Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Burnt rubber smell coming from the belt.

12826 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jackash
Hey gang,

Went out for a winter run today with my Can-Am 800 Outlander with Apache Tracks. About 30 minutes in, I noticed a burnt smell coming from the belt drive air intake and the cover was quite hot. I've never burned the belt and haven't changed it in a couple of years. Could the extra power required for the Apache Tracks cause the belt to heat up or is my belt probably done?
Hey gang,

Went out for a winter run today with my Can-Am 800 Outlander with Apache Tracks. About 30 minutes in, I noticed a burnt smell coming from the belt drive air intake and the cover was quite hot. I've never burned the belt and haven't changed it in a couple of years. Could the extra power required for the Apache Tracks cause the belt to heat up or is my belt probably done?
See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
If you're running the stock belt under heavy load and haven't changed it in years, and it smells burnt, you should probably upgrade to a new hd belt. When you pull open the cover you can check and see if its glazed.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was running in high gear most of the time on a semi groomed trail.

· Registered
423 Posts
best to just open the cvt box and have a look for glazing on the belt, it's condition and measure it at the cords. Replace if necessary.

Then if you are comfortable with working on the bike, give the clutches and oneway a service too.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That doesn't make sense that you would only be able to run in low gear. It does makes sense when you are running through deep stuff but not on the trails. That basically means you can't do any trail riding as I would only be able to get about 20 Mph at nearly full throttle. With the tracks on, the gear ratio changes to make it easier for the bike to turn them so I can't see running in high being the problem. Also, as a note, I never had this issue last time I used my tracks (2 winters ago with new belt) and ran it on the trails/powder. Therefore, must be the belt, at least i hope.

Pulling the belt off tonight and going to check it out.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated and I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@michalip
What service do I need to do to the one way and clutches? Just wondering if its something I can do. I have the service manual so I can always take a look in there.

· Registered
292 Posts
lesson #1 on my first track ride with atvtracks.net: run in low gear or you'll smoke the belt. we were running 46 mph in low gear. no issues. one of the guys had just put a new belt on his 800 because while it was being used as a demo ride for testing, the guy riding it was running in high gear and blew the belt. i can't explain it. just speaking from the experience i do have......run in low gear.

· Vendor
1,336 Posts
I see the same problem with the Wildcat side by sides with larger tires on it.

Reason is the secondary doesnt backshift and if you keep it on the throtte it overheats the belt and clutches. Steeper helix OR stiffer secondary spring will help this drastically, but having a secondary like the STM will be the most effective as it can backshift instead of just lugging the belt down in high gear.

John

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now is the 46 mph the speedometer reading because its about 30% less when you have the tracks on due to the gear ratio difference.

I plan to run it in Low a lot more often now. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.