Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a trip to the black hills late summer early fall. We just purchased our first camper (toy hauler). Wondering if anyone has been to the black hills and camped/rode. We are looking for 30 amp electric hook up at minimum and be able to ride from the camp site. Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check out the KOA campground in Hill City SD, they say there the largest KOA in the nation and have trails just out the back gate and many activities for the young kid if need be. We stayed for 5 days and never ran out of trails. They are located a few miles from Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse monumount. You'll need a permit $20 for 7 days or $25 for 1 year. The US Forest service's office is a few miles south of Rapid City on SD HWY 16. You can get permits and real nice trail maps there or can call for maps at 1.800.952. 3625. Riding the Black Hills is a ever changing conditions from rock to open trail in grasslands and weather that can change in 20 minutes so be prepared. We try to ride the Black Hills once or twice a year, and plan a off weekend if possible so you don't have to fight the crowds on and off the trails. jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mt Meadow Resort near Deerfield Lake west of Hill City. Atv trails leave in the resort. We rode for five days there last September.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What's the weather like there in the mid/later summer? Are there challenging trails (borderline extreme to extreme) or more tame dirt trails? Usually ride the Rockies in Colorado but would like to check something else out sometime.

·
Registered
951 Posts
What trails like? Variety?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone rent ATVs in the Black Hills area? We are considering vacationing there at: some point. It would be fun to check out the trails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I have been reading the trails range from beginner to advanced. Doesn't sound like it is real "extreme" riding. Also from looking at camp grounds it appears that most do rent ATVs. I would assume the weather to be decent late summer early fall. I am in Nebraska and the weather is usually the nicest around mid to late September. It can change at any second though. Thanks for all the great info guys. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the info about rentals. I can explore those options when the time comes.

I was stationed nearby at Ellsworth AFB in the early 80's. I'm sure a lot has changed since then but hoping a lot has not. We explored what seemed to be: every inch of trail back then in our trucks. Nobody had ATVs back then. It would sure be fun to revisit some of those areas on a 4 wheeler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts