Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all , i have owned in the past an outlander 400 , 650 , and now 800RLtd Max. I love my atv's and i have stick to can am due to reliability and performance .. but what i hate on the can'ams and really dont see why they are not fixing is :

1: lousy cvt intake/out positioning ... why dont they move those pipes higher ? anyone owning any of the above models will sooner or later find out that water gets inside the cvt compartment even if you splash the atv fast inough into a river with water just below the foot pegs.
Solution : i install a stealth snorkel and this is fixed forever , why doesnt can am do that for us ?

2: Stock tires : Those Carlise are a joke ,, you nust be kidding me right ,, they hardly last over 3000 klm ... and their so baaad performers .... i imediately took them off and gave them for 50 euros .. Look at Polaris ... installing Maxis on the UTV's from stock ... i mean is that enything that can compete those Maxxis bighorns ? Mine are now on for 9400 klm and still going ,, not to mention the reliability and performance .... i still remember having to tow my atv 100klm away from civilasation just because my Carlise act touched a sharp stone on the side....
Solution : If your are a rock crawler , trail rider get a set of Maxxis ... the rest of the tire companies will hate you for not making any more money out of tires ....

Otherwise .. to be honest i wouldnt trade my can am for anything else in the world....
ps. just hope that the power steering will be retro fit on the 2009's ....

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
The stock ACT are great compared to what most other bikes come stock with. I have almost 5,000km on my original tires and I'm sure I couldget another 2,000km out of them..but they wouldn't be much good in the mud.

·
Lifetime Member / Experienced Builder
6,533 Posts
1) there are very few bikes that have decent CVT intakes/exhaust locations. they aren't going to run a snorkel up to the pod, and running it up higher in the rear won't do a whole lot of good since if you get in the deeper stuff, a water wheelie gets you through, but the exhaust would be underwater. i've heard of some just staying on the throttle and not having a problem with it.

2) really? why would they pay more for tires, which will ultimately cost you and i more, when whatever tires they put on it will most likely get replaced with tires that fit the individual customer's needs? did i think i'd get outlaws when i bought my bike? nope, but i knew the stock ones wouldn't last long on it. with such a varying range of riding conditions, let the customer choose what fits them best.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I think the 2010's do come with a factory CVT snorkle up under the pod...

All OEM's look for the cheapest (and in an ATV's case...lightest) tire they can, they buy these things by the railcar load...I have seen an entire train of nothing but cheap Firestone's going into a Ford truck plant before. It's all about the money.

In our case, most serious riders will swap the stockers out in the first few weeks anyway.

·
Registered
561 Posts
WHAT!! THOSE CARLISLE's ARE BETTER THAN MY SILVERBACKS!! I use those carlisles for pit racing all the time!! ROFL!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Pretty sure the CVT intake snork is still the same, they still got the plastic BOX in the left front wheel well. Never had a wheeler where the stock tires were worth a crap, seems like that on a lot of brands.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree with what is said above but I also want to add something...

why is it some quads make noises and others dont....

For example my 07 when I press the throttle to take off its normal no noise....but then when I press the throttle on my 08 to take off I hear a clunk noise...I know lots of people have this...cause there is a number or outtys out here that do the same thing...then you talk to the dealer and they say...its normal...some do it and some dont...

well Im sorry it should be either they all do it or they all should not do it...

GET THIS STUFF FIXED....

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Maybe the 07 is the bad one. Heh heh heh. Had a brand new(2010) for a little putt the other day(around dealer parking lot) started it, sounded same noises as my 09. Engagement was lower than mine( no Dalton) but clunked. I figure it's a combination of clutch, ring and pinion, anywhere there is a little play it gets taken up on engagement. I've had 3 different bike brands and find these bikes the most "mechanical sounding" of anything I've had, but also the best performance hands down. Must be a reason for all the noises.

·
Registered
388 Posts
HATE: Well I don't hate it, but it is annoying. My '07 doesn't clunk, but it does have a high pitch whining noise and you can really hear it at low speeds.

LOVE: EVERY THING ELSE, even the visco lock. Around her its not that big of an deal in the mud. Having never had a locker in a bike, this was a great improvement for me. Ive learned to deal w/it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
if ya getting water splashed into your cvt intake, just slow down alittle hitting the puddles or steer to the left of them,to keep intake out of the water, i've never had a problem getting water splashed in my cvt-intake, choose a better line. or snorkel it, best insurance for your quad if your hittin the mud and water, i run east coast snorkels on my 07 800 xt, don't even think about puddles.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stock ACT are great compared to what most other bikes come stock with. I have almost 5,000km on my original tires and I'm sure I couldget another 2,000km out of them..but they wouldn't be much good in the mud.

what 5,000 on ACT's ???? are you running them on snow all time ??? I have never seen any of them being in the safe zone after 3500klm ..
Not to mention that their sites are more like Mcdonald's baloons....

If you are a trail/rock crawler get a set of Maxis BigHorns and you will remember me for long time 9.500 klm and still in the safe zone...

Sh$%t i started to sound like a sales man....

Manos / Limassol Cyprus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts