Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 50CC KIDS Chinese quad. The starter went out possibly due to me using a car battery to try to get it started. I replaced the starter with one off eBay I could never really get it to crank fast enough to start the quad unless the spark plug was out also the starter gets very hot. Does anyone have an idea? Am I breaking these starters by using a car battery? Is there a better starter I can buy? The starter is the two bolt starter it cost 29$ on eBay. Another note I have added extra grounds for the battery and starter neither helped.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've got a Gio 50cc for each of my boys. And had some starting issues. I would recommend only using the correct size battery. A car battery is too big and will burn out ur starter. I found all my issues to be carb related. The carbs are junk but with some tuning it works pretty well now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I replaced the carb just to try and make this thing easier to deal with. so far it's been a headache I really just wanted to start my 6yo of on somthing slow and controllable to see how he did then upgrade when needed. So far 200$ for the Atv (used) and a new carb and now another starter sucks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
started my oldest two ontrx 90 hondas. loved those little things. friends would come over and ride em..never shifting, lol up on the max revs for the whole driveway…prob close to 1/4 mile. i' just cringe! but never a problem. youngest started at 4yrs on a chinese 50…worked ok. fixed it a lot tho. now he's on a 2012 trx90 and needs to move up. not much luck selling it now with snow flying! start em young!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yea I replaced the carb just to try and make this thing easier to deal with. so far it's been a headache I really just wanted to start my 6yo of on somthing slow and controllable to see how he did then upgrade when needed. So far 200$ for the Atv (used) and a new carb and now another starter sucks.
Replacing the carb may not help. It's usually an adjustment issue. I had to play around a bunch but eventually got it. Also make sure ur valves are adjusted correctly. If there out can make for harder starting.
I had the same idea. My oldest boy is 4 and here been ridin it for about a yr. although the thing is small and manageable still a pain in the butt. With the throttle lock on the throttle is limited enough so he can't take off quick. But it also mean it won't climb small hills of any uneven terrain. Also still gotta watch even with the throttle locked in, if there a long enough stretch the bike will still got fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it very hard to adjust the valves? Would it have it harder to crank or just not wanting to start? I think my 6yo will do alright he definitely isn't a dare devil so I am not too worried about him just taking off.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Valves are fairly basic to adjust. Just find TDC and set the gaps to spec. Wouldn't make it harder to crank just hard starting. Mine sounds like it hard cranking but always fires rite up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I popped the cover off and cracked it by hand and it freed somthing up because now it cranks very easy. Still won't start though I am going to get some fresh fuel due to the stuff I have is like 6-8 months old. It's getting good spark and fuel delivery though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So still having cranking issues even with a fully charged car battery it won't crank fast enough. mainly it goes a half revolution and stops but sometimes it will crank like normal. This is the 2nd new starter so I don't think that's it could it be somthing else the valves have been adjusted could it be bad timing? I really want to get this thing running by Christmas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts