Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Bike won’t stay in sport mode

1679 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  318gofast
Every time I restart the bike it resets to normal mode. I thought this was normal until my buddy with the same bike but a 2021 says his stays in it. 2022 outlander 850 xmr.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
The 22s for some reason are programmed to not stay in sport mode when they shut off.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Helpful
Reactions: xsever

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
Well that’s dumb, somebody dropped the ball ???
Seems like it. I have seen quite a few guys on YouTube hoping they would come out with an update.

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Maybe some lame approach to keeping the emissions whiners happy 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
677 Posts
I can confirm what CanAmRancher said. It comes back to normal mode. Personally It doesn't bother me. That's my personal opinion.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
This strikes me as a software/firmware issue, but even though I'm employed in the IT world, I'll admit I know next to nothing about ECMs and BUDS.

So I'm wondering, if I wanted some sort of mod, could I pull the ECM from my bike, ship it to someone like @Freewill who has BUDS, and pay him for it?

· Registered
2021 outlander 850 MAX XTP
763 Posts
Not trying to under cut freewill just giving options……Yes monster, Mr RPM , and another guy name ray but someone else will have to chime in on that info
I believe monster is in Canada so that’s a plus for you.

· Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,302 Posts
This strikes me as a software/firmware issue, but even though I'm employed in the IT world, I'll admit I know next to nothing about ECMs and BUDS.

So I'm wondering, if I wanted some sort of mod, could I pull the ECM from my bike, ship it to someone like @Freewill who has BUDS, and pay him for it?
I am not set up to program an ecm that is not connected to the machine. My programming with BUDS2 is a hobby only.

Not trying to under cut freewill just giving options……Yes monster, Mr RPM , and another guy name ray but someone else will have to chime in on that info
There is no undercutting. I suggest sending it to one of the guys listed above too. They have way more experience than me. I mainly program / diagnose my machines and maybe some other local area machines.

· Registered
1,183 Posts

Ahhh... there you go. So it can be done.

BTW...I'm not interested in this. I was just hucking an idea out for the OP.

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
Not sure I would contact them.

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,112 Posts
Maybe it's implemented as a safety feature when starting the ATV again since the throttle response is very responsive and even twitchy in Sport mode?

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
Maybe it's implemented as a safety feature when starting the ATV again since the throttle response is very responsive and even twitchy in Sport mode?
True but someone bought an 850 or 1000 for a reason. If I want it in sport mode I want it to stay until I change it not because someone thought they should watch out for me...

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,112 Posts
True but someone bought an 850 or 1000 for a reason. If I want it in sport mode I want it to stay until I change it not because someone thought they should watch out for me...
Yeah I'm with ya. I'm just guessing what they're doing. Same thing on my Benz. It starts in Comfort mode all the time even if it were in Sport mode when you turned it off.

Reactions: CanAmRancher1

· Registered
1,183 Posts
I've been thinking about this. I'm thinking BBomb might be right...it's emissions related. Smart when you think about it.

The "normal" de facto mode adheres to emissions standards. This means the engine is tuned to run cool, efficient, and within emission standards, something increasingly difficult for manufacturers to achieve. So "normal" is just that, normal.

Sport mode, because it doesn't permanently stick, is an option imposed by the user. It's no different than installing some sort of high-power tuner mod. BRP can effectively acquit itself of anything related to Sport Mode because it doesn't stick and is a conscious choice imposed by the user. Nothing to do with BRP.

I might be wrong about this though. Thoughts?

· Premium Member
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
1,130 Posts
Great Logic!

I'm not sure if the EPA will segregate the programs or treat the bike as a whole. In other words, from the factory in any program it must fall between A and B parameters.

These are truly first world issues. Just push the button twice after starting. ;)

I'm only on an 850 but if I'm ripping through the trails then head back to the house and the wife jumps on it, she has to check what program it's in before taking off. There is a substantial difference between Sport and Work. Honestly, I would worry a little less if it defaulted back to Standard or Work. Then again, I could just set it to Work when I get back. 🙃

Who knows - yes it's minor inconvenience but a bit more safe and might keep your yard from being ripped up by rooster tails👍.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts