Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2011 can am outlander 650 xt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum people!
First time poster here long time reader, I haven't been able to pinpoint my problem and I haven't found my exact problem so I thought I'd join up and ask on here.
First off I have a 2011 can am outlander 650 xt.
I bought it about a year ago and since I've gotten it I've always plowed in the winter and always by the time I'm done plowing my bike starts skipping and losing power so I've assumed that my battery was getting weak so before I went and spent the money on a new one (since she starts every time no matter the weather) I decided I would like to be able to see what my voltage is running and I'd like to have a second battery that my accessories run off of with an isolator as I have heated handle grips, light bar and winch and wanted to make sure I wasn't dead out on a trail if I decided to shut the bike off.
With that out of the way now that I've installed everything and can see my voltages on my main and primary battery I went plowing. Starting off at an idle with nothing on, both batteries are around 14.5v but every once in awhile even with nothing on the bike will start running a little rough and it will drop to around 12.2v, if my fan happens to be on when it happens it can drop to 12v or even 11.8v until I give it some fuel and it will level out and go back around 14.5 again. Wile I'm plowing by the time I get done my driveway it's spitting and popping and just generally running like crap and sometimes will be down to 11v ready to die unless I stop and Rev it up for a bit then it will come right back. Keeping in mind the only thing my bike is running is the factory headlights and the fan. I read on here a lot people saying sometimes if the battery is weak it will cause problems so I put my friends brand new battery out of his 2014 650 in mine and went plowing with the same result. By the end of it I back into my garage and with only the headlights on and the fan (or even without) it will run rough and barely keep itself above 12v. Stator? Regulator? I don't mind throwing a part at it if it will work but so far nothing I've done helps so I need a bit of direction. I have a video of what it's doing I'll post it to YouTube and post the link.
I know that was a bit winded but I think I covered everything! Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2011 can am outlander 650 xt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At the beginning of the video the headlights and fan are on the primary battery and the light bar is on, on the auxiliary battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts