt, I read enough bad reviews to stay away from the Carbon. The redline on the other hand had positive reviews for the majority.

I ended up going with a Mav belt (364) and with 2,500 kms on it now, it's still brand new.
I think it all comes down to riding style and setup. If you have lil’ Tommy from the ******* woods install a redline belt and half a$$ clean his clutches, ride mud holes in high or do god knows what the belt ain’t going to last. While, you have Mr. Rogers very particularly clean his clutches, install the carbon and is smart about high vs. Low and when to use the belt would last.

All this to say, to each their own :)

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I think it all comes down to riding style and setup. If you have lil’ Tommy from the *** woods install a redline belt and half a$$ clean his clutches, ride mud holes in high or do god knows what the belt ain’t going to last. While, you have Mr. Rogers very particularly clean his clutches, install the carbon and is smart about high vs. Low and when to use the belt would last.

All this to say, to each their own :)
Yes you do have a point and then comes science and tells you through tests which is the best belt on the market :)

Enjoy watching

Reactions: Freewill

·
Registered
2017 Can-Am Outlander 570 Pro
219 Posts
had the gates G force belt on my 570 .... did last 2000km and teared apart..... now i got the OEM maverick turbo belt for 6000km and it is still like new

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,363 Posts
I am notorious for exploding belts. Of all the brands I have tried, the G-Boost takes the most pounding before it explodes. Weather dragging a Wood Meiser bandsaw up and down mountain trails, deep snow with tracks, Running in the swamps, or running full speed down the road at 10 mile stretches, the G-Boost has held up better than Redline, OEM Maverick, Carbon, or any other belt I have tried. The last G-Boost belt I blew just lost the layer above the cords and I was still able to ride it home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mr. Rogers here...

I just changed out the Carbon belt on my quad after 4000 miles. The last riding trip I was on I noticed a burning rubber smell after a couple of long climbs. The used belt was a little glazed and had a few small cracks between the inner cogs. I replaced with another new Carbon belt I already had as a spare.

I only use my quad for trail riding and treat the belt as the weakest link in the system. I think under these circumstances the Carbon belt is adequate.

That being said, I'm generally not and "adequate" kind of person when it comes to my vehicles so I may go with a different belt next time.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Mr. Rogers here...

I just changed out the Carbon belt on my quad after 4000 miles. The last riding trip I was on I noticed a burning rubber smell after a couple of long climbs. The used belt was a little glazed and had a few small cracks between the inner cogs. I replaced with another new Carbon belt I already had as a spare.

I only use my quad for trail riding and treat the belt as the weakest link in the system. I think under these circumstances the Carbon belt is adequate.

That being said, I'm generally not and "adequate" kind of person when it comes to my vehicles so I may go with a different belt next time.
How often do you ride in Low especially during long climbs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I generally shift to low if it's a decent climb or traveling over rough terrain at less than 12 mph.

IIRC I believe I smelled the belt after climbing some long steep grades in high above 12 mph.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I generally shift to low if it's a decent climb or traveling over rough terrain at less than 12 mph.

IIRC I believe I smelled the belt after climbing some long steep grades in high above 12 mph.
That's exactly why I asked you. High gear will smoke a belt most of the time where Low should've been used. I'm sure the belt would've survived if you were in Low.

Oh well. Happy ridin'

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't disagree with what you are saying.

The belt did survive. It just got a little hot. I rode for several more days on this trip without issue.

I changed it out because I had it torn down to service the one way. I figured after 4000+ miles I got my money's worth out of it, and I had a new one on hand.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts