Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salt Lake County here in Utah just cleaned up there street legal laws to go along better with the rest of the state. Another win for the street legal guys.

Here is a link to a video done on the subject if anyone is interested. The video doesn't lay out all the right info like the helmet law and is kind of confusing as they are talking about SLC and not the whole state.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Gee muddydogs: I just found your post. That is good news for the folks that live in Salt Lake City. I have a good friend here that grew up in Salt Lake City. In fact, he is taking me to Bonneville this year if the salt is good to run on. I told him I should bring my Outlander and set a new speed record for stock ATVs, under 1000cc. He didn't think so. Gee, they have a class for 50cc motorcycles, why not me? The more I learn about Utah, the better I like it.

Utah may be the most friendly ATV state in the union. I hope you are an example for other states to follow. I think when people get used to ATVs filling up with fuel at the convenience store, or traveling down the road, the more people will be receptive to these silly looking motor vehicles, or motorcycles if I may.

David

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the post. Do you have a link that explains the differences between SL County ATV/UTV street legal routes, vs the rest of the state? I have a 2017 Maverick X3 that has a street legal kit, and a license plate, but I'm not quite sure which roads I can travel on. Case in point, last weekend after exploring along the UT/NV state line looking for wild horses, we came out on highway 56 just west of the state line (in NV), and had to take the highway back to Modena, UT, where we had the truck and trailer parked. Speed limit on that highway is 65 mph. The X3 has no problem going 65 mph, but was I legal? That area is pretty isolated, by the way, and we didn't see one other vehicle while we were on the highway.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi Mopartoyou: Muddydogs has taught me all kinds of things about street riding ATVs in Utah. Utah may be the ATV capital state of the union. I say this because of Moab and the fact you can ride on public roads. Maybe your Idaho is the same way.

Here is a link to the Utah DMV site relating to ATVs and UTVs. I bookmarked it as it is an excellent model for my state legislators to follow. I sent it to my elected reps so they would have it.

ATVs and Dirt Bikes | Utah DMV

David

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks, I looked through that site earlier. It looks like I'm in compliance with all of the requirements to be street legal. I'm looking for more specific information on which roads outside of SL County would be ATV legal roads, and didn't find it on that site. I was in Iron County at the time I mentioned above.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I looked through that site earlier. It looks like I'm in compliance with all of the requirements to be street legal. I'm looking for more specific information on which roads outside of SL County would be ATV legal roads, and didn't find it on that site. I was in Iron County at the time I mentioned above.
Any road in the state of Utah outside SL county are legal to ride on except the interstate. Max speed is 50 mph, if the road is posted higher then 50 mph we can still ride on the road but we're supposed to ride as far right as possible whatever that means.

I will have to look for links, have you visited ATVUtah forums? ATVUtah is probably the best place for info about Utah street legal laws and other Utah ATV stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Any road in the state of Utah outside SL county are legal to ride on except the interstate. Max speed is 50 mph, if the road is posted higher then 50 mph we can still ride on the road but we're supposed to ride as far right as possible whatever that means.

I will have to look for links, have you visited ATVUtah forums? ATVUtah is probably the best place for info about Utah street legal laws and other Utah ATV stuff.
Thanks. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I haven't been to ATVUtah's website yet. I'll check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts