Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a thread with the solution to your Traxter MPEM (multi-purpose electronic module/ECU) issues:

This should apply to 2001-2005 Traxter XT500s, possibly more. I was having issues with my 2001 Traxter. When the battery was hooked up, it was flashing all of the dash lights. For whatever reason, DO NOT jump your Traxter’s battery off of a running vehicle or you’ll end up frying your MPEM like I did.
Long story short, a new computer would cost around $1000, if you could even find it these days.

There’s a gentleman named Burl located in Georgia who actually repairs these MPEMs. Instead of paying out the wazoo for a new one, you can mail him yours and he’ll repair it for $200 and mail it back. He was able to do it for me in a matter of days and I’m way out in Alaska. He can also send you new diodes and assist you in dissecting your MPEM and doing the repair yourself. Here’s his info, hope this helps. It sure helped me! She’s back up and running great.

Cell: (678) 613-4704
Home: (770) 251-4080

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here’s a thread with the solution to your Traxter MPEM (multi-purpose electronic module/ECU) issues:

This should apply to 2001-2005 Traxter XT500s, possibly more. I was having issues with my 2001 Traxter. When the battery was hooked up, it was flashing all of the dash lights. For whatever reason, DO NOT jump your Traxter’s battery off of a running vehicle or you’ll end up frying your MPEM like I did.
Long story short, a new computer would cost around $1000, if you could even find it these days.

There’s a gentleman named Burl located in Georgia who actually repairs these MPEMs. Instead of paying out the wazoo for a new one, you can mail him yours and he’ll repair it for $200 and mail it back. He was able to do it for me in a matter of days and I’m way out in Alaska. He can also send you new diodes and assist you in dissecting your MPEM and doing the repair yourself. Here’s his info, hope this helps. It sure helped me! She’s back up and running great.

Cell: (678) 613-4704
Home: (770) 251-4080
I might be looking this guy up! Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am still fixing them. If they are not burned by changing the 20 amp fuse to a larger fuse it is about 100% fixable.
If you have this problem DO NOT increase the fuse beyond 20 A and Do not jumper the fuse.
If the fuse on position 5 blows and nothing lights up I can fix it or I can help you fix it. Flat rate $200 with return postage.

Burl Finkelstein
1068 Witcher Rd
Newnan, GA 30263
770 251 4080
[email protected]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Burl can you put that information up top in the sticky for parts for these machines.

if possible put a test for the problem or something so people are not sending you parts that are good.
Thank you for helping the community.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To test for the MPEM failing:
1) It usually failed after Jumping with a running vehicle or a charging pack.
2) if the lights on the dash come on the MPEM is good, a bad MPEM means nothing works.
3) if you have intermittent problems the problem is the wiring harness. The wiring harness has two splices in it. They can be fixed if the wiring harness is removed and unwrapped. You can also test the red wire splice by using a jumper wire from the battery plus to fuse 5 from the top on the left side of the seat. If the system gets power you have a harness issue.
4) if the MPEM is bad,
fuse 5, the 20 amp fuse will blow in 90+% of the time.

If you have questions I can try to walk you thru telling a bad MPEM from other problems Call me
I have fixed about 60 MPEMs over the years

Burl

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have learned a lot more about the machines since I started working on the MPEMs 6 years ago. I have probably fixed 70 of them by now.
About 20% of the MPEMS I was getting were OK but he machines didn’t run. I usually now ask questions and have the people do testing before sending them to me.
I now know besides the MPEM being hurt by jumping, they are also prone to wiring harness issues. If they have a short but unplugging the MPEM doesn’t fix it there is a chafed wire some where possibly the carb heater.

If they have intermittent problems it is never the MPEM. The MPEM is a all or nothing failure.

There are two Y splices on the wiring harness that can cause issue. The big red wire has a splice that can fail if it has been left wet for a long time. You can test this by running a wire from the battery positive to use the fifth fuse down on the fuse block. If the system powers up the wiring harness needs to be removed, unwrapped and the splices cleaned and soldered. Loose cable connections and loose battery grounds also can be problems.

Burl
[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Burl
A while back, I purchased a used MPEM (part# 7100003150. The owner claimed it came from a machine with a seized motor. When I installed it, the dash lights aren't all on. The headlights require the key be in the lights off position, then I have to click the high beams button on the handle to turn the lights on. In addition to this, the auto-shift doesn't work and I have to manually shift gears.

Does this sound like an MPEM that needs to be rebuilt to you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Burl
A while back, I purchased a used MPEM (part# 7100003150. The owner claimed it came from a machine with a seized motor. When I installed it, the dash lights aren't all on. The headlights require the key be in the lights off position, then I have to click the high beams button on the handle to turn the lights on. In addition to this, the auto-shift doesn't work and I have to the manually shift gears.

If the engine runs at all. The MPEM is OK. It sounds like one or two things are the problem.
1) you have a wiring harness issue. Either a chafed wire or a open splice.
2) the MPEM you got is not from a autostart equipped model. It needs to be from a machine equipped the same as yours.

The wiring harness is a chore. Take I off the vechicle. Unwrap all the tape and inspect it. Check thentwo splices on the white wire and big red wire. If they need it take off the splices then solder them and seal them. Re tape the harness and reinstall.

Burl
@Burl
A while back, I purchased a used MPEM (part# 7100003150. The owner claimed it came from a machine with a seized motor. When I installed it, the dash lights aren't all on. The headlights require the key be in the lights off position, then I have to click the high beams button on the handle to turn the lights on. In addition to this, the auto-shift doesn't work and I have to manually shift gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[QUOTE="traxterATV, post: 1227876,

If the engine runs at all. The MPEM is OK. It sounds like one or two things are the problem.
2) the MPEM you got is not from a autostart equipped model. It needs to be from a machine equipped the same as yours.

The wiring harness is a chore. Take I off the vechicle. Unwrap all the tape and inspect it. Check thentwo splices on the white wire and big red wire. If they need it take off the splices then solder them and seal them. Re tape the harness and reinstall.

Burl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. So pleased I stumbled upon this web site ! I bought this 2001 Traxster on E-bay at the end of last year from a dealer near N.Y. Pics. made it look like a good, "buy" : wrong ! Nothing but problems ; I will do a separate post on that. Have ridden it for about an hour total, now won't start, the book says it's the, MPEM. So ; I'll make a jumper and see what code(s), I get and go from there. I have a feeling I will be contacting Burl soon. I thought I had bought an expensive," Yard ornament", I haven't tried the pull handle yet to see if the engine will run ; should I expect it to ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the MPEM is bad I would expect you have no spark so a quick check may be pulling the spark plug and attaching the plug cap back on the removed plug. Then lay the plug on the engine , electrode should be touching the metal of the engine somewhere. key on then hit the starter button looking for a spark from the spark plug, if you have spark it is unlikely the MPEM. If you do NOT have spark it still may not be the MPEM so go to the checklist to test the MPEM.

If you have spark then you have to start diagnosing what else may be preventing it from starting. If the motor will not turn over that is another problem and you will want to stop until we discuss how to diagnose the different issue. forcing a stuck motor can break parts internally. With the spark plug out and the machine in neutral the motor should turn over easily with the pull starter or battery.

It has been said before but I will say it again, do NOT try and jump start the machine from a running vehicle. The #1 cause of a blown MPEM seems to be jump starting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello. So pleased I stumbled upon this web site ! I bought this 2001 Traxster on E-bay at the end of last year from a dealer near N.Y. Pics. made it look like a good, "buy" : wrong ! Nothing but problems ; I will do a separate post on that. Have ridden it for about an hour total, now won't start, the book says it's the, MPEM. So ; I'll make a jumper and see what code(s), I get and go from there. I have a feeling I will be contacting Burl soon. I thought I had bought an expensive," Yard ornament", I haven't tried the pull handle yet to see if the engine will run ; should I expect it to ?
It may be a wiring harness failure if it ran intermittent before stopping.

Burl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Gang
[QUOTE="traxterATV, post: 1227876,

Burl
Hey Burl
I was hoping you could comment on my issue
2000 Traxter
I purchased the jumper to put the MPEM into diagnostic mode.
When I run the diagnostic, I get errors 4, 7, 8, and 9
I cant find a wiring diagram for a 2000 Traxter, but found the 2004 version.
Assuming they are similar, I do not see how the errors are related as the wiring is not common to those errors.
I have seen mention of an MPEM testing procedure but have not been able to find that either.
I would greatly appreciate any comments you, or anyone else, would have for my dilemma before I go tearing into the wiring harness.
As a note, I have all the skins off, as well as the gas tank. I pulled the MPEM connections and they look factory clean.
Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont know the diagnostic codes. If the MPEM works at all and is giving codes the MPEM is not the problem in my opinion. Off all the ones I have seen the MPEM was either dead of the problem was the wiring harness, a poor wire connection, a shorted wire, the shift position sensor or something else.

Whatever you do if it blows a fuse don't put in a larger one. If you burn the MPEM circut board it may not be repairable..

One of the wiring harness issues is that there are two Y splices with crimp connectors inside the harness. Occasionally they get corroded from being wet. If this happenes the problem is usually intermittent. It may run fine and them stall randomly. Fixing the harness is a chore and may take a day to do.
Take the harness off the vechicle and unwrap all the tape. Check each wire and connector before you unwrap to see if a conductor is broken inside the wire insulation or a part of the plastic sleve is chafed.
Take apart the clip connectors one is on the 10 gaufe red wire I think the other is a smaller white wire. Clean the wire and solder together.
Tape the connections and re- wrap the whole harness as it was. Reinstall and try.

Burl

I test the MPEM power conditioning components on the component level. Jumping is what causes the power conditioning diodes to fail. I replace and upgrade the failed ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are two simple test you can do
1)If it is blowing a fuse, unplug the two big plugs from the mpem. If the fuse dosent blow then the MPEM is the short and needs repair. If the fuse still blows the wiring harness has a short. Possibly the carb heater or shift position sensor.

2) if the fuse is not blowing and it dosent work.
Have good fuses and a good battery. Run a wire from the battery positive to fuse 5 the 20 amp fuse. If the dash lights when turned on the wiring harness has a bad splice on the big red wire. You need to find the splice and fix it.
Don't do this if the fuse is blowing as you may cause more damage.

Burl

1 - 20 of 28 Posts