Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a happy medium of tire pressure so I get maximum ground clearance, good traction, and shock absorption ?
Also looking for a good pressure gauge for low pressure ?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The manufacturer has already defined the best average tire pressure & put a label on your machine with that psi.
If you increase the tire pressure to gain clearance you lose traction & side wall flex (shock absorption) decreasing the pressure works the opposite way.
As for a low pressure tire gauge, any auto store should have them in stock.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I run 4psi in my Bearclaw HTR's. They are a beefy tire and we often air them down to 1PSI in the snow. The traction on snow increases immensely that low. They can handle it fine too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that’s super low pressure but I get it.

as far as gauges it’s hard to find a good ACCURATE low pressure gauge. I’ll look at them at the race shop.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeah, 4 on mine may not equal 4 on yours. Accuracy of the gauge doesn't really matter as long as you find the best pressure for you with your gauge. Trial and error of course.
I do know that they seem to slide out a lot easier if you have a couple pounds too much. The ride is stiffer also since they are a heavier ply tire. I found mine gained almost 2 PSI at elevation than what I set them at in the garage.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think stock calls for 7psi. But you need to see where it feels comfortable for you. Trial and error. Be careful not to go too high or low, that could hinder your handling.

The stock tool kit that comes with these quads already includes a low pressure gauge. Mine works well and has been verified by using a digital gauge

Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve always just found the right “feel” by riding then stood at the back & faced quad & pushed my foot into the center & gauged how much “squish” I got then matched them. Gade usually tracked well confirming I wasn’t too far off. Primitive but effective. I do know that I was running a little stiff tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts