Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this and I have been watching and reading these forums for about 2 months. I have boiled down the machine that I am going to buy and need a little advice on what extra's that I will be needing..
This machine will be used mostly for working in the woods, in and out of my ravines. The terrain is rough and quite a few hills.
Should I upgrade to the Maxxi tires? Do I need to upgrade the winch?
I will be putting the skid plates and arm plates on it.
I need good lighting and I also need to attach a strong spotlight with a red filter for the coyotes (overrun with the varmints).
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!
Thank You,
Craig

·
Registered
793 Posts
Welcome aboard! I don't know anything about the new Polaris, but i am sure someone will come along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You, I believe that if you have a question about something -- ask people who live and breath their toys. Although mine is going to be more of a working machine than a play ATV.
I sincerely hope it will hold up to what I'm going to put it through!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's this looks like a great websight to compare, and the lights that you have suggested would work great. I can do up a spotlight with any type of bracket.
Craig

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
the stock tires are junk on the 850XP, go with the maxxis bighorn unless you are in deep mud all the time. i am putting on my warn RT30 this weekend. i think a 3000 pound winch is about right for it. if you go with the stock wheels then you will need spacers or mod the sway bar for most tires. my bighorns will be at my house today,ups.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am new to this and I have been watching and reading these forums for about 2 months. I have boiled down the machine that I am going to buy and need a little advice on what extra's that I will be needing..
This machine will be used mostly for working in the woods, in and out of my ravines. The terrain is rough and quite a few hills.
Should I upgrade to the Maxxi tires? Do I need to upgrade the winch?
I will be putting the skid plates and arm plates on it.
I need good lighting and I also need to attach a strong spotlight with a red filter for the coyotes (overrun with the varmints).
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!
Thank You,
Craig
Definitely upgrade the tires!! And another vote for big horns..they climb very well..
As mentioned if you want to run a true 11" tire on the rear you will either need to bend the swaybar a little,run spacers or aftermarket wheels
Here is a thread about modding the swaybar,simple to do and doesn't hurt a thing..no change in handling at all..
Swaybar mod to fit 11's on the rear of an XP - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Which winch are you getting? A 3000# or larger will work fine. I have the 3500# Polaris winch and it will pul the XP out of pretty much anything you can think of...

I have an HID light kit on mine that converts all 3 lights to HID and the difference is amazing over stock. As for the spotlight,I carry one but I just bungy it to the rack and pop it out when I need it lol..so I can't help with any first hand info on a mount.

Reactions: CALBoxing

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
there is a rebate on warn winches till the end of the month. the form is on warns web page. $50 and $70 on the xt40.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank's alot for all of you guys trying to help me,
I new this was the place to come and ask questions. As I staded before, I have been watching these boards for a couple of months / and you are the ones (who post alot) who put me over the top on a Polaris.
I've already figured out that the tires are worthless and will be upgrading, and as far as a spotlight - I will be needing one that has a home - so I can get my gun and flip a switch.
The coyotes have taken all of the game from my property - no rabbits or any other small game, every year when the fawns are born I can sit and watch the deer population get decimated,, and don't even get me started on the Mountain Lions.
Thanks again for all of the Help!!
Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used these mounts for years on my atv for GPS, and on my boat for fish-depth finder and they have always worked and held up excellent. RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. They are sold at a couple of local retailers here in my town so I have never ordered online, but I am pretty sure you can find what you need from them to get your spotlight squared away.:aniwheeler6:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank's Kev,
That's one more thing taken care of..
This is like buying a boat - you get a boat, but $5000 later you actually have what you want :)
Craig

·
Registered
43 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts