Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am again with another problem...

When I first got this quad (2005 Outlander 400 XT) I went on a 80-90km ride across the county. On the way back I had to of been 3/4 to full throttle most of the time, when I got half way back to where I left the machine bogged and kept slowing g down until it stopped and stalled. Couldn't figure out why this happened so I tried to turn it back on and BAM, it started like nothing happened. I rode home and just blamed it on myself thinking I was too hard on it.

Today I went on a 80km ride, this bogging happened to me twice on the way to the location and once on the way back. When it first happened I thought it was over heating or the spark plug fouled as it was 3/4 to WOT most of the way so I checked the plug and it was fine then I checked the coolant and it was low so I waited for it to cool down and added water, Turned it on and rode off just like before. Then it happened again and again so I just waited each time. I stared to go easy on it on the way back and it didn't happen again so that's how I rode it the way home. The only difference between the first ride and this ride is that I had a 2 up on it with a 90lbs passenger so I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

When it bogs it seems as if it's getting too much fuel as it backfires like crazy until you let off the throttle and it dies. When you let it die you can immediately get it running again by using the choke but if you let off the choke it dies again until you give it time. So is it getting too much or not enough fuel. I know it runs slightly rich at idle but it wouldn't affect it that much would it? Is it building up un-burnt fuel in they cylinder until it dies, but that doesn't make sense because you can choke it to start it???

I have 3 theories:
1. The tank vent line is plugged and can't get enough air in the tank to displace the fuel.
2. The fuel pump is junk
3. It's running way to rich or lean at WOT

The easiest fix to this would be to get a bigger and newer quad but I can barely afford the little gas it uses lol.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have 3 theories:
1. The tank vent line is plugged and can't get enough air in the tank to displace the fuel.
2. The fuel pump is junk
3. It's running way to rich or lean at WOT
To test your theories :
Did you ever try a little choke when it's happening ?
Or loosening the cap while it's happening ?

It sounds to me like there isn't enough fuel in the float bowl after running hard for an extended period .
Switch it over to reserve on the petcock and bypass the upper filter ( it may be obstructed ) .

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To test your theories :
Did you ever try a little choke when it's happening ?
Or loosening the cap while it's happening ?

It sounds to me like there isn't enough fuel in the float bowl after running hard for an extended period .
Switch it over to reserve on the petcock and bypass the upper filter ( it may be obstructed ) .
Yup gotta clean the carb. My kids 400 did exact same thing, pulled carb and it was gummed up. Cleaned it up and problem solved
If it sounds like what's happening to me happened to you then I'll first cleaning the carb like you did to fix it. Didn't think it would have anything to do with the carb at first but if it's clogged up it won't get enough fuel like you guys said. Chances are it's the carb, guess I'll find out once I open it up!

Anything special about taking this carb apart? Carburetors are one of the things I didn't want on a quad as it's always the problem on all my toys, guess it's coming true on this one aswell. DAMN I HATE CARBURETORS!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't waste too much brain power on this until I try to clean the carbs but for more info:

I did think of turning it to reserve while it was doing it but didn't think it would do much as it's still sucking from the maybe pressurised tank. I didn't take the gas cap off while it was doing it but I gave it the gas for a good 2 minutes then took it off and no pressure was built up, should of said this in the original post but I guess I didn't think enough pressure built up enough. Now that I think of it I would have heard it a bit of it was pressure so I'm going to mark pressurised tank off the list. Also, if the choke worked then it must be pulling from the tank. Didn't try the choke until it died but I did use the choke to get it moving again then turned it off once I gained some momentum to keep the motor going.

Another thing I should have mentioned is that the fuel filter on the bike is a automotive style in line filter, I wonder if that is slowing down the flow of fuel, but again cranking would be enough to get the fuel through it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
a quick fix to try is find the drain tube at the bottom of the carb. There will be a screw or allen screw at the bottom. Unscrew it one turn and it will drain any water or gunk out of the float bowl. You'll see it running out at the bottom of the quad. Let it run for 10 seconds and tighten the screw. That may or may not fix it but it's worth a try

·
Registered
811 Posts
I like the way youre thinking...

Yeah ditch the filter and throw one of these on it instead.
My carb loves it all the way thru the powerband.

Outlaw Racing OR2210 Motorcycle Inline Gas Fuel Line Filter Atv Utv Snowmobile Quad Scooter 1/4 Amazon.com: Outlaw Racing OR2210 Motorcycle Inline Gas Fuel Line Filter Atv Utv Snowmobile Quad Scooter 1/4: Automotive

Im thinking if it was the plug, it wouldnt idle,,,or maybe the gap is off. Definately something to check, my carb can tell the difference if the gap isnt right. Ive tried opening it more and it likes the recommended gap at wot for sure.

The vent on the tank should be in the cap.
You can try cracking the cap open when it does it and if no change then give it a little choke and see what it does.

Sounds to me like your float level is off and or main jet is not right or plug gap or fuel pump or dirty carb.

Never hurts to give it a good cleaning and a rebuild on the older mikunis. Or any old carb.

But before you adjust the float, check the main jet.

I ALSO HATE CARBURETORS!
But I wanted a carb.
To me, you just cant get the tone I love out of efi.
Way less to mess as far as tuning with efi for sure.
(Theres a reason pretty much EVERYTHING is efi now)
Once the carb is dialed in you really dont have to mess with it again except routine maintenance.

Anyways, good luck.
Keep doing what youre doing, youll get it.

Dont remember if I posted these vids for you before but this carb really isnt that difficult compared to some v8 carbs I can think of.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If a carb cleaning doesnt do it and the main jet is right and the spark plug gap is good and it still bogs down after that Id go for a fuel pump but sounds like a tuning/fuel flow thing to me.
Hopefully its something simple, start with the plug gap.

Just fyi
Been thru this on my 07 carbureted, except just the opposite.
It wouldnt idle, wot was fine.
Had a tiny bit of a stumble under load around 3/4 , a dynojet kit and a 128 jet fixed that.

Good luck

·
Registered
811 Posts
One more thing Im remembering,
When I was dialing in the float level...giving it a little choke at speed was like giving it a shot of nitrous!
So I kept raising the float level until that went away.
Its a very fine line between good and overflow so to make it easier for me to see, I ran a longer hose out of the drain screw lava is talking about and ran it out at my left foot so I could look down and see what was going on.

Would definately recommend watching connelys videos if youre going to go for the carb.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If it helps, the choke is not actually a "choke" like in the traditional definition I was used to.

Its an enricher.
There is no butterfly choke valve. It changes the air/fuel mix.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Awesome! These carbs are much more simplified than I thought. I'm confident I can clean it and have it back together in no time, although I do have a few questions. 1. Is there a certain amount of turns I have to do on the Jets (do I have to tune them) or do I just tighten them. 2. How do I measure the size of the main jet and what is the correct size. 3. Is it really that simple to adjust the idle like in the video? I think my air/fuel mixture of fine because the plugs looked perfect but it's hard to shift and sometimes grinds gears because the secondary is engaging in neutral.

I think my float level is fine because it doesn't dump any fuel out of the bottom so I don't believe that's an issue. Something I have never done on anything is gaping the plugs, is it that important? I just pull the plug out and jam a new one in lol, I know you're supposed to gap them and it won't harm anything but does it make that much of a difference?

I think another issue could be the fuel filter, the one in it now is big and bulky, definitely not helping and fuel flow. I think I have a can am fuel filter I accidentally ordered from the dealer for my defender when buying the oil change kit (Only the newer machines get the special XPS oil treatment) so if I can find it I'll use that.

The videos are really helping me figure out what I need to do, I thought carbs were way more complicated that they really are and everything had to be set perfectly but I guess not.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Been a while for me.

Was actually fun to not notice some stupid little steel bb left in the tray as I was tightening the last screw.
Not a complicated carb at all really.

Fuel mix screw on the bottom kinda really SUCKS for idle circuit tuning with the engine running tho.
Gotta say WTF to that srry for the language.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was the fuel tank breather (which I'm wishing it was, but at least I'm getting to know my machine) I would have drilled a whole through the top of the cap through the first layer then drilled 4 smaller holes offset to the center one from the outside lol. If it works it works!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Been a while for me.

Was actually fun to not notice some stupid little steel bb left in the tray as I was tightening the last screw.
Not a complicated carb at all really.

Fuel mix screw on the bottom kinda really SUCKS for idle circuit tuning with the engine running tho.
Gotta say WTF to that srry for the language.
Awesome! These carbs are much easier to work on than I thought! I'm confident I can clean it and have it back together in no time, although I do have a few questions. 1. Is there a certain amount of turns I have to do on the Jets (do I have to tune them) or do I just tighten them. 2. How do I measure the size of the main jet and what is the correct size. 3. Is it really that simple to adjust the idle like in the video? I think my air/fuel mixture of fine because the plugs looked perfect but it's hard to shift and sometimes grinds gears because the secondary is engaging in neutral.

I think my float level is fine because it doesn't dump any fuel out of the bottom so I don't believe that's an issue. Something I have never done on anything is gaping the plugs, is it that important? I just pull the plug out and jam a new one in lol, I know you're supposed to gap them and it won't harm anything but does it make that much of a difference?

I think another issue could be the fuel filter, the one in it now is big and bulky, definitely not helping and fuel flow. I think I have a can am fuel filter I accidentally ordered from the dealer for my defender when buying the oil change kit (Only the newer machines get the special XPS oil treatment) so if I can find it I'll use that.

The videos are really helping me figure out what I need to do, I thought carbs were way more complicated that they really are and everything had to be set perfectly but I guess not.

Don't know what happened here but it posted twice?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I bought another spark plug gapper just to keep in my kit on the quad so yes, its important.
Theyre usually good to go out of the box np but, i dropped one one time doing my truck and wow

There should be a tiny hole in the cap and the one way valve should rattle but not stick but yeah watever works right?

1 no they just tighten

2 its stamped on them. A magnifying glass and good light are needed

3 yes idle mix is that simple watch your hand on the shifter linkage OUCH

and dont mess with the air fuel right now, it sounds good.

You want to adjust/change only one thing at a time.
Yours sounds good.

I think the float was mentioned because of what you described sounds like its starving for fuel at wot, one cause could be low float.

Fwiw, I ran a $40 amazon carb while I had it out so I could keep riding, it was ok.
Lost some overall power and top end.

My brother tosses a new one in his honda dirt bikes instead of a rebuild. Theyre so cheap he keeps a couple on the shelf.

It looks intimidating but with those vids, its really not.
Hard to beat the bsr33 on a 400 imo its worth keeping.

·
Registered
811 Posts
These are the stock jet sizes that should be in there.
Wasnt sure of all their names at the time haha
but mine came with a 120 main and a 30 pilot so you never know till you take the bowl off and look.

Could just need a cleaning, if nothin else just get to it and loosen the intake boot, spin it and drop the bowl, spray it all out, blow it all out real good and try it before you go deeper into taking it out and all apart.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sometimes getting that choke out is a bitch and the throttle cable has to be removed and the float bowl screws strip stupid easy so use a good screwdriver.

Other than than, piece of cake.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are the stock jet sizes that should be in there.
Wasnt sure of all their names at the time haha
but mine came with a 120 main and a 30 pilot so you never know till you take the bowl off and look.
View attachment 97456

Could just need a cleaning, if nothin else just get to it and loosen the intake boot, spin it and drop the bowl, spray it all out, blow it all out real good and try it before you go deeper into taking it out and all apart.

Thanks! I think that's everything I need to know! I'll take it apart sometime tomorrow and give it a deep clean, give it a better fuel filter and gap the spark plug and see how it likes that!

I have a feeling it just needs a good cleaning from what Outty said but I might as well go all they way and do everything.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts