Can-Am ATV Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My brother tried one of those cheap quads for his kids, srry but junk.

Had that screen out so many times I just take it for granted that its part of cleaning the carb.
Srry
Glad he mentioned it.

Yeah I rewatched several times the 1st couple of times I had it out.
I would definately recommend taking connelys full clinic once youve cleaned it and put it back in and run it.

Youll be more familiar with it and itll make more sense if you decide to get back into it and tune it or get some kits and rebuild or rejet it.

He covers a lot of excellent points and his bench setting tecnique for the float level really helped me also.
Hes a harley tech but the info applies to pretty much all cv carbs.

Good to hear on your fuel lines.
Thats part of the battle with these older quads too.
Those lines inside the tank with the filters are probably rotted off and disentigrated, the filters rolling around loose, thanks ethanol!!!
Keeps the gunk from building up at the bottom lol

Good quality filter just before the carb works.

You dont have to pull the jets unless you want to id them.
They screw right out/in if you do.
Should be a tiny stamp on the top of each one you can see with a mf glass and wet your finger and run it across the top of the jet.
Shoot em all with carb cleaner, blow em all out, all of the passages and nooks and crannies and best of luck.

Hope this fixes it
That's exactly how mine was, jets were gummed up and screen was perfectly clean. Hopefully when you get choke figured out she'll be running like a champ!
My choke was fine.

My problem happened when I took the float off for the first time and the float needle disappeared...wth just happened????
Where did that just go!
Arrrrrgh! CARBS!!!!
I HATE CARBS
haha
Its running again!
Took some messing with the fuel line as the filter inlet and outlet was bigger than the line but I got it to work. I then adjusted the idle (which I still need to mess with a bit more) and it's working better than ever, I think the idle adjustment did some good as it doesn't clunk into gear anymore.

All these Chinese quads are junk, even the bigger ones like cub cadet aren't the greatest either. Just spends the extra few on a name brand and you'll get that much more out of it.

I got the choke figured out just a few minutes after I posted that lol, at least the Video you posted will help someone in the future. I'm guessing that the spring keeps the plunger straight and pushes the plunger in when slack to the line is given. And yeah... Don't think I'll be messing with the float level anytime soon. When I was cranking I could hear a difference between choke on and off so I knew I did it right.

I don't have a spark plug gaping tool so I'm going to pick one up sometime this week, don't think the gap has anything to do with my bogging problem anyways but it would positively effect the performance. Really anything to add some power to the smaller 400 is important to have compared to the bigger 50-80 HP motors.

When I first looked through the main jet I could see as much light through it as I could see through the 2nd smallest jet, not very much. Once I sprayed the brake clean through it there was a gob of gunk laying on the outside of the jet lol, really think that will make a big difference.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that the float and needle are connected which is a awesome idea! Now the needle won't stick shut and it won't rely on gravity to open again! Don't know how many times a carb on my sled have stuck shut, so damn annoying.

The carb on this quad is completely different from what I'm used to as the choke is usually the flap and the slider thingy (thing that moves up and down) is the throttle. I'm am kind of confused on what that black plastic thingy that goes up and down does, I know that it has something to do with air pressure as when I blow into the hole in the top it opens up and down when I stop blowing. Is this a automatic choke of some sort? Is it down when the motor stops running but opens when the air pressure in the air box changes and is sucking in? I understand the choke is and enricher as you said jungleman which sounds like a good idea but wouldn't be fun to fix, and I understand that the throttle is just a flap. Love the idea that the idle just increases the throttle and that the air/fuel can be adjusted from the outside. My old Honda's carb is screwed up and has never run right, and on that one you have to take the carb apart to adjust the air/fuel and the idle, pain in the @$$!

I thought that taking apart carburetors was much more complicated than it was as I thought that I had to have everything tuned perfectly, but I guess not and the only things that are complicated are the air fuel and the weird plastic thing that opens and shuts depending on air pressure. Think I may try a dynojet kit sometime in the future, probably next time the carbs need a cleaning. I'm also thinking about clutching, mostly for speed as I'm almost always pinned when riding on the local retired railbed. Who knows what I'll do as I already have a bunch of things planed to do to it (led light bar, new rims, new grips, the list goes on and on).

Anyways, thanks for they help guys! If it is still happening I'll try to change the fuel filter to a proper one, then then I'll start testing the fuel vent, then order a fuel pump as it's common for them to go bad on these (and I wouldn't mind a spare anyways) and mess with the float level. If nothing works I'll be out of ideas and make another post lol.

Man I love this forum!

·
Registered
811 Posts
These guys are great!!!!

I knew nothing about can ams or cv carbs a year ago.

Glad you tackled it hope it fixes it.

Short version

Longer version with narration

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Good news!
Went on a good 75 km ride today and i was to the bar on most of the straight aways but I was always 3/4 throttle or more. It ran great and didn't do the bog then die thing! yesterday I did notice that the fuel line going from the tank into the pump was kind of kinked because of the coolant line pushing on it, anyways I replace and re-routed the line so it wasn't kinked anymore. I also drilled holes in the fuel cap as it did hiss at me a bit after testing it and when I sucked on the inside of the cap it wouldn't open. Now looking at the cap it wasn't the smartest thing to do as I could've taken it apart! I opened it up and there was some junk in there so who knows, maybe that could have also contributed to it. One thing I do know is that I need a new fuel cap! Maybe Jerry rigging things isn't always the best idea, damn it!

After taking everything apart I noticed that the boot on the air filter has torn apart right under where my hose clamp sits and tightens on it, it has been fine as the clamp doesn't let any unwanted air in but I should eventually replace it. I also noticed that my valve cover is leaking oil and my thermostat housing is also leaking, going to buy a set of 2 (for a v-twin) so I can fix a leak if it ever happens for one cylinder on my defender. Noticed that the sensor for the flywheel was leaking a bit and it turns out the o-ring on that is shot. Another annoyance is that everything is so cluttered and unorganized! I have to pull the motor out sometime (to make it easy to work on) when the timing chain gets bad so I guess I'll do organization then, will also re-do all fuel lines before they go bad and it's not too pricy. Going to order the fuel filter, air filter, o-ring, valve cover, gasket, thermostat, and a new gas cap for it! Going to take a day to fix and install all that once I get it all, oh and a full fluid change so it's good to go for a while!

Don't know how I'm going to tune the air/fuel mixture thought, not much room to work or see how many turns Ive done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
change your spark plug. It may not be fouled and it may appear fine but if you have a weak spark plug it will do exactly as what you’re describing. I have a 2004 Honda rancher that was doing the same thing, new plug and it runs like brand new! For the $5 it’s going to cost you I would definitely try that first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here I am again with another problem...

When I first got this quad (2005 Outlander 400 XT) I went on a 80-90km ride across the county. On the way back I had to of been 3/4 to full throttle most of the time, when I got half way back to where I left the machine bogged and kept slowing g down until it stopped and stalled. Couldn't figure out why this happened so I tried to turn it back on and BAM, it started like nothing happened. I rode home and just blamed it on myself thinking I was too hard on it.

Today I went on a 80km ride, this bogging happened to me twice on the way to the location and once on the way back. When it first happened I thought it was over heating or the spark plug fouled as it was 3/4 to WOT most of the way so I checked the plug and it was fine then I checked the coolant and it was low so I waited for it to cool down and added water, Turned it on and rode off just like before. Then it happened again and again so I just waited each time. I stared to go easy on it on the way back and it didn't happen again so that's how I rode it the way home. The only difference between the first ride and this ride is that I had a 2 up on it with a 90lbs passenger so I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

When it bogs it seems as if it's getting too much fuel as it backfires like crazy until you let off the throttle and it dies. When you let it die you can immediately get it running again by using the choke but if you let off the choke it dies again until you give it time. So is it getting too much or not enough fuel. I know it runs slightly rich at idle but it wouldn't affect it that much would it? Is it building up un-burnt fuel in they cylinder until it dies, but that doesn't make sense because you can choke it to start it???

I have 3 theories:
1. The tank vent line is plugged and can't get enough air in the tank to displace the fuel.
2. The fuel pump is junk
3. It's running way to rich or lean at WOT

The easiest fix to this would be to get a bigger and newer quad but I can barely afford the little gas it uses lol.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Run a tank of gas with some seafoam through it. If might fix the carb issues without all the other work.
QUOTE="-TrailRunner0518-, post: 1202178, member: 112683"]

When I first got this quad (2005 Outlander 400 XT) I went on a 80-90km ride across the county. On the way back I had to of been 3/4 to full throttle most of the time, when I got half way back to where I left the machine bogged and kept slowing g down until it stopped and stalled. Couldn't figure out why this happened so I tried to turn it back on and BAM, it started like nothing happened. I rode home and just blamed it on myself thinking I was too hard on it.

Today I went on a 80km ride, this bogging happened to me twice on the way to the location and once on the way back. When it first happened I thought it was over heating or the spark plug fouled as it was 3/4 to WOT most of the way so I checked the plug and it was fine then I checked the coolant and it was low so I waited for it to cool down and added water, Turned it on and rode off just like before. Then it happened again and again so I just waited each time. I stared to go easy on it on the way back and it didn't happen again so that's how I rode it the way home. The only difference between the first ride and this ride is that I had a 2 up on it with a 90lbs passenger so I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

When it bogs it seems as if it's getting too much fuel as it backfires like crazy until you let off the throttle and it dies. When you let it die you can immediately get it running again by using the choke but if you let off the choke it dies again until you give it time. So is it getting too much or not enough fuel. I know it runs slightly rich at idle but it wouldn't affect it that much would it? Is it building up un-burnt fuel in they cylinder until it dies, but that doesn't make sense because you can choke it to start it???

I have 3 theories:
1. The tank vent line is plugged and can't get enough air in the tank to displace the fuel.
2. The fuel pump is junk

The easiest fix to this would be to get a bigger and newer quad but I can barely afford the little gas it uses lol.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
change your spark plug. It may not be fouled and it may appear fine but if you have a weak spark plug it will do exactly as what you’re describing. I have a 2004 Honda rancher that was doing the same thing, new plug and it runs like brand new! For the $5 it’s going to cost you I would definitely try that first.
Run a tank of gas with some seafoam through it. If might fix the carb issues without all the other work.

I have 3 theories:
2. The fuel pump is junk

[/QUOTE]

I put a new e3 plugs in it when I first got the Machine because why not and the crappy tire didn't have any good NGK plugs. I was running the E3 plug when I had the problem on the first trip. I ordered some NGK plugs and have been running them ever since so it couldn't have been the plugs, although I did gap them before my ride yesterday. I also always dump quite a bit of sea foam everytime I fill up so it was doing all it could have done, Seafoam is good stuff though!

Thankfully one of the things I did fixed it and hopefully it's permanent.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

I have 3 theories:
2. The fuel pump is junk

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
811 Posts
Good news!
Went on a good 75 km ride today and i was to the bar on most of the straight aways but I was always 3/4 throttle or more. It ran great and didn't do the bog then die thing! yesterday I did notice that the fuel line going from the tank into the pump was kind of kinked because of the coolant line pushing on it, anyways I replace and re-routed the line so it wasn't kinked anymore. I also drilled holes in the fuel cap as it did hiss at me a bit after testing it and when I sucked on the inside of the cap it wouldn't open. Now looking at the cap it wasn't the smartest thing to do as I could've taken it apart! I opened it up and there was some junk in there so who knows, maybe that could have also contributed to it. One thing I do know is that I need a new fuel cap! Maybe Jerry rigging things isn't always the best idea, damn it!

After taking everything apart I noticed that the boot on the air filter has torn apart right under where my hose clamp sits and tightens on it, it has been fine as the clamp doesn't let any unwanted air in but I should eventually replace it. I also noticed that my valve cover is leaking oil and my thermostat housing is also leaking, going to buy a set of 2 (for a v-twin) so I can fix a leak if it ever happens for one cylinder on my defender. Noticed that the sensor for the flywheel was leaking a bit and it turns out the o-ring on that is shot. Another annoyance is that everything is so cluttered and unorganized! I have to pull the motor out sometime (to make it easy to work on) when the timing chain gets bad so I guess I'll do organization then, will also re-do all fuel lines before they go bad and it's not too pricy. Going to order the fuel filter, air filter, o-ring, valve cover, gasket, thermostat, and a new gas cap for it! Going to take a day to fix and install all that once I get it all, oh and a full fluid change so it's good to go for a while!

Don't know how I'm going to tune the air/fuel mixture thought, not much room to work or see how many turns Ive done.
Glad to hear it.

I got one of these at a local auto parts store.

It helps.
A more permanent solution would be a right angle end, or an extended screw.

The saturday parts guy/carb guru said he was pretty sure he knew which one fit my carb but honestly, mines so close I quit messing with it and didnt follow through.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts