Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at a Can-Am dealer (not the actual dealer that I purchased our two Outlanders from; one 2017 450 and one 2018 450) I was told that Can-am does a factory break in on the motors. They fill it with fluids, run it for some length of time, change the oil and sent it out to the dealers.
Can anyone else confirms this? Any truth to that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Regardless what Can Am does I would do your own break in. Vary the RPM a lot "do not run at a steady speed" hammer the throttle jack rabbit style on throttle off throttle. If you think your abusing it hammer it harder sounds backwards but will seat your rings properly. Have fun on your new ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does that method apply to all Can Am models? I have a 2019 xrs. No owner's manual so I don't know what to reference for a proper break in. For as much as these machines cost I really dont want to fuck up the engine. Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I was at a Can-Am dealer (not the actual dealer that I purchased our two Outlanders from; one 2017 450 and one 2018 450) I was told that Can-am does a factory break in on the motors. They fill it with fluids, run it for some length of time, change the oil and sent it out to the dealers.
Can anyone else confirms this? Any truth to that?

Thanks!
When I bought my defender max hd10 xt I watched many videos on the 2016s and they all claimed that the motors were already broken in for you. Once I got my 2018 I was told that I needed to break in the motor, no big deal. The manual just states not to hold a certain speed and to change it often. I can’t remember what it exactly said but it also pretty much said that some abuse of the throttle can contribute to a good break in, but don’t take that as an excuse to beat on your bike. Also can’t remember how long the break in was, I think 500kms or 10hours on the motor and 500kms on the belt but not sure, it may be different for your bike.

I am pretty sure that rotax takes a random motor out of a batch and torture tests it for 24 hours to see how it holds up, if the computers say that it isn’t performing to standards or really anything wrong with it they disassemble the motor and take it through the assembly process again. pretty good quality control. I know that they test the plane motors even harder and longer, I think they do them for 48 hours and they invert them, spin them and everything.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh, and all can am owners manuals are on there website. But don’t look for shop manuals there, you’ll have to go to the deepest parts of the internet to find those as can-am customer support told me that they don’t support DIY repairs and that I’d need to take it to the dealership for any help or to get it fixed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a 2019 570 and the manual said 10 hours or 100 miles for an oil change but my dealer said 300 miles. At 300 miles MAINTENANCE came up on the display so I guess the 300 was the ticket. As far as breaking it in, like everyone above says, don't just pin it for 30 miles or anything, cycle the throttle around for a while. I have enough land that I can cruise around for a while then hammer on it a little then ease off of it. I got to the 10 hour mark and then took it trail riding, put on 100 miles that day and the thing gave me no issues. Got it serviced at the dealership at 300 and everything was tip top according to them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ride it like you stole it then change all of the fluids after 100 miles or so. Break-in complete.

HD
So the people that actually design, build, sell and warranty the engines are actually wrong? Wow. Good thing you chimed in and saved this poor guy from blowing it up. LOL

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its very simple people just vary your throttle and dont hold it pinned for longer than 5 seconds! done

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I still find it hard to believe that an engine with iron cylinder walls can be effectively broken in while using synthetic motor oil .
But , what do I know ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
So the people that actually design, build, sell and warranty the engines are actually wrong? Wow. Good thing you chimed in and saved this poor guy from blowing it up. LOL
Ever seen an engine blown up from not "breaking in" properly? Didn't think so...

If they were that delicate they would be in the shop being constantly rebuilt or replaced.

Engine break-in is a myth. There, I said it.

Run it, change fluids regularly.

HD

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
It's sort of controversial, but I'm with the crowd that said ride it like you stole it. The theory is that you need to work the engine hard to properly seat the rings. If you don't, you may end up with a slower ride. Me, I beat the living crap out of it for a couple hundred miles then change the oil. Everyone I know does the same thing. Our engines last forever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts