Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a brand new 2021 Outlander, and was really excited. That wore off quickly. I took for ONE ride, one. 80 miles. Parked for a couple months while away at work and when I returned I couldn’t even move it from its spot. Could hear the clutch sounding strange, tore open the box and the main bolt for the clutch fell out in two pieces. I keep wanting answers about WHY the bolt sheared, but all I keep getting told is my bolt broke. Really…how astute. It’s still under warranty but it’s been a month and I’m still waiting on my machine back. I’m so disillusioned by BRP after years of wanting one. It’s pretty sad that my POS Arctic Cat and crappy knock off Bass Pro machine lasted longer than my top of line rig

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,080 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened to you, at least it is under warranty. Hopefully they won't have it too long. Good luck.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,698 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
941 Posts
the main bolt for the clutch fell out in two pieces
Very unusual for both pieces to fall out. Assuming it is the primary bolt that sheared, I'd think that one piece would have stayed in the end of the crankshaft. On my 450 this bolt has left hand threads so it tends to self tighten.

Stay positive if at all possible. My 2021 conked out during my first mile of riding. I was livid. I started shopping for a Suzuki. But the BRP dealer fixed it very well and it has been very reliable ever since. It is pure joy riding my Can-Am and I believe that eventually yours will prove itself too.

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Renegade 570
200 Posts
Was it the primary or the secondary? I have heard of people having the secondary bolt break off after letting their machine sit for an extended period of time. What I don’t get is why they have had it so long. Hopefully they will have it back up and running soon!

·
Registered
2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with mod's
195 Posts
Secondary bolt has been problem for some unit 2021.. Fix for it is:
Three pieces bolt from 1000 engine.. It was warranty/campaign thing... One case was only drived 50km and bolt snap broke and secondary sheave actually came thru drive cover...

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850xt
12 Posts
MINE BROKE TOO - i have a thread on this in the outlander page. It broke for no good reason, I suspect that i backed out on its own, then broke because it was loose.

its an easy fix and a $12 part, i also had to buy a new spring.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
You're lucky if the bolt broke in your garage. I had a solid hex headed bolt break on my secondary clutch. For no good reason. I was 10 miles from my truck, in the winter with tracks on. Called a friend to come & get me & tow me back to my truck.
Didn't want to cut the belt because it was only a week old ... and they aren't cheap, right. So my friend towed me back, but had the bike running so my PS worked, not thinking that without the bolt holding the clutch on, it would loosen up ... which it did.
That screwed up the gogs (big splines) on the STM secondary clutch AND the tranny output shaft. I opted to change out the tranny from 2021 6X6 into my machine & get the new model STM clutch ... but even if I had rebuilt everything, it would of cost me more than a new belt.
So, if that ever happens again ... I'm cutting the belt!! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

And now, every winter, I'm changing out the bolt, because like GunsmithGuy wrote ... it's only $12 and an easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,671 Posts
Be sure to check from this post onwards for a "fix"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts