Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new outlander experienced a devastating clutch failure 6 days after the 6 month warranty expired. It only got light use on the farm and was on its second tank of gas. The shop things a bolt was over torqued at the factory. Is this something anyone else has experienced? Related to anything I might have done? Repair is $1300!! Scared to use it. Thinking of selling it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Dealer should push for warranty. Not only is it only 6 days out of warranty but also no matter how hard you are on the machine that secondary bolt should not break.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealer should push for warranty. Not only is it only 6 days out of warranty but also no matter how hard you are on the machine that secondary bolt should not break.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Yeah that’s what I thought. Can am offered $400 “good will” leaving me on the hook for $900. I complained to dealership owner who got me another $200 but I’m still out $700 plus and left with a machine I have no faith in. Never owned a can am before. Are they legit? I’m scared to ask it to do anything if it’s going to self destruct spraying thistles on the farm. I see ads with people using them hard but …

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,904 Posts
Yeah that’s what I thought. Can am offered $400 “good will” leaving me on the hook for $900. I complained to dealership owner who got me another $200 but I’m still out $700 plus and left with a machine I have no faith in. Never owned a can am before. Are they legit? I’m scared to ask it to do anything if it’s going to self destruct spraying thistles on the farm. I see ads with people using them hard but …
The machines are definitely legit and these problems never occurred from the factory until quality control took a hit during the COVID-19 manufacturing period. We've heard and seen, here and on Facebook, of this problem occurring often enough with 2021-2022 machines coming from the factory. The secondary bolt backs out or breaks and damage ensues. I would keep escalating until they fully cover the cost of the repair. Search on Facebook for "outlander" groups and you'll find enough posts on this problem.

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,165 Posts
When BRP and the dealer balk at standing behind their product it does destroy your confidence in the machine. I had a similar experience while on the short warranty period but my Outlander has performed flawlessly ever since. However I will still not ride very far without having a riding buddy just in case.

My Can-Am is a toy for me. If I needed a reliable machine for working a farm and rode alone most of the time I would get a Honda.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
The machines are definitely legit and these problems never occurred from the factory until quality control took a hit during the COVID-19 manufacturing period. We've heard and seen, here and on Facebook, of this problem occurring often enough with 2021-2022 machines coming from the factory. The secondary bolt backs out or breaks and damage ensues. I would keep escalating until they fully cover the cost of the repair. Search on Facebook for "outlander" groups and you'll find enough posts on this problem.
FYI, the secondary bolts have been an issue even as far back as the OG mavericks.

Can't believe BRP is still balking at standing behind these failures :mad::mad:

·
Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
576 Posts
FYI, the secondary bolts have been an issue even as far back as the OG mavericks.

Can't believe BRP is still balking at standing behind these failures :mad::mad:
I'm really starting to think that I will replace mine just in case. Even if it's under warranty, if I'm stuck in the woods, I'll be in trouble !!

What do you think ?
I've seen somewhere the alternative parts but can't find it 🙄

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks Xserver !!
I'm waiting for them to confirm if they ship in Canada 🤔

I personally hate bolts with allen keys especially when they need lots of torquing. Always afraid to strip tho hole 🤬

Question for you guys. I saw that they recommend putting red thread locker. What if I want to remove for maintenance. Am I going to fight with the bolt and my allen key socket ?
What are the chances that I screw up the bolt head !

Thanks
Luc

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My money says that your hex wrench will be the weak link. This style of bolt is used a lot on motorcycles and are very high grade. I had to up-grade my wrenches to work with these bolts successfully.
The red loctite is a bit extreme for me. Blue loctite is my choice for a bolt that I will be removing again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My new outlander experienced a devastating clutch failure 6 days after the 6 month warranty expired. It only got light use on the farm and was on its second tank of gas. The shop things a bolt was over torqued at the factory. Is this something anyone else has experienced? Related to anything I might have done? Repair is $1300!! Scared to use it. Thinking of selling it. Thanks
Me i would jump all-over my dealer and he should fix for free and go back to the company if you say that what happen is true? clutch problems should not be that pricey did anybody have the side case off yet? and then is the the bolt broken off inside the crank ? you have to know the hold store???

·
Registered
576 Posts
When BRP and the dealer balk at standing behind their product it does destroy your confidence in the machine. I had a similar experience while on the short warranty period but my Outlander has performed flawlessly ever since. However I will still not ride very far without having a riding buddy just in case.

My Can-Am is a toy for me. If I needed a reliable machine for working a farm and rode alone most of the time I would get a Honda.
Hi TG !!
Did it happen to you or you didn't take a chance and replaced the bolts ?

Thanks
Luc

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi Luc,
No my problem was air/fuel related. It happened on my first ride. I was very disappointed and ready to move on to a Honda. But the BRP dealer made good on the repair so I gave it a second chance.
I have not touched the secondary bolt yet.
My point was to identify with Bart's disappointment. In his case its a double whammy because not only has the machine failed him very early but also the dealer has not gone to bat for him. Although having to debug a new machine might be increasingly normal, in Bart's case there is no question that he should be treated better. The machine can be fixed and may give years of service thereafter but 'once burned twice shy'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts