Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh, also,,,, while I was trying to figure mine out I found the carb to intake adapter was shot and it was sucking air.

Ok have fun.
Hopefully its something simple.

no change go for a fuel pump...one of those should do it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks! I think that's everything I need to know! I'll take it apart sometime tomorrow and give it a deep clean, give it a better fuel filter and gap the spark plug and see how it likes that!

I have a feeling it just needs a good cleaning from what Outty said but I might as well go all they way and do everything.
Sounds like a fun saturday to me!
Rather be riding, or fishing but yeah have fun itll be worth doing

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Don't waste too much brain power on this until I try to clean the carbs but for more info:

I did think of turning it to reserve while it was doing it but didn't think it would do much as it's still sucking from the maybe pressurized tank.
Switching to reserve will bypass the upper fuel line and filter and draw from the (less used and probably cleaner) lower filter in the tank .

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
...also be very aware and careful when taking the choke apart to remove the carb .
Take plenty of pictures if you aren't familiar with the VM series carbs .
Sudco.com will be your best source for parts should you need them .

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah good luck! It was like 2yrs ago when I did mine but I remember the main jet was really gummed up and everything was tarnished bad. It definitely had sat with bad gas in it. Also don't know if it was mentioned but there is a screen that needs to be checked. Here's a video I found not the best but shows the screen that he had plugged up.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That vid helped me too.

That screen is under the float needle.

Carefully remove the float and float needle without bending it.

Theres one more screw and the float seat comes out.

He taps it with the screwdriver at 5:56 in the first disassembly vid.
That screen is under there.

Make sure you pull it and clean it.

I had issues with deteriorated fuel lines and cleaned it several times on the bike before I finally gave up fighting the chunks of rubber and ran new fuel lines.

I can take pics with my spare carb if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Switching to reserve will bypass the upper fuel line and filter and draw from the (less used and probably cleaner) lower filter in the tank .
Yeah good luck! It was like 2yrs ago when I did mine but I remember the main jet was really gummed up and everything was tarnished bad. It definitely had sat with bad gas in it. Also don't know if it was mentioned but there is a screen that needs to be checked. Here's a video I found not the best but shows the screen that he had plugged up.

View attachment 97459

Remove that screw ^^^
Pull out that seat and the screen is under there
View attachment 97460
My fuel lines are pretty fresh so I don't think I'll have to do anything with them, if I still have this problem after the cleaning and everything I may blow some air back through the lines so blow anything out of them and anything on the screen filter inside the tank (if it has one).

Thanks for mentioning the screen, I know I would have put it back together and not see the screen meanwhile that was the problem.

I'll have to re-watch the videos when taking it apart just to make sure I do everything correctly. I've cleaned a few carbs by spraying brake clean inside the ports and jets but I have never taken the Jets out. The most in depth I've gone into one was when the needles on my sleds carbs were sticking shut. And when the needles were stuck open when rubber from the fuel line Jams the needle open leaking fuel all over the garage in Chinese quads, another reason why I hate carbs.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My brother tried one of those cheap quads for his kids, srry but junk.

Had that screen out so many times I just take it for granted that its part of cleaning the carb.
Srry
Glad he mentioned it.

Yeah I rewatched several times the 1st couple of times I had it out.
I would definately recommend taking connelys full clinic once youve cleaned it and put it back in and run it.

Youll be more familiar with it and itll make more sense if you decide to get back into it and tune it or get some kits and rebuild or rejet it.

He covers a lot of excellent points and his bench setting tecnique for the float level really helped me also.
Hes a harley tech but the info applies to pretty much all cv carbs.

Good to hear on your fuel lines.
Thats part of the battle with these older quads too.
Those lines inside the tank with the filters are probably rotted off and disentigrated, the filters rolling around loose, thanks ethanol!!!
Keeps the gunk from building up at the bottom lol

Good quality filter just before the carb works.

You dont have to pull the jets unless you want to id them.
They screw right out/in if you do.
Should be a tiny stamp on the top of each one you can see with a mf glass and wet your finger and run it across the top of the jet.
Shoot em all with carb cleaner, blow em all out, all of the passages and nooks and crannies and best of luck.

Hope this fixes it

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My brother tried one of those cheap quads for his kids, srry but junk.

Had that screen out so many times I just take it for granted that its part of cleaning the carb.
Srry
Glad he mentioned it.

Yeah I rewatched several times the 1st couple of times I had it out.
I would definately recommend taking connelys full clinic once youve cleaned it and put it back in and run it.

Youll be more familiar with it and itll make more sense if you decide to get back into it and tune it or get some kits and rebuild or rejet it.

He covers a lot of excellent points and his bench setting tecnique for the float level really helped me also.
Hes a harley tech but the info applies to pretty much all cv carbs.

Good to hear on your fuel lines.
Thats part of the battle with these older quads too.
Those lines inside the tank with the filters are probably rotted off and disentigrated, the filters rolling around loose, thanks ethanol!!!
Keeps the gunk from building up at the bottom lol

Good quality filter just before the carb works.

You dont have to pull the jets unless you want to id them.
They screw right out/in if you do.
Should be a tiny stamp on the top of each one you can see with a mf glass and wet your finger and run it across the top of the jet.
Shoot em all with carb cleaner, blow em all out, all of the passages and nooks and crannies and best of luck.

Hope this fixes it
I pulled the carb and while taking ng it apart, the damn choke wire with the springs on the end of it flew apart. Going to try to figure out how it went together, wish I had taken a picture.

I opened the bowl and the carb looks like new! No gunk or anything built up in the bowl! I pulled all the Jets and they are all stock, thanks for the sizes! I couldn't see through the main jet very well so I sprayed brake clean through it and now I can see clearly through it. The other jet that was kind of full of junk was the "small jet" but it's kind of hard to tell. I checked the screen in the carb and it had next to nothing on it. Now I'm kind of confused on how to check the float level, is it in one of the videos and I missed it?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I pulled the carb and while taking ng it apart, the damn choke wire with the springs on the end of it flew apart. Going to try to figure out how it went together, wish I had taken a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
That's exactly how mine was, jets were gummed up and screen was perfectly clean. Hopefully when you get choke figured out she'll be running like a champ!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Setting the float level is more complicated.

Theres the clear tube method. Connelys bench set method got me closest.
A lot of trial and error.
Mostly error.
I wouldnt mess with that right now. A tiny adjustment makes a huge difference.

Its not that I dont think you can handle it you obviously can.
Just saying one thing at a time.

It may have just been that gummed up jet.
Start messing with the float level and you may have a whole nother problem.

I'll find the vid but check out the clear tube method and eyeballing it and doing it right with the gauge.

Even after you watch several gauge set methods you will still be cornfused where to measure from, I was. And they still usually need fine tuning since every bike motor sits differently.
Try to resist bending the tab for now and see if your cleaning did it.

There is a way to eyeball it but it has to "click" for you....

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yeah here it is.
If you check his channel theres a lot of the best info there.

Ive seen guys gauge it, build jigs etc etc

This is the easiest way Ive found.
Then you have to put it in and run it.
Then you have to fine tune it which can be done without pulling the carb again but you have to drain the bowl everytime.
Its really not worth messing with it at this point.
You already said its not overflowing.
That is the only reason I would adjust it right now.
You can visually check it and note where it is mentally for possible adjustment later.

Now, if it still has that issue you described after the reinstall, i would mess with it while a new fuel pump was on the way...

Anyways...clinic #4
Best float level bench setting vid on utube imo

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's very cool ^ .
Wish I had that when I did mine :cautious:
Just trying to pay it forward a little bit.

I was determined to keep this bsr once I found out how much an original replacement was -IF- you can find one.

So hours and hours and hours of vids, connelys clinics, talking to shop guys.

One of the parts guys at my dealers parts dept is a carb guru.

Then more hours of jetting theory once it was all done and running great...

Thanks to all those guys that posted vids and took time to talk carbs with me.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My choke was fine.

My problem happened when I took the float off for the first time and the float needle disappeared...wth just happened????
Where did that just go!
Arrrrrgh! CARBS!!!!
I HATE CARBS
haha

·
Registered
811 Posts
I pulled the carb and while taking ng it apart, the damn choke wire with the springs on the end of it flew apart. Going to try to figure out how it went together
That's very cool ^ .
Wish I had that when I did mine :cautious:
My problem happened when I took the float off for the first time and the float needle disappeared...wth just happened????
Where did that just go!
Arrrrrgh! CARBS!!!!
I'll even quote myself on this one and say what we need is an experienced carb guy at the table with us the first time to help us with these rookie moves.

Dont feel bad
We all do it!

And also, if this works and/or once you get it dialed in and want to get even more out of it besides clutching, check out a dynojet stage 1 kit for your carb (y)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts