Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OEM snorkel kits are hard to beat, what machine and what year do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined the forum. I have a 2020 HD8 Max Base and I ordered the highlifter kit. Its actually from the previous gen, but with some minor modifications I was able to get it to work.

I think the highlifter is better than factory because all 3 snorkels hide behind the rear headrests. This provides way better rear visibility than the factory one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've been looking at the snorkel kits and IMO the OEM are hands down the best because of one feature and that is the belt exhaust goes up as high as the intakes and then loops back down and dumps on the exhaust. The extreme heat that is generated down on the pipes need as much air flow as possible and that is why you see the normal setup having the belt exhaust going up a little and then looping back down on the exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The highlifter kit uses 2" pipe for routing. The issue with the defender is the narrow gap between the bed and cab. I would think the added length of the OEM belt exhaust routing all the way up and then back down would impede the air flow as much as going with 2" routed at half the length. Also if you take a larger diameter tube and narrow it at some point in the overall flow, then you are partially creating back pressure on the otherwise optimal flow.

It would be interesting to use a temp gun to measure the belt exhaust temps at the snorkel outlet.

From a personal preference I like the snorkels behind the headrest for increased rear visibility. With the MAX the rear view is already limited due to the length of the SXS.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Couldn't copy a picture of one, but here is a link that will show you what they look like. Snorkel Kit for Defender, Defender MAX
I have ordered a set for my ride, and I have reviewed the instructions for installing them, which require some riveted plastic strips to be removed and they will fit. I am not sure what the inside opening of the snorkels are, but looking at the back of my ride it looks like it will be very close to 2" after removing the plastic strips. As far as impeding the air flow, I don't believe it will impede much more than any snorkel that lengthens the snorkel.

But the like I said the main reason I think they will be better is because of the belt exhaust looping back down to the exhaust pipes. I had the Outlander 6x6 and installed the oem snorkel which did not loop back down and was warned by individual on this site that it may lead to an issue with heating, and sure enough it did, the bottom of the bed actually melted. Don't want that to happen again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts