Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy everyone, I have bought a brand new outlander 570 2021 and today was my first ride (80km).
But at aroud 60km it start doing noise when driving slow (less that 10km/h I would say) and even at idle (when in neutral or park, not in gear).
Haven't filmed it, maybe I should, this thing is pretty loud and the noise is a beat creepy (definitely not a normal noise, that's scary).
So the first problem is that the belt is turning a bit when I am idling in neutral, and I don't think it's normal (it's turning pretty slow cause it don't prevent me from shifting in gear so I suppose it don't get that much inertia). 2nd problem is it's making anormal noise.

I am in the ATV world for 2 years and I have always heard that can am CVT are noisy and it's a fact, but this noise is way different than usually.
I loved my little ride but wow, had more problem with this brand new atv than my 8000 km 450xc ...
Yes because in addition to this I have seen some engine cover clip are missing (and the one that are still here aren't holding anything, they are pretty loosed), CVT "air filter" is missing (don't tell me can am intentionally removed these on 2021 models...), already 2 puncture in 1 rear wheel (only doing easy trail riding, imagine when it will be rugged or fast riding), heated trigger not working (the handle are heating at least)..
Some are dealer related, but not everything... Nothing of that are preventing me from riding it and I will talk about everything to my dealer asap by calling him and we will see that at the first revision, exepting maybe the CVT noise... I hope it's a break in thing and it's not about to break... Hopefully I got the 3 year warranty with the promotion ahah !

And last question, is it true that the motor is someway "flanged" (never heard that word but it's coming from google translate !) while in the break in period ? I previosuly have tried an outlander 570 and I find mine is a bit less powerfull (yeah done few acceleration to try it, I am at 80km the belt should be breaked in now) :/

Btw sorry for my english, I am french and I am not very on point when it's about talking english.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I beleive the manual tells you proper break in period and km which is 300km, but i could be wrong for that machine. When i do a new belt break in i will never go above 4k rpm in low for 10 mins then in high for 10 mins and neutral for the same time allotted that way it gives the belt time to cool down and break in properly. Not sure on removal of the cvt air filter either maybe they did go that way this time. Just my 002

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am in the ATV world for 2 years and I have always heard that can am CVT are noisy and it's a fact, but this noise is way different than usually.
Mine is as quiet as can be. In fact the entire machine is like a sewing machine. I really babied it during the break-in. Only goosed the throttle briefly, and a few full speed runs near the end of the break-in.

You have the right idea. Get it to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
635 Posts
None of the 570s ever used cvt filter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX XT 650
125 Posts
None of the 570s ever used cvt filter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Same for the 650s. Can-Am only equips the 850s and the 1000s with the CVT filter.

I hope that during this first ride, you did not overstress the belt too much hence causing this. Like a previous member has said, the proper break-in of a new belt consists of 10 mins in Low and 10 mins in High (both without exceeding 4,000 RPM) and then letting the belt cool off for at least 30 mins.

In all cases, your ATV is under warranty so I'd let the dealership worry about all these issues. That's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your reply.
I am surprised that 570 and 650 doesn't come with CVT air filter cause I have seen in the manual it should be here (maybe these aspire only clean air in contrary to higher cylinder... logic ahah) but ty for the info.
About the break-in, my dealer told me that it's near useless on these machine (570) cause it's using piece from his big brother so they will never receive the high stress they are made for. And I have heard some story about riding friend who just floor it since day 1 and haven't had any problem.
But the manual say there is a break-in period so I still have done it. About the belt, I haven't riden over 50km/h for the first 50 km (maybe 60km/h for the last 10km) and with smooth acceleration, only flat trail so no climb or whatever.
Haven't done what you are talking about but never heard of anyone doing that so I doubt it's the problem.
This night, I have think about the one way bearing. In neutral, it is normal that the belt is turning ? I don't really know how it work I have read somewhere it could be a cause.
Beside that, the clutching is engaging at the right rpm so it seem fine, everything work fine, ultimately, my only problem is just about low rpm noise, so I don't know what to think about it.
And about the noise, nice for you then (lucky !), but honestly on mine except that noise at low rpm 60% of the overall noise are due to the extremely loud stock tire on asphalt, everytime we are back on the trail is way better. Is there a way to quiet it down ? More air pressure, less air pressure ?

Conclusion : if it's really a belt problem, I am rekt (but 80km/h in 3h of engine time, don't tell me I have ruined it, can't go slower :( ) because tell if I am wrong, but belt aren't under warranty (and be sure I will babied the next one for the break in like you said ahah), if it's a clutch issue it's fine and it will go for warranty and the CVT air filter shouldn't be here so it's normal.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My 570 was loud as hell, I hated it. Gates belt helped a lot, but still was loud. Like above stated there is no cvt filter on the 570. No you ain't gonna quiet down atv tires on blacktop they are made for off road. As far as belt break in goes you'll get 100 different answers, in all my years of atving and snowmobiling I've done "proper" belt break and I've put belts on and hammered down and I've never blown a belt except for mountain riding my sled. Drop a ll the fluids at 20hrs and your good, you won't notice any difference in performance during the supposed Breakin time. Between 7 outlander in our group from 450s to 850 none of them ever felt any different power wise from 1st hour to present. Unfortunately can am cvts are just noisy as hell.

·
Registered
669 Posts
id ride it until your first service and let the dealer have a good look at it... Some of the factory tires on the smaller ones are junk at best and most people swap em out pretty quick..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have done few kilometers today, I am at 180 now and it still doing the same noise at very low rpm, but I would say it doesn't affect me anymore.
The biggest problem is that belt rotating in neutral (and park), everytime I shift it do a little "jerk", I don't know if it's normal. If your is doing that too then idc, but if it's not supposed to do that the dealer will hear about it.
I am surprised the performance will not ameliorate as you say but it's not a big deal, I just found past 90km/h it just has really nothing to give, while at 80 you press throttle and it go with plenty of power, so I was feeling like it's very restricted passed a certain rpm. For my next ride I would do an acceleration test and compare it with another one at like 400 km and I will see.

The tire are definitely not good at anything. We drove a bit more aggressive today and on grass and even on asphalt it's just like having pvc tube as tire, they lose traction at every corner. I will try to lower a bit the rear tire pressure (front don't slide, and they look pretty flattened at 48kpa so I don't want to lower them anymore) and I am sure it will be 10x better.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,241 Posts
Welcome aboard! Bonjour! (that single word just about consists of all of the French classes I recall from my HS days) :LOL:

Factory tires are garbage, don't read too much into anything else the bike does, until you've replaced 'em

I'm curious as if to somehow you may just have a bad one-way bearing, even tho it's new, maybe it's just got an issue. Wouldn't be the first time.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bonjour is at least a good beginning, I understand you I don't remember anything about my german classes ahah

About the belt rotating, I hope it will be fixed at the garage because it feel very unatural, If I continue shifting like this, I will ruin my gearbox.

Otherwise I didn't really meant to repost something that soon, because my situation didn't change , but by reading again all my post it look like I just keep complaning about that quad (complaining, french thing :p) but honestly I am in love apart these few problem that can randomly arrive to everyone.
Time for compliment !

Pretty good power from 0 to 90 (like I said before, after 90 km/h it really struggle to go higher (I made a run to 99 and he was still accelerating slowly but was the end of the straight line) , let's suppose it's a break in thing and motor element can't really move freely so high rpm = high friction)

The DPS is a pleasure hooo it's so good when you are standing in small forest trail "zigzaging" between tree (my XC450 was really a pain for that, this quad was harder to turn than my father's Sportsman 850 without DPS !), the quad feel like 30 kg and you really can guide it wherever you want without any effort

Good steering angle (nobody talk about that but I found it pretty good, for exemple the SP 850 really struggle when it's on a hill or whatever, the quad just wont turn and you need to try and try again while the outlander always have grip to front tire and they don't slide when you turn them, the rear wheel don't have "too much" grip it's nicely balanced if you see what I mean)

The confort is good, don't equal the SP 850 but very close overall, the only difference is the godlike seat of the SP 850 I suppose, night and day next to my XC 450 who was just a go kart.

Tried 2 time the ABS on gravel downhill in a turn, it brake and you still be able to turn so it's working and it's a good addition, engine braking is good, not brutal like the SP 850 and well balanced on down hill (rear wheel don't lock up but still brake, I wonder if the 570 is equiped with the DTC?), love the brake, pretty much agressive, it brake really easier than my 450XC while heavier and the foot pedal is thinked nicely, you really need to put pressure on it to brake, otherwise it just allows you to sit in a hill for exemple, unlike my XC 450 where just a little foot rest and you make a front flip (joking the pedal only touch rear wheel, but you got the image)!

The iTC is another good addition, I was thinking I would drive in sport all the time (yeah I am usually pretty heavy on the gas) but after trying a few time, the normal mode is very cool, at low speed (10-30km/h) it's way more controllable because the low end is fairly strong and not very chill friendly in sport (and I love that btw hehe) and the low gear is not brutal if you don't tell it to be brutal. Power still here when you wide open so perfect !

Ergonomy is good, this 4,5" screen is really nice (and it's a pretty good surprise cause my dealer told me they would be only available on 570 pro and max in france (and that's what the can am website was saying too), but surprise, it's on standard 570 too !)
And I think it's enough no ?

I will probably do a video (in french obviously, you seen my english and seriously, I think no one reviewed it in french exept specialized ATV channel but their opinion are based only on 1/2 day of use, not months of owning) in the next few week/month and say what I am thinking about this quad (yes it's called a "review"..) after a bit more use to help people decide.
I already told the thing I don't like in my previous answer so, aurevoir ! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts