Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had rust checked the frame of my bike new 2020 570 Outlander 1mth before I took it out for the 1st time about 2 hrs into my 1st run the brakes on my bike failed going down a very steep hill and I ended up crashing in the woods now my dealer stating that there is nothing wrong with the brakes they are blaming it on the rust proofing that was done I know it was not the rust proofing as the brakes were working fine all day on the straight aways of my run and until the very 1st time they were placed under stress going down hill. Has anyone had issue with this and also the dealer is stating there is only 2 brakes on the bike but BRP website states there are 2 in front and 1 in back so I am not sure

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would say the rust proofing dripped and ran out of the frame onto the brakes. With the engine braking on these things i barley ever use the brakes even on a steep hill possible you were relying more on the engine breaking all day and not the actual brakes.. Time to hit up your insurance company

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok first off, and not 2 b a dck either, but why would you rust proof a new machine? and what exactly did you use for rust proofing? And why would you do this in the first place, do you live near a salt pile. Also did you not check your system over prior to departing or while starting out. Many of us on this forum have had numerous machines over the years new/old and while alot of us still have both i have never in many many years of riding and ownership have ever heard of someone rust proofing their machine with some form of spray from a can.🤔 Luckily you were not seriously hurt in that fiasco, and only the machine will require some TLC, :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is fishy...it’s highly unlikely the brakes failed. And like other have said, the engine braking is so strong, you barely need the brakes unless you’re driving way to fast down said hill. This has “user error” written all over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is fishy...it’s highly unlikely the brakes failed. And like other have said, the engine braking is so strong, you barely need the brakes unless you’re driving way to fast down said hill. This has “user error” written all over it.
This is not user error we weren't even going 5km we had completely stopped at the top of the hill before even starting the dissent down the brakes seemed like they started to grab then completely let go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok first off, and not 2 b a dck either, but why would you rust proof a new machine? and what exactly did you use for rust proofing? And why would you do this in the first place, do you live near a salt pile. Also did you not check your system over prior to departing or while starting out. Many of us on this forum have had numerous machines over the years new/old and while alot of us still have both i have never in many many years of riding and ownership have ever heard of someone rust proofing their machine with some form of spray from a can.🤔 Luckily you were not seriously hurt in that fiasco, and only the machine will require some TLC, :)
We rust proofed the frame as we plan to use the bike to plow with in the winter so we want to keep this bike for a long time so we don't want a rusty frame we dont just plan on using it during the summer so yes it will eventually com in contact with salt. """""YES """"""""we tested the machine before putting it on our trailer and again prior to starting the run. We used the engine compression mostly on the flats we didn't even get above 20km hr as we were just braking in the motor went we used the brakes they seemed to be working but this was the steepest hill we had come across and """THE BRAKES FAILED""""

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We rust proofed"""USING RUST CHECK""""which is a very well known product that has been used on frames of vehicles for over 20yrs the frame """""we plan to use the bike to plow with in the winter so we want to keep this bike for a long time so we don't want a rusty frame we dont just plan on using it during the summer so yes it will eventually com in contact with salt. """""YES """"""""we tested the machine before putting it on our trailer and again prior to starting the run. We used the engine compression mostly on the flats we didn't even get above 20km hr as we were just braking in the motor went we used the brakes they seemed to be working but this was the steepest hill we had come across and """THE BRAKES FAILED""""

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say the rust proofing dripped and ran out of the frame onto the brakes. With the engine braking on these things i barley ever use the brakes even on a steep hill possible you were relying more on the engine breaking all day and not the actual brakes.. Time to hit up your insurance company
The rust proofing was not on the brakes as we made sure by testing the brakes I did use the brakes multi times previously prior of the brake fail as the was not the 1st hill we encountered it was just the steepest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brakes are a pretty simple system. What failed? Did you check the fluid reservoir? Did you find a leak? That’s about the only thing that can cause hydraulic brakes to fail.

·
Registered
669 Posts
something is not adding up... At 5km the engine brake would have easily slowed you down and kept you at a constant speed... I ride some really steep hills and 95% of the time i just rely on the engine brake i rarely use the hand brake... Almost sounds like you were not familiar enough with the machine and how to keep the engine brake engaged and the machine may have gotten away from you and by the time you tried to correct with the hand brakes you were going to fast for the tires to grab and they just locked up and slipped until a tree brought you to a stop... At least your ok and walked away from it machines can be fixed but we take a little longer...
I would be very surprised if the brakes failed 100% would also be interested in knowing what failed...

·
Registered
15 Posts
That’s what I said...this sounds like user error. I’m sorry it happened, but it just simply doesn’t make sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts