Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I managed to do the engine oil with no issues, started to do the gearbox & followed the directions in the manual, I took the white plastic plug out, that's the oil level plug correct? The 2nd pic is the drain plug (see pic) However I can't for the life of me get a socket in there with the skid plate so close to take it off. I loosened most of the bolts on the skid plate to give me some space but the 2 up front near the a-arms are a PITA to remove! When I removed the white plastic plug it did drain some oil, do I need to take the other one off as well or no? I'm assuming the white plastic plug will be the filler hole? Thx for the help guys, first time changing the fluids on the Rene, didn't wanna fork out over $200 for the service.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Assuming the 2nd pic is upside down yeah that's the drain plug. You have to take it out. White plastic one is your fill. Fill till it just runs out of the one with the white plug.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the help bro, yea it was at a weird angle with my phone camera, any suggestions on getting the drain plug out?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The g2 is a pita. Last one I serviced I used a short 13mm socket and a universal joint attachment. If you can just crack it loose a bit it comes out easy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I've tried all my attachments, smaller socket wrench, might try a joint/swivel attachment like you were saying, I was hoping the same thing that it would loosen up enough to come out. I loosened one of the bolts in the front skid plate man that was a mistake had to tighten it back up & I didn't realize you have a wrench/vice grips on the other side to get bolt to tighten, the side with the nut is not easy to get to, its still loose I just quit for the night :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the tip bro, I'll try that, 15 min job....not this time LOL

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well first service complete, gearbox oil change was a little bit of a PITA, hit all the grease points, saved myself some good $$$ doing this myself, thx for the help guys, appreciate it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
remove the floorboard and foot brake. 15 minute job at most.
15 mins, huh?

I'll just say it took me a bit longer a couple of days ago. :th_smiliefrustrated

First time and quite the learning experience. Should have dropped the center skid plate long before I finally did so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can am are a blast to drive but a bitch to work on. I've done every mod and maintenance to mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.