Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outlander XT 570
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 Outlander XT 570 is about 9 months old and only has about 70 miles on it. I backed it up into the garage after the last snowstorm in February and it's sat there until today when I went to drive it. Started right up, but I wasn't able to get it to shift into any gears. I turned it off and it shifted fine, so I put it into 2H and started it back up. The throttle did nothing (acted as if it was in neutral), but at idle the quad was slowly creeping forward.

I went to take the CVT cover off for the first time (side note, why is the left hand side of this quad so much harder to disassemble than the right? :p ), and it immediately sprung off as soon as I removed the last bolt. Not good...the bolt on the secondary clutch apparently snapped on it's own. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? What would cause something like this? I've never gotten any water in there, and everything looks really clean.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Only one other broken secondary bolt I can think of but it had been used multiple times.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
523 Posts
This is very weird. I have 6600 miles on my atv and never had a problem with the secondary bolt. I'm willing to bet it wasn't tightened to spec from the factory.

In all cases, since these are stretch bolts, I ended ordering the HD resuable bolts from canampartsguy. Didn't install them yet but will do for the peace of mind. Will also add blue locktite.

That's what I recommend you do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outlander XT 570
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is very weird. I have 6600 miles on my atv and never had a problem with the secondary bolt. I'm willing to bet it wasn't tightened to spec from the factory.

In all cases, since these are stretch bolts, I ended ordering the HD resuable bolts from canampartsguy. Didn't install them yet but will do for the peace of mind. Will also add blue locktite.

That's what I recommend you do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks - what are the downsides of using a non-stretch bolt here?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've snapped one by using an impact to force it on when my helix wasn't lined up properly haha. Mine snapped inside the shaft though and I had to pull the entire gearbox out to swap out that part as I couldn't reach it with an easy/out or anything! You could just grab a canampartsguy bolt set (stronger than stock) and not worry about it happening again. Otherwise stock is fine. It was most likely torqued incorrectly from factory or the bolt was faulty. Not worth sending for warranty imho but you might want to notify your dealer just incase it causes other problems further down the line.

·
Registered
2020 Outlander XT 570
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It seems like the consensus is to grab a set of regular bolts from canampartsguy - I wasn't sure if the bolts needed to stretch. @Bonzo - looks like the bolt kit comes with torque specs so no intuition needed ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts