Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to this forum and was wondering if you guys could help me with my problems. I have a 2006 Can Am outlander 650 that i just bought and it has an overheat problem. It overheats after about 30 minutes of riding it, also on initial startup it idles rough drops down to 1000rpn then jumps up to 1500rpm back and forth, after about a minute its fine runs around 1250rpm. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you checked your oil?

I had a 650 Trail Buck (based on a Can Am trackster) and had an overheating issue. Long story short, cracked head. Your oil will be a milky mess.

·
Registered
933 Posts
>>>Long story short, cracked head.

Ouch....let's hope it isn't that.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Start with the simple things first. First Check the rad to see if its clean. Best way is pull the plastics. Look close at the fins on the rad to see if they are straight. If they are bent then you have a swollen rad. Check your t stat to see if it may be stuck. There was a updated rad cap and over flow cap to help prevent over pressure. If you over heated most likely you also have air in the top of the cylinder heads that need to be bleed. Air will steam in the heads giving you a overheat code or limp mode. If everything else is good the pump may be bad. There is a weep hole in the front of the motor that will leak when the seal is going bad. Its in front of the oil filter housing

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When i bought it, it had clean oil and yes the radiator is swollen and has bent fins. But it doesn't blow any smoke so i dont think the heads are cracked or cylinders are scorred. I took it to the shop yesterday and waiting for them to look into it more.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Couldn't tell you would depend on how bad you overheated

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the high temp light comes on he shut it off right away and let cool down. The overheat problem is probably the radiator but what about rough idle? could it be the throttle body motor stuck?

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Mass air flow sensor dirty tb could be a lot of things. Start with the simple things and work through them I would also do a compression test

1 - 8 of 8 Posts