Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Was over 16,000 km on the OEM belt, changed when I had the engine overhauled (excessive oil consumption).

Reactions: xsever

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,318 Posts
Was over 16,000 km on the OEM belt, changed when I had the engine overhauled (excessive oil consumption).
Oh wow! You rode it right I guess. I changed the OEM belt on mine the first time when it had 9,000 km. It was still working fine but I wanted the peace of mind. I am now approaching 12,000 km. How bad was the excessive oil consumption, were there any leaks as well, and what did you have to replace for the overhaul?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just changed my belt on my 2017 outlander with 2600 miles on it. No hard riding, but I go over 60 mph on the roads, and decent hillclimbs. Two riders the whole time, beverages, recovery gear. I figured just in case of dry rot being 5 years old. The oem belt looked identical, and still had exact width, and depth as new. If your not beating ‘em, these belts last a long time. Hard enough to change in a clean, clear garage, let alone in the field. My sons sportsman belt was way easier, which is doable in the field. No comparison between brp and Polaris quality, and durability.

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
Just changed my belt on my 2017 outlander with 2600 miles on it. No hard riding, but I go over 60 mph on the roads, and decent hillclimbs. Two riders the whole time, beverages, recovery gear. I figured just in case of dry rot being 5 years old. The oem belt looked identical, and still had exact width, and depth as new. If your not beating ‘em, these belts last a long time. Hard enough to change in a clean, clear garage, let alone in the field. My sons sportsman belt was way easier, which is doable in the field. No comparison between brp and Polaris quality, and durability.
I wouldn't change it in this case really if it's still in this kind of an excellent shape. Leave the new one as your spare and carry on with the existing one.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oh wow! You rode it right I guess. I changed the OEM belt on mine the first time when it had 9,000 km. It was still working fine but I wanted the peace of mind. I am now approaching 12,000 km. How bad was the excessive oil consumption, were there any leaks as well, and what did you have to replace for the overhaul?
about a 1/2 liter every 2-3 hours. did a complete engine job. If it looked worn, we changed it. upper and lower, oversize pistons/rings, cam chains/gears/guides. Bearing and bushings as required. Wasn't much point of not replacing things while the crankcase was split open.

Bike works better then it did the day I brought her home from the dealer.

Reactions: xsever

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
about a 1/2 liter every 2-3 hours. did a complete engine job. If it looked worn, we changed it. upper and lower, oversize pistons/rings, cam chains/gears/guides. Bearing and bushings as required. Wasn't much point of not replacing things while the crankcase was split open.

Bike works better then it did the day I brought her home from the dealer.
Very glad to hear it. I'm at 12,000 km now and no oil consumption yet (fingers crossed). I just have a small weep where the engine and gearbox meet. It's nothing serious and I monitor it frequently.

Reactions: Hunter420

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changed the belt on my 650 at 6200 miles just because it was that many miles and I wanted a spare. Towing, plowing etc. looked good to me, so I took it to the dealer and they said there was only one spot on the side where it looked marginally bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
Changed the belt on my 650 at 6200 miles just because it was that many miles and I wanted a spare. Towing, plowing etc. looked good to me, so I took it to the dealer and they said there was only one spot on the side where it looked marginally bad.
I am assuming it's the original belt that came with the machine. Which model year is the machine? Does the belt part number end with 360 or 364?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Outlander 450 that went in to the dealer for it's 100 hours break in service, they sent it back and about 2 weeks later they called and said that the drive belt needs replacing, the rear brakes need replacement and the left rear shock needs replacing, $1100.00 total , the rear brakes have squeaked since I've owned it, I asked them about it at the 50 hour service and they said because they are higher end pads I would get that, I bought this Can Am because I thought they had a good reputation, so my question is, is the dealer jacking me around or are these quads made cheap ? That belt and brakes should last way longer than 100 hours.
He's jacking you up i reckon I've done 500hr on my 800cc still on original belt and brakes..

·
Registered
42 Posts
As far as the belt, I have a Renegade and my clutch intake filter needs cleaned all the time. Sometimes in the middle of a ride. It is always covered with dust, seeds and everything I've driven through. I don't know where the filter is on an outlander but I would check that often to make sure it's not clogged and making your clutch belt overheat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am assuming it's the original belt that came with the machine. Which model year is the machine? Does the belt part number end with 360 or 364?
This better be good. Fought my way through the snow to get the belt number. The machine is a 2012 and the belt is a 360. What dos that mean?

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
This better be good. Fought my way through the snow to get the belt number. The machine is a 2012 and the belt is a 360. What dos that mean?
Hehehe! The 360 belt is the original from 2012. After the 360, the 364 belt was launched which is called the mav or maverick belt and it is known to be even stronger than 360. My outlander is 2016 and it came with the 364 Mav belt which was still fine at 9,000 km. I only changed it for the peace of mind and to keep it as spare.

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Renegade 570
169 Posts
I need to open up my clutches soon to check on the stm secondary I put on a while back, but I have a couple of questions, I think I might have burned my belt in the snow when I should have been in low, but I was in high anyway. How do I know if the belt is glazed, or if it needs to be changed. I also don’t think I know how to properly clean the clutches.

I know quite a bit about my machine, but clutching and belts is kind of a dead space in my knowledge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if the belt is glazed, I think it will show from a bit of a shine on the contact surface. I cleaned my clutches last summer, without taking them off. Just used couple pieces from a package of scouring pads for washing dishes. Ones without the soap infused in them. Bit of work and cause you have do some bending but with the belt off is doeable. Easier with the clutches on the bench but if you don't feel like taking them off this works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hehehe! The 360 belt is the original from 2012. After the 360, the 364 belt was launched which is called the mav or maverick belt and it is known to be even stronger than 360. My outlander is 2016 and it came with the 364 Mav belt which was still fine at 9,000 km. I only changed it for the peace of mind and to keep it as spare.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Renegade 570
169 Posts
if the belt is glazed, I think it will show from a bit of a shine on the contact surface. I cleaned my clutches last summer, without taking them off. Just used couple pieces from a package of scouring pads for washing dishes. Ones without the soap infused in them. Bit of work and cause you have do some bending but with the belt off is doeable. Easier with the clutches on the bench but if you don't feel like taking them off this works.
Ok, I usually just clean them with brake cleaner and some blue shop paper towels.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts